FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Drugs at the Olympics, or, Snorting the Torch

Author Topic: New column: Drugs at the Olympics, or, Snorting the Torch
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Drugs at the Olympics, or, Snorting the Torch

The Olympic Games are upon us once again. Every four years the absolute pinnacle of human athletic ability gathers together while the eyes of the world focus on the most widely anticipated competition of all -- the struggle to get past the drug tests.

You don't hear a lot about actual athletic events anymore unless one happens to be going on during the press conference announcing the latest athlete banned for artificially enhanced levels of spunkiness. So far, the roll call this year includes U.S. sprinter Torri Edwards, Irish distance runner Cathal Lombard, U.S. shot-putter Kevin Toth, Greek baseball players A.J. Brack and Derek Nicholson, Swiss cyclist Oscar Camenzind, British cyclist David Millar, U.S. sprinter Kelli White, U.S. middle-distance runner Regina Jacobs, U.S. sprinter Michelle Collins, U.S. hammer thrower John McEwen, British sprinter Dwain Chambers, U.S. sprinter Jerome Young, Mel the pizza guy at the Olympic Village commissary, and Athens 2004 Olympics mascot Phevos, who tested positive for hydrochloro-thiazide. At this point I'm just hoping there's someone left to compete.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, with all the poeple competing, that is a very small few.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
What I said in the other Olympic thread? It's just sad...SAD!
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
There were quite a few more, especially if you include the ones caught during the trials and tarred by the Balco controversy, but if I kept listing them I wouldn't have had room for my column... [Smile]

Hmm. Just noticed my editor changed "Low Earth Orbit" to "low Earth orbit." Fortunately I know the webmaster.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
2 things nailed the coffin, for me:

1) The Balco debacle
2) The dopping of Maureen Maggi, brazilian sprinter and jumper, who was one of our best hopes of a medal in athletism (remember. While americans count their medals by the ton, we count them one by one).

Now I am an unbeliever in most individual olympic sports. I'm always wondering: "This guy won. Was he 'juiced'"? [Frown]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but I have to disagree with your collumn.

If the effects of drugs on athletes is condoned in society, who knows what our money hungry bosses may do.

They may sneak drugs into to candy sitting on their desk, or the donuts on the kitchen table. Just imagine the horror of working at increased proficiency.

Next thing you'll know, they'll start putting caffeine in the morning coffee.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.