FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Labor Day hatrack picnic in Gainesville (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Labor Day hatrack picnic in Gainesville
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmm veggies!

Additions to menu:

Corn on the cob rolled in butter, wrapped in foil, and cooked on the grill.

S'mores!!!!! (Marshmallows cooked over the fire then put between Hershey bars and graham crackers to melt the chocolate.)

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

That isn't looking very good at this point. I mean I don't think it could be any closer to exact time and place of the picnic. WHO INVITED FRANCES??????

Final decision will be Friday early afternoon. If we can't have it in Gainesville it will be in Birmingham instead. Red Stickers take note! [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
grrr...that storm better go the other way
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Angst] [Frown] [Cry] [Frown]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Silly weather, can't it see we are busy?
Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
We can play in the rain [Smile]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Our participation at this point is kind of on hold pending what Frances does. It's not looking good, though, because we are unlikely to know for sure until it's too late.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT06/refresh/AL0604W5+GIF/310253W5.gif

It moved! We're still in the area, but it's not directly aiming for us. Hopefull it stays that way.

Nothign against the bahamas people, but we've got a picnic to host!

[ August 31, 2004, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Icarus, I have the perfect solution! House party at ak's in Birmingham all weekend long! Starting Thursday night, (or sooner, if needs be) the Last Hatrack Homely House (four bedrooms) welcomes you, Cor, Banana, Mango, and if you don't mind, could you just stop by Gainesville on your way up and pick up those two of my fiances and bring them along with you? [Smile] That way everyone would be out of harm's way and Frances can't spoil our fun!
Icarus
Member # 3162

What about our evil doggies? :-p

[ August 31, 2004, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

ak
Member # 90

Oh my gosh! Those look ferocious! If they can stay inside your bedroom with door shut when not taking walks outside, they will also be quite welcome! [Smile] It's okay for them to be outside on leash or lead too, for a some times during the day. Sorry I don't have a fenced in area for them.

[ August 31, 2004, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
On a related note, Frances is heading for my mother's house and isn't expected to turn at this point. She will be evacuating, because she lives near the water and is expecting 25-foot surges to hit her mobile home.

[Frown]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Oh no! Sveta! It's too late for her to leave? That's terrifying! <prays for Sveta's mom> She's welcome to come here if there's time. She needs to get out of there.
ak
Member # 90

As of now, it looks like Frances is determined to make it to the party.

Two more days until final decision. Party aside, I really don't like the fact that she's aimed straight for about half my family, down there, either. Saudade, Andrei, Rahul, Jorge, and everyone else in the area, are you SURE you don't want to just leave right now and come on up? Remember that once you realize you really wish you had, it's always way too late. Plenty of room here. Would be really fun enjoying all your company instead of biting my nails to the elbows worrying about you during the inevitable power outage phone outage time when you're out of touch.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
This looks terrible. Already a high Cat 4 and plenty more water between it and landfall.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Frances just loves us, I guess. She loves our whole family and wants to commune with us. After she leaves Tallahasse they think she's coming here to the Birmingham vicinity. <laughs> Grisha, are you sure you're not summoning her?
Icarus
Member # 3162

The maps I'm looking at show it headed straight for us.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT06/refresh/AL0604W5+GIF/011503W5.gif

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm6/index_large.html?from=home

[Cry]

Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't think this one is my work.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Okay, cause like, we needed rain and all, remember? And I asked you if you could do something about that? And of course we know you're one of those protoJasonWorthing types so maybe if you could just project your wishes off into the mid-atlantic somewhere Frances would perhaps be drawn out there instead?
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Where? I don't Frances to hit anyone, and hurt them. Besides even if you could conlude i am some how directing the storm, I am doing it completely unconsciously, so how can i possibly control where is it sent with my conscious mind? [Dont Know]
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Have it hit someone who has insurance. [Frown]
ak
Member # 90

EAST out into the mid-Atlantic. I don't think anyone lives out there.
ak
Member # 90

Now it's showing that it will still be a hurricane when it reaches Gainesville. I really think my plan where you kidnap Jaime and all come up here was a sound one. You may can even talk him into it with no alcohol or duct tape required. What are UF and FSU and FAMU saying to do?
ak
Member # 90

UF cancelled all classes on Friday. You guys should come on up right now. Hurricanes trump classes. [Smile]

FRANCES REMAINS A DANGEROUS CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON THE
SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE SCALE WITH MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR
145 MPH...230 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN
INTENSITY ARE EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 80 MILES...130 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 185 MILES...295 KM. SAN SALVADOR IN THE BAHAMAS IS CURRENTLY
REPORTING 63 MPH...102 KM/HR.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 939 MB...27.73 INCHES.

STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 6 TO 14 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS...
ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES...CAN BE EXPECTED

Lupus
Member # 6516

grr...bad storm. It canceled the football game as well. Going up north would not be easy, since the traffic will be bad due to all of the forced evacuations. Trying to use the interstates when it is not completly necissary might not be a great idea. Besides...the hurricane is likely to bring rain to most of the southeast anyway.

It might be easier to try and reschedule for another weekend...than to move it and have it rain anyway. I was actually really looking forward to a hatrack day at lake walberg.

Are there other weekends that would work well for people?

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I'm not in a position to plan at this moment . . .
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Icarus & Family))) (((Florida)))

[Angst]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Yeah, I don't see much chance of the party happening now. And it's getting late for evacuation too. If people had evacuated yesterday when I first suggested it, they would be here having fun by now, just saying. [Razz] [Smile]
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Where is everyone? No one is showing up =/
Lupus
Member # 6516

chilling at home, rather glad that I did not have to go in to school today. [Smile]
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Why do people complain about how much the predictions of weather change over time? It's not like you can actually tell precisely where a hurricane will hit and land days before it comes in contact. The weather people do the best with what they have.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

More importantly, why continue to live in Florida?

Even more importantly, why am I still in Tucson?

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Florida is where the players play. Where the rollers roll. Here the surfers surf. The runners run. The voters try to vote.
from Cythera
Member # 6749

- posted      Profile for from Cythera   Email from Cythera         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] as a registered Broward County voter, I find that offensive, hahahaha.

I was so excited for this weekend. Everyone be safe while we ride out this hurricane season.

Posts: 117 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

The party's been relocated here to Birmingham! We're having a great time! Where are you guys????? We really really wish you were here! <wistful smilie>
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.