FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Jersey Governor resigns

Author Topic: New Jersey Governor resigns
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw it on CNN. He held a press cofnerence and said that he had been having an affair with a man outside of his marriage. He said he was going to resign. I dont know what there is to discuss, but I figured I would let everyone know big news.
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's still Breaking News with no story on www.cnn.com.

[ August 12, 2004, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, none of the wire services seem to be reporting it yet.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it was on TV and a few blogs have started commenting, but nothing written up yet.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Checking out news.google.com and searching for McGreevey will bring it up.
first article so far I've seen

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Wacky...
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
His poor family. [Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a red herring from a politician dodging responsibility.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

New Jersey politics is almost as entertaining as Louisiana.

*remembers legislaters fleeing to OK and NM* And Texas, I suppose.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
QE does the Govenor's Mansion in Jersey?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=4&u=/ap/20040812/ap_on_re_us/nj_governor

quote:
"My truth is that I am a gay American," he said
I find it funny how in politics you have to add "American" to everything... you just can't say "I'm gay," you have to say "I'm a gay American" or "I'm an American jello eater" or "I'm an American Volvo driver"...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

This is too bad. I hope everything works out for him and his family.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't fault him for tacking on American - if no other reason as there are enough people who wouldn't extend that consideration to a homosexual.

As to dodging responsibility, I think he's embracing (forgive the pun) responsibility. He's removing the one bit of blackmail that could compromise his position and his office.

And quite frankly, I'm told it's usually a traumatic experience to "come out of the closet." I can't imagine doing it on national television.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor -- I agree... while I do find it funny, I also find it sad that a gay politician does have to say that he's a gay American in order to have a better chance of being seen as a human being...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Coming out removes the possibility of blackmail. Why does he have to resign?
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I'd have to look, but he's admitted to an affair outside of his marriage.

Which doesn't qualify as a technical violation of his office insofar as I am aware, but I suspect there are enough voters who would object to the affair, never mind the homosexual element, that the governor is moving preemptively.

Better to go out on a high note rather than waiting for the rabid infighting and political maneuvering sure to take place by his opponents and within his own party.

This way he might even have a chance at still functioning effectively in his role as governor.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As to dodging responsibility, I think he's embracing (forgive the pun) responsibility. He's removing the one bit of blackmail that could compromise his position and his office.
I must say, I have a lot of respect for those who are willing to resign from their positions. I think it shows a lot of humility on their part. I don't look at it as a sign of "weakness" or "giving up".
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

If he resigned because he didn't want to drag his family through a media circus, I could respect that.

I question McGreevey’s motive for resigning because he is expecting a sexual harassment suit.

quote:
McGreevey’s decision comes ahead of expected sex-harassment lawsuit....

WABC-TV of New York reported that McGreevey was expecting a lawsuit by a former aide accusing him of sexual harassment. The station identified the former aide as Golan Cipel, who resigned as McGreevey’s security adviser in 2002 after months of questioning about his credentials and job qualifications.
Source: MSNBC

TMedina
Member # 6649

To be fair, his resignation will not spare him a sexual harassment suit.

It will, however, minimize the damage done to the office.

Which is still a respectable decision, in my humble opinion.

-Trevor

TMedina
Member # 6649

Yahoo News

Looks like he was moving pre-emptively to try and minimize damage from having made several bad decisions.

-Trevor

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

It looks like McGreevey put his lover on the state's payroll for a job he was unqualified for--homeland security adviser.

This is not aboug being gay, this is about misappropriation of tax payer's funds.

From Trevor's link:

quote:
Two sources close to McGreevey, both speaking on condition of anonymity, said the man involved in the affair was Golan Cipel, an Israeli poet who worked briefly for the governor as a homeland security adviser despite having no security experience.

One source, a senior McGreevey political adviser, said Cipel threatened McGreevey several weeks ago that unless he was paid "millions of dollars," Cipel would file a lawsuit against the governor charging him with sexual harassment.

But scandal marred McGreevey's tenure following questions over a series of questionable appointments, including the naming of Cipel to the newly created post of homeland security adviser. Cipel was named to the job without any background check or official announcement....

Reporters soon questioned what Cipel did to earn his $110,000 salary and in March 2002, he was reassigned to a "special counsel" job. A few months later, Cipel left his state government position.

katharina
Member # 827

This guy had the same qualifications as Lizzie Grubman. What on earth was the governor thinking? That no one would notice?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.