FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Oasis

Author Topic: The Oasis
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a thread that's meant to be an all-purpose oasis for Hatrack on days when it's unseasonably serious or unseasonably fluffy. Today it seems rather serious. And boring.

So, fluffy conversation #1: Creamy or Chunky Peanut Butter? Bananas or no bananas? Or do you just hate sandwiches??

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Today things are waaaaay too fluffy, so I'll ask a question about...

Well, I tried to come up with something more serious than the eugenics thread I started today, but failed. So I'll be serious and talk about fluf.

I liked crunchy when I was younger, but I prefer smooth now.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Chunky PB on toast with strawberry jam. No bananas.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
green apples with creamy peanut butter
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly off-topic qusetion here (There are no rules in the Oasis right? right).

Do you have to put peanut butter in the fridge after you open it? My mom says you do, but I hate doing it because hardened PB is hard to spread.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I tell myself that I prefer chunky because it seems somehow healthier. But I always buy smooth. I haven't decided if I do it because I prefer the taste/texture or because I've decided it's less healthy and therefore a treat.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm I never keep my PB in the fridge. However if you buy the organic kind you might need to. What does it say on the bottle?
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Principal
Member # 5721

- posted      Profile for The Principal           Edit/Delete Post 
How about some hard candy?
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I never do, Beren, and I've never had it spoil.

Also.

Man, peanut butter and banana sandwhiches are one of my favorites, but I haven't had 'em in so long...

And there was a small shop called "The Oasis" at my middle school. They sold red licorice and pencils.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

That's nuts. But yes, if it's organic, it probably needs to be refridgerated.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much guys.

Finally I can say to my mom... "IN YOUR FACE WOMAN! NO MORE FROZEN PEANUT BUTTER FOR ME!"

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
creamy peanut butter w/syrup on top of french toast -- man, that was a breakfast that used to stick to my ribs all day! (my grandma would make me that before school in the mornings)

FG

[ August 10, 2004, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Ugh, I hate mixing peanut butter with eggs, even if either of the tastes is mild.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Sorry Goat. I just put down the first random thing that came to my head.

Here it goes again: I have non-photo blue pencils!!! [Big Grin] YAYYYYSSSS!!!

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago I read that peanut butter, if left unrefrigerated after opening, would develop carcinogenic compounds. It was so long ago (at least a decade, maybe more) that I have no idea what my source was, so I don't know if it's true or not.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

MMmmmmMMMmmm... Cancer.

[ August 10, 2004, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Peanut butter is awesome. We keep both creamy and crunchy in the house. I like it on toast.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Things that really don't need to be in the refrigerator:

peanut butter
honey
tomatoes
cheese*
garlic
onions
potatoes

*60 million French can't be wrong!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Ketchup is another one that people didn't used to put in the fridge.

What about fruit? I realize that this is an aesthetics thing rather than a safety issue, but I much prefer my fruit to be somewhere between room temperature or warm (I love the way apples, cherries, peaches, and just about every other fruit tastes when it's fresh picked, still warm from being in the sun.). The only exceptions to this that I can think of are watermelon, which I like chilled (although I enjoy it warm too) and grapes, which I tend to prefer frozen (although again, warm works too).

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

According to this guy and a few other sites I saw, there's a carcinogenic compound that is caused by mold, but it's more prevalent in organic peanut butter.
Annie
Member # 295

Ah, yes. The fruit should always be out in a fruit bowl. Not only does it not need refrigeration, but things with high ethylene content (tomatoes, apples) will wilt everything else in your fridge a lot faster.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

mmmm....frozen grapes. One of life's greatest joys. I am also convinced that the only way a Red Delicious apple can be eaten is cold.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Hehehehe....

The google ads for this page...

Science Fiction Thriller
She had a plan for world peace. Regardless of the consequences.

Order Your Peanut Butter
Sweet Or Savory Organic Nut Butters Peanut Butter Isn't Just For Kids!

Annie
Member # 295

Also, just about anything edible you buy at a Wal-Mart will never, ever go bad. It may cause cancer, but it did that anyway.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Peanut Butter is the food of the devil.

First you have to force midget milk maids to milk the peanuts....

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

OSHA (warning, PDF file) says that peanuts which test positive for the carcinogenic compound are not food grade and aren't allowed to be used by peanut butter companies.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Annie--it's funny 'cause it's true!

And on your earlier post--you like red delicious apples? Bleagh! Too mealy and bland for my taste. I prefer Jonathans, myself.

What's your favorite fruit, if you had to pick one?

Annie
Member # 295

quote:
What's your favorite fruit, if you had to pick one?
Mango! Mangomangomangomango.

It's hard to get good ones outside of July, but if you buy them then by the case and cut them into cubes and freeze them, you're set for the year.

The best are bought at a roadside stand in Mexico, hacked up expertly with a machete, and covered in lime juice and chile.

The mango, though, has many uses. One of my favorite things to do is to sautee a chopped mango in its own juice with cinnamon and nutmeg and serve it in crèpes with dark chocolate sauce.

Annie
Member # 295

Oh, and the best apple by far is the Macintosh. Specifically, Macintosh apples from the Bitterroot Valley of Montana that you can only get for one week in September. The British Columbian ones aren't too bad, though.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
If I could only pick one fruit, it would be easy
Strawberries...

yummmmmmm

I'm not big on Bananas though Celia made interesting Bananas Foster that were actually quite palatable considering I don't normally like anything with bananas.

btw I need that recipe celia so I can crack the whip and get Steve to make me some more [Wink]

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Peacherines. Either Peaches or Nectarines, or possibly Plums. Doesn't matter just so long as they're of the perfect ripe- and juicy-ness.

Edit: Or Banananananananas. Just as long as they're in something though.

[ August 10, 2004, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

I think I'm allergic to strawberries. My lips always tingle when I eat them.

Anyway, my favorite fruits are plums and polmegranates (sp?).

Ryuko
Member # 5125

Ack, I heart pomegranates, but I've only had one once.

Also, my lips tingle when I eat cantaloupe, but only cantaloupe, not watermelon or muskmelon.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Hey, me too Annie! There really isn't any food that I like better than a perfect late summer mango. A friend of mine from India says that even the best Mexican mangos he's tried (and he's travelled quite a bit in Mexico, so he knows what he's talking about) don't hold a candle to the mangos he gets during the hot season in India. At some point, I'm going to go over there and try one*.

*well, two. I tell a lie, three.

I'll eat only the 5 dozen mangos, thank you very much.

I love dried mangos too, as long as they're unsweetened.

Interestingly, I don't like most mango flavored candy I've tried, and most mango drinks I've sampled have been hidious.

I'll have to try that recipe, by the way. Sounds delicious. Ever have mango with sweet salty coconut milk drenched sticky rice?

Noemon
Member # 1115

In general, fruit is my favorite type of food. I think that the roseapple and the delicious apple are the only two varieties I've ever tried that I wouldn't eat again.

I love all the fruits you guys have mentioned so far, as well as musk melons, cantaloupe, honey dew melons, lychee, rambutaan, longan, langsart, papaya, watermelons, rasberries, cherries, mullberries, pears, banannas (especially some of the smaller varieties), jackfruit, starfruit, durian...

My god I'm hungry now.

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
plums and pomegranates
Goat, when those two fruits are mentioned together, don't they become euphemisms for types of kisses?

Peaches are okay, but I prefer alfalfa.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Mmmmm... lychee....
Annie
Member # 295

Noem, have you ever had the little yellow mangoes? They're probably a quarter of the size of a big standard mango, and I've seen them in the US but only tried them in Mexico. They were sweeter and mushier, but very good.

And trying an Indian mango sounds like the perfect justification for visiting the subcontinent like I 've always wanted to [Smile]

btw... where are they native to? India? Were they brought to the Americas?

*goes to research mango lore*

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Ryuko, "muskmelon"? What's that?
quote:
Goat, when those two fruits are mentioned together, don't they become euphemisms for types of kisses?
Well, I've never heard of that. Probably not to people without overactive imaginations.

[ August 10, 2004, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's an old schoolyard joke. Doesn't come over too well as text. Something like:

Kisses are like fruits:
There's peaches, (said with pursed lips)
pomegranates, (said with mouth wide open)
plums, (said with tongue extended)
and alfalfa. (said while flapping tongue)

Hey, a kid from California told it to me, and my wife had already heard it, growing up in Utah, so it can't be that obscure. And besides, this is an oasis, so gimme a break.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah Annie, they're pretty good. I don't like the texture so much, but at least they aren't super fiberous like some of the ones you get in conventional grocery stores. There is an Asian grocery not too far from my house that gets amazingly good mangos, in season of course. They actually call me when they get a shipment in, and when I walk in the door the woman who is always behind the counter says "Ah, mangos!" and goes back to their walk in to get me a case of them. Yes, I have a case a week mango habit.
But I can quit any time.

On my way home from the gym tonight I stopped and bought myself a bunch of different fruits. I'm going to gorge on them over the next couple of days. Unfortunately, the nectarines were fruit fly infested, so I had to do without.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Skillery, I've never heard that in my life. Guess it hadn't made it to KS when I was in school.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.