FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Funny customer service stories, please

Author Topic: Funny customer service stories, please
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Rather than derail another topic, I thought I would tell this story here:

I was an overnight cashier at a Wal-Mart in Iowa. You can't sell alcohol from 2-6 a.m. Mon-Sat. I think it might be 2 a.m. to noon on Sunday, but I'm not sure. The cash registers keep track of the time and don't let you sell during the prohibited time.

Two men came in and brought some beer to my register. The first guy said, "I'm too drunk to write the check, so my buddy will write it and I'll sign it."

I refused to sell him the beer. I called my CSM over and he backed me up. I'm not sure if Iowa has laws punishing people who sell alcohol to people who are already drunk, but I wasn't taking any chances.

After my CSM walked away, the second guy said, "Listen, my buddy owes me the amount of money the beer costs, so I'll write the check and he'll sign it." I still refused to sell to them.

They left in a huff - and I wished them luck finding a place in the next 10 minutes before the deadline.

I also once refused to sell alcohol to a guy who was so impaired he spilled a pocketful of change all over the counter and couldn't count it - he was nearly falling-down drunk.

I'm just a mean one, huh?

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm just a mean one, huh?
No, you're honorable.

CaySedai - doing her part to clean up her corner of the world..... [Big Grin]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was working fast food (most of my funny work stories start that way, don't they?) I had a guy come through the drive through as soon as the place opened, stinking drunk. He actually passed out after her ordered, and before he could pull around to the drive through window.

It wasn't uncommon for people to come through the drive through either smashed or holding an open container of something that would soon leave them smashed. We'd just call the cops and let them take care of it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
A few of my favorites...

When I worked at a grocery store, a guy tried to return a carton of milk. Two weeks old. Fully 80% used. (I have a whole lot like this)

I worked at Service Merchandise when I first moved up here, in the electronics department. Had a guy buy a cordless phone on sale, $149 ($30 off). He brought it back next week and demanded FULL PRICE back. I mean, it wasn't a rebate or anything - he actually paid $149, and didn't understand why he wouldn't get more back.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, your company was the one who said the phone was worth $179 [Big Grin]
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL. I ought to try that at CompUSA, that would confuse the heck out of 'em.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Really, if you think about it, he got the rebate...but he didn't offer YOU one.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh please don't Tick -- I used to work at CompUSA -- they are already confused enough.....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
heh heh... I worked at Starbucks for a year (I'm ashamed of it but the pay was better than minimum) and THREE TIMES this happened...
Some woman ordered nothing except a newspaper through drive thrue. So i told her it was 50 cents. she gets halfway to the window and realizes she forgot to order coffee. So she hits reverse and slams on the gas, roaring up to the box and SMASHING in to the person behind her... heh heh... our drive through line was closed for like... three hours.
the second time it was an eighty year old geezerly sort and she just forgot to hit her brakes... and the third time, the guy was so wasted that he forgot to make the turn at the end and went driving into our dumpster.
Man, I miss making fun of people in the drive thru.

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
You just wait. My husband's big plan is to bring over a right-hand drive, legalize it, and take it to McDonald's so he can drive backwards through the drivethru.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
He could just buy a used Mail Jeep.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one that happened today.

I work at a grocery store bringing carts back in from the parking lot. (Yes, I am too old to be doing that, as it is essentially a teenager's job. I'm doing it for complicated reasons that would take too long to explain, and the arrangement is only temporary . . . I hope.)

Anyway, as I was heading out into the lot today to look for carts, one of my coworkers pointed out a customer riding one of our motorized carts out to the very edge of the lot. We followed him over to take it back inside.

My colleague said something to the effect of, "Excuse me sir, but those carts aren't allowed to leave the store."

The man protested that he needed to put his groceries in his truck.

There were no trucks at the place he had stopped. Just a freight trailer. There were also no groceries in the cart.

My colleague pointed out to the man that there were no trucks there, and the man gestured toward the trailer and said it was his truck, and he needed to put his groceries in it.

Then the man said we weren't getting paid enough, and he offered us a job.

In Nazi Germany.

Turns out he's Adolf Hitler. Or at least, he thinks he is.

I guess that's not really a funny story after all, is it? More sad than anything else. Still, it was strange, anyway.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
One didn't just fly over the coocoo's (sp?) nest...he was on a looper that threw him miles from it.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.