FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Girls Who Like Sci-Fi (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Girls Who Like Sci-Fi
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, what did you think of Wicked? I've been noticing it on the shelf for a few weeks now, and I remember my mom recommending it when it first came out, but it's never *quite* managed to be the book I take home.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read Wicked a few weeks ago after Kat posted something on here about the soundtrack. I would definately recommend it to anyone. I loved getting to see another side of the wicked witch. But I got so much more than that out of it and was very impressed. The political motivations of different characters fascinated me.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Science-fiction/fantasy of all sorts quite literally saved my life.

It was the safe haven when there was absolutely no other place to be safe.

I have, and always will, credit Herbert, McCaffery, Tolkien, Donaldson, Moorcock, Kurtz and Card with my life.

*shrugs*

I dunno if that maes me pathetic or cool. I just know it made me stay alive.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Javert and Bekenn, can I stalk you?
Whoa... never had a stalker before.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
I read Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles when I was 11 and couldn't stop. I also had a rather good background in classic fairy tales by then and it was like the next step for me. Of course, there was "Star Trek" (classic, of course) and my dad read SF and fantasy so the influence was always in the house.

Why do I read SF? Is it to be cool? No. I read it for enjoyment and to challenge myself. There's some really bad stuff out there, but there is some really amazing craft going on in the genre that keeps me reading. If I can't find something that moves me in the newly released stuff, I can always, always find one of my classic faves--Bradbury (the man who taught me how to craft my very first short stories in middle school), Pohl (I learned the beginnings of character craft from him), Asimov (where do I begin?)--and read them again, knowing I will learn something new and wonderful.

Now I'm raising my own daughter (she'll be 11 in January) to love and appreciate SF. She is treated by some of her classmates as daft, but I've taught her that geeks rule the world and one day she will be their boss. haha Incidentally, one of her gateways into SF has been A Wrinkle in Time .

[Wink]

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.