FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Knacks (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Knacks
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a thread like this long ago on the BML that Saudade posted, and it was way fun, so I thought I'd revive the subject.

Do any of you guys have knacks? Are knacks real?

For instance, Grisha has the ability to summon people. It really works. I've seen it happen over and over that we will be talking and he'll mention someone and next thing you know they pop up on AIM. It's a very handy knack.

A guy I used to work with had the knack of always getting a great parking place at a restaurant. No matter how crowded it was, one just by the door would open up when he arrived. We laughed because it happened over and over again, after we first started noticing it.

Somebody on the old thread claimed she never ever got a fortune in her cookie at Chinese restaurants. Like even if they swapped at the last moment, the one she opened would be empty. <laughs>

What knacks do you people have? Are they hereditary or what? Are they lifelong things, or can they be acquired or lost?

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the ability to force a lane or line to slow down. All I have to do is get in that lane or line.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Wow, Porter! That's a handy one to have! [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I'd call it a knack, but my husband has an extreme affinity with dogs. We have pictures of him as a kid laying in the middle of a pack of dogs he didn't know. Dogs, in general, aren't extremely difficult to get along with, but even guard dogs and stray dogs won't bark at him. There's a crazy dog named Bob nearby that barks at/attacks everyone, but when Jes went over there once, Bob just put his paws on Jesse and looked at him. It's kinda weird. The animals at the zoo always come up to him.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
The "stop washing the Ickymobile" thread reminded me that whenever one of my Aunts goes on vacation, there's a hurricane. Like this week LOL. I'm not sure if that's more of a knack or a curse, though.
Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Got a knack for feeling what people feel and reading people if my own mind doesn't get in the way.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a knack for finding people--my roommate and I call it "People Dowsing". I concentrate on what the person looks like, and I can feel my body being pulled into the direction they're in. I've done it ever since I was a child, which is why I've never worried when I get separated from my parents/group.
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That is the coolest thing ever.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know whether this is luck or a knack or what, but it seems that no matter how bad things seem they inevitably fall into place for me. For instance, when I was living in Europe last semester, I missed my train. Not so good right? But then the next train I got on I made friends with the couple sitting in my compartment. It turned out that they were transferring onto all the same trains I was transferring to, they told me to follow them and I didnt miss another train that trip. I emailed them a couple weeks later to say I would be going through their country. They picked me up at the station toured me around their whole country(Liechtenstein, its very small) and even made a traditional swiss dinner in their home. A missed train turned into a good story and a great friendship. This sort of thing always seems to happen to me.
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post 
As weird as it sounds, I have a knack for making connections. This is going to sound like me bragging that I'm Ms. Popular, but crap, it's all I've got. [Razz] In person, I have a very open and inviting personality. I also treat females and males the exact same way and I give off the vibe that I love people and I'm sincerely interested in them. Men get the impression I am in love with them, and chicks get the impression they have a new best friend. It's nice having so many people eager to hang out and being invited to a ton of parties and events in town, but there are two major downsides. Firstly, I am lazy and often hate doing stuff, so people's feelings get hurt when I become anti-social for a couple weeks. The second is that people often tend to become quite possesive and demand a ton of my attention. This has led to some nasty hate letters.

I feel it's a knack though, cause people are often pointing out to me this quality I seem to have. Really, I don't try to lead people on, or reel them in for a killing. I just am genuinely interested in people when I first meet them.

[ August 16, 2004, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: NdRa ]

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
i have a knack for putting pieces of things together in different ways. crafts, words, whatever.

And my fathers family has a curse of always choosing the worst line. its quite impressive

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
I can bring friends together over decades of time.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you read this AK, sorry bout that! I was disconnected because this network doesn't like me. Didn't mean to be rude...
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who says she's knacky, but I haven't had a chance to see it.

My mother can turn electronics on and off when she's mad or upset, and I know that there have been times, mostly when I'm upset, that streetlights turn off around me.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

I can run 'round the corner for whatever purpose.
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed 2: Cruise Control
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend Sharona has a knack.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

bev,

so much material. neh?

fallow

Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a knack for running into people from my hometown whenever I travel. It drives my wife crazy.

[ August 16, 2004, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Lost Ashes ]

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a knack for getting people to tell me personal, intimate things. And for knowing what to say to help them. I call it "being Persephone", because she was the maiden who fell into darkness and then became Queen of the Underworld. I had my Dark Maiden time as a girl, and now that I am a woman, I find myself helping others find their way through the Underworld.

I don't fear hearing people tell me of their problems, because I uncannily find myself saying exactly what they need to hear. Even if it makes them cry or get angry, they keep talking to me until they are ready to take some sort of positive action. (examples - breaking up with an abusive boyfriend, seeking help dealing with depression and poor body image after a long-ago rape, learning how to make a marriage better, finding a way through religious issues...)

It's a strange knack to have, but I am thankful for this gift. Also, feel free to contact me if you need to use it. I cannot promise miracles, but I can certainly offer a listening ear, unconditional love and care, and all the wisdom that comes from experience and inspiration.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife might as well be named Cassandra. She's an incredible combination of brilliant and intuitive, and as a result can almost always see things coming. She always calls them correctly, but people never listen to her. As you can imagine, she finds this fairly frustrating.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am afraid that my son has a knack for controlling the weather.

We adopted him from Astrakhan Russia, which used to have a desert hot climate, but has had "several straight years of mild and cool weather."

While we were there the weather was perfect.

Since coming home with him, the weather has been great. The record Hail hit before we were back. The big wind storm came through only after he fell asleep.

He fell asleep, and slept through, the worst thunderstorm of the year.

St. Louis is famous for its swamp like August humidity and heat. We were hitting 90's to 100+ on a steady basis.

Then I told Sasha it was too hot for us to go outside and play.

Ever since we've experienced record low temps.

I've had to wear a jacket in August.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, I think your son needs to come live in Phoenix. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Like Promethius, I have a knack for always landing on my feet, no matter what. Then, one day, everything starts going wrong... Just ignore me and carry on...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I can find anything, as long as it's not mine.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to think I had a knack for finding metal objects. But I'm starting to lose faith in that one. Can't remember why, exactly. Maybe I need to boost my iron supplements. [Wink]

I have a lot of queer dreams.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I am very good at taking tests. Any type of test, be it essay, math, multiple choice, etc. I never get anxiety of any kind. Perhaps related to this, I usually know about how well I am going to do.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Jaiden, no problem, dear! I figured it was something like that! [Smile]

[ August 16, 2004, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have a lot of queer dreams.
Isn't that less of a knack and more of a sexual orientation?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a knack for sensing when I am about to meet old friends again after a long period of time. I usually start dreaming about them months in advance. If there is a span of a month or more between dreams, it will be a while before we meet. When the dreams begin to recurr or concurr (night after night), I know that I will be seeing them very soon.

My dreams never fail to be accurate. They don't tell me the circumstances, only that I will see the particular person or persons in the near future.

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Most wives can do that Noeman - we're just not used to them being right. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter (Ivygirl) seems to have the knack that PSI says her husband has (above) although more-so with cats, but with all animals. They just gravitate to her no matter where we are, and when she volunteered for awhile with an animal shelter, the most-scared and untrusting animals would calm for her when they wouldn't for anyone else. Even when she was a toddler, she had this way with animals that I've never seen -- never afraid of them in the slightest.

Good thing she plans to be a vet.

Farmgirl

[ August 17, 2004, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be just that, Farmgirl. No fear.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I can deal with spiders. I think a lot of knacks are things you don't know you have until you meet someone like my husband.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a knack for losing things.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Christ
Member # 5714

- posted      Profile for Anti-Christ           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ooh my little pretty one, pretty one.
When you gonna give me some time, Sharona?
Ooh you make my motor run, my motor run.
Gun it comin' off of the line Sharona
Never gonna stop, give it up.
Such a dirty mind. I always get it up for the touch
of the younger kind. My my my i yi woo. M M M My Sharona...

Wait, that's The Knack... nevermind.
Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

AJ! I also have that knack. I think I've finally figured it out. Since the mind is a quantum computing device, the presence of some minds in a particular vicinity can cause nearby objects spontaneously to tunnel in and out of their particular locations in the spacetime continuum. That's why I can search all over for my screwdriver, for instance, that I just had a second ago, and find it nowhere, then an hour later it's sitting again in plain view on the table where I already looked. It's got to be a quantum field effect of some sort.

My older sister has the opposite knack. When things are in a superposition of states, there/not there, she can cause the probability wave to collapse, producing the object. Like when she went off to college (the first time I was without her help in finding my stuff) I'd call her up in Chapel Hill and say "Laurie, where are my tennis shoes?" She'd say "in the downstairs bathroom, under the sink", and even though I just looked there and they weren't there, I'd go back down and look and there they were. It's obviously an offshoot of quantum electrodynamics that's not well understood at this time due to the complexity of the systems (tennis shoes contain so many particles) involved, and our complete lack of knowledge about the quantum nature of the brain/mind.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a knack for running into people I know. I've pretty much always had it, at that. I was in kindergarten and flying to Florida with my family. We were delayed in Detroit for four hours (come to think of it, I've got a knack for being delayed on flights...) and I saw a kid from my class. I can't leave a building in Madison without seeing someone I know (I ran to the bookstore for work - literally a three-minute walk - and I saw two people I know). I see people overseas, I see people in different states, I see people when I take out the trash. I swear, I'm cursed.

At least I don't see dead people. Yet.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I come from a long line of women who can talk to animals. My great-grandmother who came over from Scotland loved animals far more than she loved people, and she had this "voice" she used with them. A voice that can hold animals entranced, trusting. It was amazing to behold.

She had only one daughter who had only one daughter (my mother) and this knack was passed on to each. Me and my sister don't particularly have it, though.

Porter and I have a knack for making it rain here in the middle of the desert in the thick of a 6 year drought. All we have to do is wash our car. Obviously, we don't wash our car very often.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I have left my purse in dozens of places, including gas stations, restaurants, taxi cabs, school classrooms, and bathrooms, and I have always gotten it back with everything in it.

Is that a knack?

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
either that, or a very bad habit, Brinestone.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
I'd call her up in Chapel Hill and say "Laurie, where are my tennis shoes?" She'd say "in the downstairs bathroom, under the sink", and even though I just looked there and they weren't there, I'd go back down and look and there they were.
This happens with me and my husband all the time. It usually goes

"Wheres ____"
"it's [preposition] _____"
"I just looked... oh, thanks!"

Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a knack for traveling--moving through crowdsm finding stuff in hotels, et cetera. When I go to conventions with groups, they rely on me.
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't discovered my knack yet, but my dad has a pretty cool one. He always knows when the oven timer is about to go off. He'll put something in the oven and set the timer, then go off and do something else, like watch TV or use his flight simulator, or whatever. Then after a while, once he feels that enough time has passed that the food is probably about done, he'll get up and start walking toward the kitchen. And sure enough, the timer will beep as he's on the way in. He pays no attention to the clock, mind you. You might think he simply looks at what time it is when he puts the food in and glances at the clock periodically to see if the right amount of time has passed. But he doesn't look at the clock at all. He just knows.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this is a knack, but when i rent a movie, it's almost always played on TV while I'm watching it in my VCR or DVD player (unless it's a new release).
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a knack...or it could be a bad habit. I am able to say the wrong thing at the wrong time. oh and I am also able to get away with arguing with officers......and win.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few different knacks:

1: I can manipulate chance at whatever game I am playing so that I have a huge disadvantage.

2: I have a knack for finding things.

3: Same as Danzig's, except the huge amount of anxiety I get when giving a talk/speach makes up for it.

4: Same as PSI's husband / Farmgirl's Daughter

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
My boss has finally discovered my knacks, and they're good ones for a scrivener to have....

1. I'm a walking dictionary. They haven't been able to stump me yet, and in fact I've called them on it when they try to spell a word for me thinking I won't know it. LOL

2. I seem to know my boss' clients better than him at times. Today was the second time in a month that I caught a potential problem before it became a real problem - this time because he didn't realize that a client had completely restated a trust before doing his most recent amendment. Seems that the restatement changes the naming conventions of future amendments, so now we get to redo the amendment before we send everything out. At least I found it BEFORE the client signed (or else he'd have to go back to the client with his tail between his legs for missing it).

Oh, and the boss was quite tickled when I told him what I use as my nickname here!

Goody
(edited for hit send too soon)

[ August 26, 2004, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
<<<----- Jealous of Goody's knack!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no knacks that I can think of, though I do have a lot of talents.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to have a small knack for diagnosing car problems. I remember one time when a group of people I as with decided it would be fun to test me. Of all the (real life) scenarios they gave me, I only missed one (it was a problem with a diesel engine and I have no experience at all with diesels).
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.