FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Picky Bear and Beer - Lots of Beer

Author Topic: Picky Bear and Beer - Lots of Beer
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
You win some, you lose some. Rainier Beer couldn't have asked for better publicity than this. Busch executives, OTOH, are probably crying in their ... you know. [Wink]

Bear Drinks 36 Cans of Favorite Beer

quote:
Bear Drinks 36 Cans of Favorite Beer
Black Bear Found Passed Out at Campground Apparently Consumed 36 Cans of His Favorite Beer

The Associated Press

BAKER LAKE, Wash. Aug. 17, 2004 — Rain-eeeeer .... Bear? When state Fish and Wildlife agents recently found a black bear passed out on the lawn of Baker Lake Resort, there were some clues scattered nearby dozens of empty cans of Rainier Beer.

The bear apparently got into campers' coolers and used his claws and teeth to puncture the cans. And not just any cans.

"He drank the Rainier and wouldn't drink the Busch beer," said Lisa Broxson, bookkeeper at the campground and cabins resort east of Mount Baker.

Fish and Wildlife enforcement Sgt. Bill Heinck said the bear did try one can of Busch, but ignored the rest. (emphasis added)

"He didn't like that (Busch) and consumed, as near as we can tell, about 36 cans of Rainier."

A wildlife agent tried to chase the bear from the campground but the animal just climbed a tree to sleep it off for another four hours. Agents finally herded the bear away, but it returned the next morning.

Agents then used a large, humane trap to capture it for relocation, baiting the trap with the usual: doughnuts, honey and, in this case, two open cans of Rainier. That did the trick.
(emphasis added)

"This is a new one on me," Heinck said. "I've known them to get into cans, but nothing like this. And it definitely had a preference."

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Ben Affleck will sponsor the bear into his 12 step program.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Guess you could say this bear was not one for beating around the busch.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
The first person who makes a pun using the words 'unbearable', 'bearly' or 'grin and bear it' gets stabbed in the eye. *looks menacing*

This link was funny as hell, by the way. [Big Grin]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

The poor bear! First it gets woken up rudely while it's hungover. Then it gets trapped to get shipped to a beer-free location. One dang thing after another.

The old saying is true:

"When it Rainiers, it pours."

*no apologies*

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I can't understand what ursine.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

You're quite welcome, CT! [Smile]

Nothing would make me happier than to have a blip in the laws of probability - causing numerous Hatrackers to open and read the article during conference calls and meetings.

It's the same kind of daydreaming I do on those 3 or 4 days out of the year when I buy a lottery ticket. [Smile]

(reading it with a mouthful of milk is OK, too.)

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that on NPR this morning while I was exercising and started laughing.

The announcer mentioned the old 70's ads for beer and I remembered these - anyone else remember these or others?

Motorcycle cruising down the road to "Rrrraaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiii- gear shift - nnnnniiiieeeeeeeeerrrrrr - gear shift - bbbeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr"

and (Hamm's) tune - very close to the tune used for The Hobbit cartoon when the dwarves were singing about going to the Misty mountains -

"From the land of sky blue wat-a-ter (waahhhter)"

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Here comes the king, here comes the big number one.
Doo-doo-doo-doo.
Here comes the something something barrel of fun?
When you say bud now, you've said it all, when you say bud you've said it all.

sndrake
Member # 4941

I wonder if anyone is going to try for a comment from a Busch spokesperson.

I already know what I would do if I worked for the company and had to talk to the press:

I'd remind them that bears are known to drink pond scum - and enjoy it!

--Sndrake, spinmeister for hire--

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Which is a highly dubious evaluation of the quality of Busch bear...err...beer.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
ive never had this rainier beer... Ill have to give it a try and see what the bear was obviously enjoying [Smile]
Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently this bear had a lax parent. If he'd had a firm mentor he would have known better than to even try the Busch.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.