FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It WAS Aberforth! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: It WAS Aberforth!
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
That was what I said when I read it, I said to myself, Jenny, I said, that barkeep is Aberforth Dumbledore. And it was.

She speaks

Rowling said several interesting things in this interview, which will please all the HP addicts, but mostly I am pleased that the barkeep was Aberforth.

And she seems to be implying that the sixth book is halfway done. [Party]

Happy Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Halfway done after only a year? Sweeeeet. I can dream of a summer 05 release.

It could happen. [Big Grin]

Edit: okay, after actually reading the interview...this stuff was just too juicy to pass up.

quote:
Q:What form does Dumbledore’s Patronus take?

A:Good question. Can anyone guess? You have had a clue. There was a little whisper there. It is a phoenix, which is very representative of Dumbledore for reasons that I am sure you can guess.

quote:
I thought that I would give you something though, rather than get to the end of today and think that I have not given you a lot. There are two questions that I have never been asked but that I should have been asked, if you know what I mean. If you want to speculate on anything, you should speculate on these two things, which will point you in the right direction. The first question that I have never been asked—it has probably been asked in a chatroom but no one has ever asked me—is, “Why didn’t Voldemort die?” Not, “Why did Harry live?” but, “Why didn’t Voldemort die?” The killing curse rebounded, so he should have died. Why didn’t he? At the end of Goblet of Fire he says that one or more of the steps that he took enabled him to survive. You should be wondering what he did to make sure that he did not die—I will put it that way. I don’t think that it is guessable. It may be—someone could guess it—but you should be asking yourself that question, particularly now that you know about the prophesy. I’d better stop there or I will really incriminate myself. The other question that I am surprised no one has asked me since Phoenix came out—I thought that people would—is why Dumbledore did not kill or try to kill Voldemort in the scene in the ministry. I know that I am giving a lot away to people who have not read the book. Although Dumbledore gives a kind of reason to Voldemort, it is not the real reason. When I mentioned that question to my husband—I told Neil that I was going to mention it to you—he said that it was because Voldemort knows that there are two more books to come. As you can see, we are on the same literary wavelength. [Laughter]. That is not the answer; Dumbledore knows something slightly more profound than that. If you want to wonder about anything, I would advise you to concentrate on those two questions. That might take you a little bit further.

I'll write something about thise, I'm just going to happily stew on these for a while.

[ August 17, 2004, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do I have the feeling that she'll have the entire series finished before Martin gets done with A Feast for Crows?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing to stew on. I think it's become fairly obvious that Voldemort's life is in some way connected to Harry's, and that it is essential for Harry to die in order for Voldemort to die, as well.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Yknow, Jen, you call me to scream that she's preggers, or to tell me about Dream and Thessaly, but you don't call about the interesting things? This strikes me as unfair.
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you all find the two sentences from Half Blood Prince behind the vault door?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's Crookshanks

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
TomD, you are no fun at all. [Razz]

I'm really curious as to why a pheonix is so representative of Dumbledore.

quote:
I think it's become fairly obvious that Voldemort's life is in some way connected to Harry's, and that it is essential for Harry to die in order for Voldemort to die, as well.
Yes true, but how does this work in to what Dumbly told Voldemort in the Ministry? There are worse things than Death. So dying might not be the worst thing to happen in the Voldie/Harry showdown. It might be something else.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why is the barman of the Hog’s Head vaguely familiar to Harry? Is he Dumbledore’s brother?

Ooh—you are getting good. Why do you think that it is Aberforth? [Audience member: Various clues. He smells of goats and he looks a bit like Dumbledore]. I was quite proud of that clue. That is all that I am going to say. [Laughter]. Well yes, obviously. I like the goat clue—I sniggered to myself about that one.

I missed the goat clue... OK, so why does the barman smelling like goats signify that he's Aberforth?
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Voldemort's life is in some way connected to Harry's, and that it is essential for Harry to die in order for Voldemort to die, as well.
I think that they have a part of the others life force....that is what was implied, at least to me, when the connection between them was mentioned in the books.

So either they both die, or they continue to live.

How much life each gets is the question. If it is possible for Voldemort to "eat" harrys life (think Death Eaters here) because of the connection between them, why couldn't Harry do the same to him, without the mess?

Lots of possible directions here.....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

:bump:
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

quote:
I missed the goat clue... OK, so why does the barman smelling like goats signify that he's Aberforth?
*snigger*

"My own brother, Aberforth, was prosecuted for practicing inappropriate charms on a goat. It was all over the papers, but did Aberforth hide? No, he did not! He held his head high and went about his business as usual! Of course, I'm not entire sure he can read, so that may not have been bravery..."

GoF, Chapter 24. Dumbledore is like the favorite grandpa I wish I had. [Smile]

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Dumbledore has two Phoenix references - the "Order of the Phoenix" and his pet Fawkes.

It may very well Dumbledore is entirely too friendly with his pet bird or he shares similar traits with the bird.

And for some reason, I keep hearing the parrot/fridge joke.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did you all find the two sentences from Half Blood Prince behind the vault door?
I got the door open, but there's nothing behind it. Why?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Section: Rumours
The text on the book behind the (ahem) impossible-to-open door means something highly significant.

It doesn't; it's simply filler, as many of you knew. (And if you don't understand what I'm talking about here, you weren't online when a clever Potter fan hacked his way through the door with the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on it.)

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought it was pretty clear that either Voldemort or Harry has to die in the prophecy.

Did I miss something?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

quote:
I got the door open, but there's nothing behind it. Why?
Uh... because there is something behind the door. If you see the black behind the door, you're doing it correctly. Just find the lightswitch... and go from there. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

The light switch doesn't change what's behind the door. What am I doing wrong here?
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I just have to say, cause I've looked every which way---

what door??

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Tom. To me it seems pretty apparent that if Voldemort dies, Harry dies -- that they are intrinsically bound to each other. Dumbledore refuses to kill Voldemort because it would kill Harry, and perhaps because he thinks Voldemort having to "live" tied to Harry is a worse punishment for him than death...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Actually, he didn't kill Voldemort at the very end because Voldemort was inside Harry.

Edit: Let me rephrase that: Dumbledore didn't kill Voldemort before Harry was possessed because of a genuine dislike of killing. It's only after Harry is possessed that Dumbledore expresses any fear of killing Harry.

I think only Voldemort can kill Harry, and only Harry can kill Voldemort, assuming the prophecy is true.

Dagonee

[ August 20, 2004, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Ni! Harry will kill Voldemort proper yes, but not before he turns completely evil by means of possesion by Voldemort. Neville will then fulfill the prohpecy of killing the dark lord. Neville is who the phrophecy is about, Harry is the dark lord.

[ August 20, 2004, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Rhaegar The Fool ]

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh please, Ron and Hermoine run off to the English equivelant of Vegas and get hitched. Harry, in horrible melodrama at the fear of being alone, kills himself and, unexpectedly, Voldemorte also.

---T_Smith

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean I get Ginny? Cuz I'd be cool with that.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

There's a lightswitch behind the door. Click on the black space about 1/3 of the width from the left, on a level even with the bottom of the windowsill. Click around in that area and the light should turn on, giving you yet another puzzle (and another after that), and then the (possibly not-really-worth-it) "prize."

The door is what you see when you click on the hairtie (with the dialogue bubble "?") on the main page.

And obviously, Harry destroys Voldemort with help from the reformed Draco, who reformed because of his deep, abiding love of Harry and loathing of ugly tattoos. [Wink]

Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

- posted      Profile for Khal Drogo   Email Khal Drogo         Edit/Delete Post 
What game is this?
Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Only Neville can kill Voldemorte.

However, Voldemorte believes that Harry is the one that can kill him, and is doing everything in his power to kill Harry. He ignores Neville as being beneath his contempt. This is the real thing that Dumbledore feels guilty about. He has set up Harry as bait.

Draco will develop a love/hate relationship with Hermonie, but Ron will beat him up in a fight.

Draco will be used and abused by Voldemorte to get to Harry, and begin to rebel against the darkness because of it. Draco's father will encourage this use as a neccesary sacrifice for the greater-er-power. This will send a nasty split between father and son, resulting in Draco cursing his father. Draco's still a pain though and won't turn all goody goody.

Voldemorte, possibly via Draco, will almost kill Harry when Snape gives his life for him. As Snape dies he will say something about Harry reminding him of Harry's mother.

Neville, and the spirits of his parents, the best Auror's ever, will then enter and totally destroy Voldemorte.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

- posted      Profile for Khal Drogo   Email Khal Drogo         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that what Rhaegar said, only with Harry dieing.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

I'd be really, really, REALLY surprised if Rowling were to kill off Harry (or Ron, or Hermione). They're the main characters, and these are kids' books (even if teens and adults like them too), and usually people who write kids' books don't kill off the main protagonists that kids are gonna identify with...
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and these are kids' books
I understand that this was never the intention.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

She flat out said Harry survives book 7 in the interview linked in this thread.

Dagonee

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, will we see more of Snape?

You always see a lot of Snape, because he is a gift of a character. I hesitate to say that I love him. [Audience member: I do]. You do? This is a very worrying thing. Are you thinking about Alan Rickman or about Snape? [Laughter]. Isn’t this life, though? I make this hero—Harry, obviously—and there he is on the screen, the perfect Harry, because Dan is very much as I imagine Harry, but who does every girl under the age of 15 fall in love with? Tom Felton as Draco Malfoy. Girls, stop going for the bad guy. Go for a nice man in the first place. It took me 35 years to learn that, but I am giving you that nugget free, right now, at the beginning of your love lives.

I love her. Does her interview style remind anyone else of CT?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

No she doesn't. She says that he will survive *until* book 7, but she explicitly refuses to say whether he will live through that book.

"Well, I don’t think it is giving too much away to say that he will survive to book seven, mainly because I do not want to be strangled by you lot, but I am not going to say whether he grows any older than that "

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, I misread that when I scanned it.

Cool. Harry dies, Voldemort wins.

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

I feel really slow, but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do with the darts.
quote:
What game is this?
It's at J.K. Rowling's website , and I don't know that it's necessarily game, it's just her way of making you work for any new information.
Carrie
Member # 394

Do you remember a vault number?
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

Oh! Thanks!
(Can you tell that I never play any video or computer games? I have no clue how to think through these kinds of puzzles!)

Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

In the first room, where do you click to go on?
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

The hair tie.
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

I will come up with an important six-digit number!

...What's Harry's birthday?

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The phone number to the ministry of magic. It's at the beginning of Order of the Pheonix.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Thoughts:

quote:
I think that they have a part of the others life force....that is what was implied, at least to me, when the connection between them was mentioned in the books.

Since the prophecy says "neither will live while the other survives" it makes it sound like one will die and one will live.

Also, the prophecy says that the "dark lord will mark him as his equal" so unless Neville has a secret curse scar or something representative that we don't know about, that rules him out too.

But something important is going on because there is no reason to think that JKR would bring all this Neville stuff up without a good reason.

It's been suggested that Dumbledore/Grindlewald equals some archaic Harry/Voldemort thing that is part of a cycle, but I don't think so, since it happened in 1945 and Dumbledore has been alive for at least 600 years.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Dumbledore's been alive for 600 years?

Do a lot of wizards live that long? Harry's Charms OWL examiner told him that s/he had been Dumbledore's Charms examiner as well in OOP.

Dagonee

Carrie
Member # 394

No, the vault number is not Harry's birthday (July 31, 1981) nor is it the number to the Ministry of Magic (62442). It's something that I can't figure out the significance of... 302723.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Dag. But I realized that when they say he worked with Nicolas Flamel and that they invented the Sorcerer's stone (which creates the elixir of life or whatever) and Flamel had been alive for some 660 years, that means Dumbledore had too, I think.

Plus the whole phoenix thing.

[ August 20, 2004, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure that this is what you are arguing, PSI, but Nicholas Flamel didn't necessarily invent the Philosopher's Stone at the beginning of his career.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Well, one would suspect that he did it before he got too old...I haven't seen anything saying that wizards age slowly or anything...so assuming they live as long as humans, he would have had to have made it within a century of being born.

Unless I missed something.

I mean, Flamel only got to be 667 or whatever by drinking the elixir of life....that's why he died (or is expected to die) since the stone was destroyed.

edit: spelling

[ August 20, 2004, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Dumbledore can't be that old, he took his NEWTS when Professor Marchbanks was around, and unless She'd doped up on the Elixer of Life, I'm sure it's within the reasonable perameters of a wizard generation or two.

[ August 20, 2004, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Flamel could have used some sort of imperfect method to extend him lifespan while searching for the formula for the philosophers' stone. Dumbledore could have used time travel to go back and work with Flamel. When there's magic involved, there are always numerous possibilities.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.