FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A fantastic, thought provoking column by OSC (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A fantastic, thought provoking column by OSC
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, thanks for replying to my stuff. I'll think about what you had to say.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

I think if you go back and read my last post you'll find that you don't have to take it as a defense of the US gong to war in Iraq. I meant the words far more generally than that. You read in a defense of using the military instrument of power in Iraq, but I was really trying to get you to agree that it isn't immoral to use the economic instrument of power (sanctions) in order to influence the human rights record of another nation, such as China.

Sorry you took offense.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think sanctions are usually a lot more immoral than military power. They don't do anything but piss the populace off and cement the hold of the state over them by giving the state an excuse to keep up a state of emergency. The people who get the shaft aren't the people in power, that's for sure. So, they do nothing to make them step down.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.