FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Regrets

Author Topic: Regrets
mister boy
Member # 6761

- posted      Profile for mister boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Please accept my apologies to everyone involved for the uncivil behavior I displayed in the 'A Canadian's Perspective' thread today. The matters under discussion have been of immense importance to me for many years, and I am not familiar with discussing such things in casual settings where interpersonal considerations count for a lot. I wanted to withdraw much earlier from the discussion but felt my sincerity was being questioned when more important questions were at stake. My reactions escalated from there in concert with the other individual involved. Not an excuse. I take full responsibility. Be well.
Posts: 85 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, it's all good.

As Dag noted, neither you nor the thread so much as registered on the Rack's Needle Of Snarky.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I'm glad you're here. Cake?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't read the whole thread, but I did read your first post. You did not offend me, and I was glad to see your perspective. It was eye-opening, and you had many good points. I hope you'll stick around and continue to contribute here!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
We'd love for you to continue to post. I was working here at my house and I was flitting between the kitchen, where I was painting cabinets, and the computer because the thread was interesting. Be well.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt upset about the way that thread was going myself, mister boy--there has seldom been a new poster here I've been more predisposed to like enormously, sight unseen, and few people I like here more than Mike...it wasn't a good combination. I hope you'll continue to be a presence here.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's cool. [Cool] I think any rudeness was confined to a single individual, so you don't have to make up with us. And I don't think saxon holds a grudge, although obviously I don't speak for him.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
David, I too hope you'll stick around. You're a valuable addition to Hatrack. I thought your initial post was well thought out and was very thought provoking. [Hat]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Mister boy, you have just passed through your first initiation ceremony on your journey to becoming a full-fledged Jatraquero. The first is usually the hardest. Welcome!
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
*Careful, David - they're going to start posting hug graemlins around your name any minute now.*
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
*leaving before the hugs start flying*

Those things can take out an eye.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to keep leaving issues of Harper's on the 'loo for your wife.

[Big Grin]

(Incidentally, I also am Canadian, and caught the first half of that thread. I was curious to see where it would go, but when I came back it was gone.)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa! A Canadian being uncivil????!!! [Eek!]

So, are you like from Quebec or something?

[Razz]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Having had some time to cool off, I think I was being a little oversensitive, and that I may have said some things that rubbed the wrong way as well. Mister Boy, you don't know me, so you may have received my comments in the "An American" thread in a way that I didn't intend. Likewise, I don't know you, so I took some of the things you said in the wrong way. I'd like to say, though, that I do agree with a lot of the things you had to say in your initial post, and that it was an exceptionally well-thought-out and well-written post. I don't hold any grudge against you, and I do hope that you stick around and get to know us all a little better. You seem an intelligent and interesting person, and I think the forum would be the better for having you around.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
I am mostly a lurker. I liked what you wrote. I agreed with it.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...just came back from work, and didn't find the "Canadian" thread...could someone please tell me why the thread was erased?
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I went to bed and missed all the controversy.

I'm sorry if anyone got offended at my post - I didn't mean it in a negative every American is like this way, but more to illustrate a problem that I think does exist.

(For the record, I think under-education in terms of history exists in Australia as well - there is a youth culture that is almost wilfully proud not to know about their heritage.)

Anyway - sorry if people got upset because of that.

Mister Boy - I found your first post really really interesting, and very well written. Please don't feel you can't continue to express your opinions here - I for one certainly would like to see more of them.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Ed - there were some issues and the thread was deleted.

I think most of the ruffled feathers have been smoothed - no lasting damage done and no charred corpses to speak of.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I love my country, but sometimes the truth hurts.

I have never been so embarassed to be an American as I was during my month in Europe. Not that it stopped me from staring down a comedian in a night club, mind you.

Although to be fair, when you live in England, you can jaunt to another country for the weekend. In America, not so much.

Which is the reason I choose to explain our profound lack of cultural appreciation and awareness.

-Trevor

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
TMedina: you may have a point there...it's easier for Europeans to travel and know other cultures than, say, an American, a Chinese, a Brazilian, an Australian or a Russian. The reason? Sheer country size.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Actually, Australians are still more multi-cultural than Americans - primarily because of a cultural emphasis to travel abroad.

Most of the fellow tourists I met were either Aussies or New Zealanders.

-Trevor

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, mrB didn't realize that deleting the first post from a thread deletes the whole thread, something I did when I was new.

I read AJ's summery of it here , and I guess it got a bit rough, and he accidentally erased the whole thread trying to fix it.

I remember when I did that the first time... [Blushing]

MrB, it's all good, and I am glad you are still around.

Speaking of Canada, what the #@!$# is up with that stupid bridge from Canada to the US through Buffalo? 3 Lanes? Whith the middle one going both ways? What idiot thought THAT up? I was stuck there for 5 hours this summer, because some idiot closed the 405 exit off the QEW....so I couldn't go that way as I usually do.

Let me guess...he was American, right? [Evil]

Kwea

[ August 19, 2004, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
TMedina: you may have a point there...it's easier for Europeans to travel and know other cultures than, say, an American, a Chinese, a Brazilian, an Australian or a Russian. The reason? Sheer country size.
And just consider my position. I live in Alaska, so I can't even bebop on over to another state for the afternoon like most other Americans can. Travel out of Alaska requires a real investment in time and money, the latter of which I have a chronic dearth of. I do love to travel, mind you. I've been to Europe and Japan and loved every moment. Actually, I've been to more European countries than I have American states. (Well, unless you want to count airport layovers. That would make the numbers equal. Technically I've been to Michigan and Minnesota, but I never got to step outside the airports there.)
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
mister boy, please stay around. We always need more newbies who are thoughtful and passionate about their ideas. I'm delighted you're here. I didn't even see the thread but whatever it was, I'm sure it can't begin to compare with some of the over-the-top hatrack drama we've seen in the past.

Y'all remember the time an anonymous young male poster made a dramatic exit because he was in love with the married Ralphie and knew they could not both continue to post here and without succumbing to the brief mad passionate affair he could see on the horizon? That was so great! It later turned out to be a conspiracy between Ralphie, T Smith, and others to pull our collective chain. [ROFL]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
It would have been much later if T hadn't pussied out and deleted the thread only a few hours after posting it. That said, it was a brilliant piece of writing.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
meow! *hugs and stuff*
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.