FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » In short, Graham Norton is the devil.

Author Topic: In short, Graham Norton is the devil.
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
This is from Card's latest column. He writes:

quote:
Graham Norton, on the other hand, brings a kind of manic exuberance to his show. He's so sincerely cheerful that even when he has people doing hideously embarrassing things or telling appalling stories, Norton makes it fun. You almost don't notice that your standards are being degraded to the point where your sense of public decency finally disappears altogether.

Norton is an OK interviewer -- for the fifteen seconds he actually converses with his guests. (Longer, if the guest has an appalling story to tell.) Then he has the guests stand there while he leads some poor audience members in doing something gross and hilarious.

I was not bored for a second watching Norton. Nor was I embarrassed, the way I was while watching Something About Mary, for instance -- that's a movie that's only funny while you're remembering it. While you're watching, you're embarrassed to be seeing the actors humiliate themselves.

Nobody is humiliated on The Graham Norton Effect. No matter how ridiculous or gross or offensive something is, Graham is so enthusiastic about it that you find yourself thinking, "That's a good idea."

In short, Graham Norton is the devil.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, not that I disagree that Norton presents substandard morals, but doesn't this seem a little overstated to anyone else? Saying in a serious manner, that someone "is the devil" strikes me as a little ridiculous.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It was supposed to be ridiculous.

With a grain of truth.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You think everyone is the devil Mama!

Seriously, though, don't you think that OSC's tongue is planted fairly firmly in his cheek when he says this?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually that was a colume of OSC's I didn't mind reading. The first in a while. What he says about being a bad horror movie watcher exactly fits me.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Graham Norton didn't host that show, OSC did! Graham Norton is the devil!
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Seriously, though, don't you think that OSC's tongue is planted fairly firmly in his cheek when he says this?
I suppose... still... Guess humor's just lost on me today. [Razz]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with tongue in cheek on this one, Noemon.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.