FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Plasiticized Corpse Exhibit

Author Topic: Plasiticized Corpse Exhibit
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
A buddy of mine just viewed this exhibit in California. I didn't think to get where exactly but I did get enough info to google this site. He was fascinated and highly recommended it. There was one exhibit that featured exclusively the vascular system (intact).

My friend said the exhibit is promoted as being a blend of science and art.

I would be interested in hearing how everyone else feels about this considering there is some opposition.

Edit to add another link

[ August 22, 2004, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow, this is really incredible. My friend went to the exhibition in Berlin and I saw her photos. If it's coming to the U.S., I'm there.

I know it looks morbid, but soem of it's pretty cool. There's a rabbit--well, actually, only its veins. Good stuff.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
COOL.

I read about this type of preservation in the book Stiff.

I think that's what I want when I die.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather be a skeleton. But this does sound really cool. I can't decide whether it bothers me to call it art. Right now I much prefer to only think of the educational aspects of the exhibits.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
How awesome! If it is in California, I would want to go!
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The Science Museum in St. Paul has two slices made by this guy. They have them sequestered in a part of the human body exhibit area and you are warned at least twice by signs before you go into the space where the slices are.

It is fascinating to see. They give you a magnifying glass so you can get a close up view of structures you're interested in.

It's very educational, I think. The nerves and muscles are fascinating in this "prepartion."

Loved it!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If it were only being done for scientific/educational purposes, I'd still be a tad squicked. I believe human bodies deserve some degree of respect, and a proper burial. But if it really were being done for science/education, my objections would be slight, if any.

However, while the current exhibit focuses more on those aspects (because of pushes from individuals and groups who were consulted beforehand), the original exhibits in Europe were presented as art. And that I find abhorrent.

Additionally, the "professor" has only an honorary degree, and has lied about his professional background. I don't think I kept the link to the article that dealt with his real credentials a couple months back.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, after I read that book and learning about how corpses decompose and such...plastination seems like the best option.

Stiff is highly recommended reading.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*twinkle* But I don't have any problem with decomposing.

Jewish law actually requires burial practices that promote rapid decomposition. In Israel, bodies are buried in just a shroud. Elsewhere, that is not allowed, so we use a plain wooden box. I believe average time of decomposition is something on the order of one-tenth that of other burial methods.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I've come to fear that devious twinkle...
rivka
Member # 4859

[Big Grin]
mackillian
Member # 586

get on aim, pleaaaaaase.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
ick
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Bah. There's already plenty of plastination in California.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just as soon they let my body decompose, once they've harvested all the useful organs from it. I really don't care at all about what's done with my body after I'm finished with it, but it seems like it would make some good fertilizer.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.