FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lambuel loves you (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Lambuel loves you
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Thought about it, and I don't think it's hate filled, but I think it might be more destructive to Christians because it's not up front about being satire, edit: and its satire is very subtle. The whole point about people honestly believing it is a Christian site, as I guess was your point, is well taken now that I think about it.

I still think it's clever, though. If they would only make it a little more clear that it's parody, I think Christians would be a lot more comfortable with it.

I guess the question has to be asked, though, if it would then still be clever? If part (all?) of the funny of the site isn't the 'gotcha' factor, and whether the site would be ruined if they were up front about it? Hrmmm.

[ August 25, 2004, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

That whistlestopper forum looks really interesting, by the way.... [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At some point, we have to kind of tone down the 'hate' rhetoric or hate really loses its meaning, I think. I think there has to be room for groups to poke fun at each other. For whites to poke fun of blacks, blacks to poke fun of whites, Christians-heathens, etc. However, I agree that it shouldn't go 'too far'.
that made me think of this link:

www.blackpeopleloveus.com

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Perfect example, SM. Funny stuff. [Smile] Like the lambuel site, it isn't up front about being a parody. It makes fun of an attitude that is present in white society. You either get it or you don't. That's part of what makes it funny, I think.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"I guess the question has to be asked, though, if it would then still be clever? If part (all?) of the funny of the site isn't the 'gotcha' factor, and whether the site would be ruined if they were up front about it? Hrmmm."

I have been thinking about this as well. It almost seems like a "Christian trap." I remember when the creationist science fair link came through the Internet. Some pretty bright people fell for it. Out of context, it looked real.

Icarus, if you are out there, can you explain further why you think it is not a parody?

I am still trying to find a link to the Landover site. It matters to me, for some reason, if only to solve the mystery. I was actually thinking about this whole thing as I fell asleep last night. Weird. My next thing to do is compare the stuff for sale. I think that is my key.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cafepress.com/landoverbaptist/33526

This is where one would buy their "Jesus was a hippy" merchandise.

http://www.cafepress.com/objectivemin/

This is where one would buy their Lambuel t-shirts.

Donlt think that proves anything, but there you have it.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Storm, the quote I was thinking of was this:

quote:
Oh it does represent all of christianity. Same bible, same basic beliefs, only they realize that science and religion cannot coincide and actually make a direct choice and stick with it, that being religion. Most christians just like to allow evolution to drift through their heads, maybe semi-believe it, but when it comes down to the existence of god, they agree, but they never really allow for links between things like evolution to the bible's text, therefore, avoiding the bible.
Which I guess isn't the site's fault, but it's a predictable response to it.

Of course, this statement is exceedingly ignorant about how evolution can be reconciled with Christianity. In fact, it's as ignorant about Christianity as some literal creationists are about science.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.