FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Eight Hundred Year War AKA Irish Independence

Author Topic: The Eight Hundred Year War AKA Irish Independence
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

- posted      Profile for Khal Drogo   Email Khal Drogo         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, this is a very touchy subject with some Irish or English personages, so if you are particularly emotionaly attached to this, please, try and keep it civil.

All right, so for the last eight hundred years, the Irish populace has been fighting an english invasion and control of their nation. Without much success, though theywere the ony nation to successfully beat the tar out of the Romans, and also kicked the tar out of the Vikings at the battle of Clontarf bay, under the ledership of Brian Boru, the first High King to unite Ireland in many many years. And then came the English under Strongbow, and english mercenary.

Since then their have been many revolutions, mostly unsucessful, until 1918 when Micheal Collins form a group of fighters who used guerilla urban warfare to strike the English with devastating effect, he then formed the peace pact which gives Engand contol of the Ulster province. He was the assasinated. Ever since the irish have fought on, some as terorists, and some as soldiers, striking only soldiers.

The question is, why haven't the English gotten the point, loss is inevitable. Is it pride? Arrogance? What? And what are your opinions on the situation?

Khal

Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed 2: Cruise Control
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All right, this is a very touchy subject with some Irish or English personages, so if you are particularly emotionaly attached to this, please, try and keep it civil.
Okay, but you know what that means... if we get into a verbal conflict it's going to be a civil war. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

- posted      Profile for Khal Drogo   Email Khal Drogo         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] Nice Speed, nice. [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Presumably Ireland is enough of an economic positive for England to offset the cost of the war.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

They'v already sucked it dry, now all the get is blocks of C4 in London and Belfast.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that last bit isn't really true, is it Drogo? I mean, hasn't Ireland's IT sector really done phenomenally well in recent years?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My good friend Bono had something to say concerning this:

quote:
And let me tell you something. I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in 20 or 30 years come up to me and talk about the "Resistance," the Revolution back home. And the Glory of the Revolution. And the Glory of dying for the Revolution. F*** the Revolution! They don't talk about the glory of killing for the Revolution. What's the glory of taking a man from his bed and gunning him down in front of his wife and his children? Where's the glory in that? Where's the glory in bombing a Rememberance Day parade of old-age pensioners, their medals taken out and polished up for the day. Where's the glory in that? To leave them dying, or crippled for life, or dead under the rubble of the Revolution, that the majority of the people in my country don't want.

No more! No more! No more!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay -- I'm not up on this, and you're going to have to enlighten me a whole lot more, KD.

quote:
Ever since the irish have fought on, some as terorists, and some as soldiers, striking only soldiers.
Is this the IRA? I thought the wars in Ireland were between Catholic/Protestant factions, not between Ireland and England.

So please tell more.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Brief intro - England has occupied Ireland for about 800 years. England gave Irish land to Englishmen, who ultimately became the bulk of the Protestants in Ireland.

Irelnd is an independent country now, but the island is split into two parts, one of which still belongs to England. This was the result of gerrymandering during the vote on which parts would become independent. The more recent terrorism has been about the "9 counties" still under British rule. These counties have a Protestant majority. The Catholic minority and the Protestant majority have had many violent clashes.

But the IRA's target has always been England's rule of the 9 counties.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Aaaah! The Google ads on this page take you to the Sinn Féin t-shirt shop!

[Eek!]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"The question is, why haven't the English gotten the point, loss is inevitable."

Perhaps they disagree?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed 2: Cruise Control
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
My good friend Bono had something to say concerning this:

quote:
Am I boogin' ya? Am I boogin' ya? Well I didn't mean... ta boog ya.

Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, that's it! The English are financing their occupation with google ads!

Hackers unite on those targets....England is ours!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
why haven't the English gotten the point, loss is inevitable.
Well, since I haven't been convinced that it's inevitable, I'm not surprised that they haven't, either. [Dont Know]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

*laughs at Speed*

*goes to watch Rattle and Hum again*

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
In fairness to the English, Irish raiders did a considerable amount of damage before, say, the Norman Conquest. Getting your own back is an ancient and honourable tradition. And incidentally, Clontarf Bay was a fluke; the Vikings kicked Irish ass for centuries before that.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.