FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stargate SG-1

Author Topic: Stargate SG-1
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

- posted      Profile for Khal Drogo   Email Khal Drogo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm sure their have been other threads here about this show. But I feel the need to rant.

Ok so the movie wasn't all that great. It was a good idea, new, loved the bad guys, the fact the Ghimon Honsou (SP) played a Jaffa is funny as as I'll get out. But over all, it wasn't one of the best sci-fi films, no where near Aliens of T2. But anyway. A few years later, two men both try and get the rights to Stargate for TV, one for a TV Movie, the other for a show, so the studio gives them both the rights and tells them to work together.

A few months later, out comes the best series pilot I have ever seen. The creation of the whole Ghoa'uld way of life and hierarchy, jaffa, the endless possibilties of worlds to visit. And they make it more than a shoot em up, they give the characters a reaosn to do what their doing. Daniel for his wife, Jack for Skaara, Teal'c for freedom for his race, Carter because they need to be PC and have a woman.

The show is so much more than some shoot em up sci-fi show not worth the advertising money (Andromeda).

Now that I'm done ranting about the chocalty goodness of SG-1, I must enter into the angry part of the rant.

The Three Evils of Stargate in Order From Most Evil to Least.

1. Stargate Atlantis. They tried too much to copy the exact formula or SG-1. Ok, Atlantis, the Wraith, all very cool. But they made the characters exactly the same, only dumber. Teyla is a pathetic Teal'c ripoff. The tried to copy O'neil (Anderson) and failedmiserably, no one can be the smartass O'neil is. The tried to copy Carter and Daniel, and failed, I would watch it if they only had been new, fresh, but instead they try and ripoff one of the greatest Sci-fi series ever.

2. Mind Possesion, Control, Swapping. happens way too much.

3. O'Neill the general. I don;t get to see jack kick the crap out of Jaffa, Noooooooooooooo! He must be demoted, soon!

*Rant Ends*

Query: The episode from season 8 where Teal'c is trapped in a training simulation, does anyone else think that was a promo for an upcoming Stargate game?

Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
It's Djimon Hounsou. And yes, I figured they'd be coming out with a game soon. It's seems like a lot of money to spend just to use it one episode.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
actually stargate already has a video game, although it's for the snes. There are 2 games in the works though, i think.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I see.

People who like stargate seem to be incapable of likeing Farscape, and vice versa.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People who like stargate seem to be incapable of likeing Farscape, and vice versa.
Not true! I like both (well, all three - I do like Atlantis). I don't watch Farscape much because it's on at midnight Sunday nights, I think. Also, I have a hard time keeping track of what's going on. But, it's an awesome show and I wish I had it on DVD.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I too like both Stargate and Farscape. However, my taste is generally acknowledged to be weird to nonexistent.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I like all three - Stargate: SG-1, Farscape (even though it got weird in the last couple of seasons) and Stargate: Atlantis.

The science geeks aren't copies of Jackson - at least not yet.

I'm still wondering why they didn't bring captured Goa'uld energy weapons because at the rate they expend ammo, they're going to be high and dry in short order. They could _not_ have brought enough ammo to last.

And the Atlantis Project is designed around the success of the SG Project, which means that the superficial formula would be copied - military/science/native trinity in first contact, C&C back at base, etc.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

- posted      Profile for Khal Drogo   Email Khal Drogo         Edit/Delete Post 
True, a staff weapon could come in really handy when kicking the crap out of a wraith, anyone know if one of those games coming out is for PC?
Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

I'm guessing the ammo thing was overlooked. However, it is possible that the writers really did think it through and the team was expecting to find Ancient weapons to use. (Maybe they will! That would be nice.)
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

True, I figure an ancient close combat weapon would make Jack's replicator killer look like a fancy magnet. Imagine if it shot out mini drones, *giggles at the thought of wraiths being hit by drones the size of golfballs*

[ August 31, 2004, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Khal Drogo ]

Mabus
Member # 6320

"What? The last war we fought was with sentient software beings. All our weapons are fancy magnets."
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

Oh just think of glowing golfballs and giggle.
MEC
Member # 2968

There are a few things that I don't understand about atlantis:

1) Shouldn't the gateships be powered by zpms?

2) How did they drain the remaining zpms on atlantis by turning on a few lights that a few naquida generators can seem to power on their own?

3) Why the hell didn't they propose to the people in the land where no one lives past 25 to take them back to the island on atlantis, and keep the zpm for themselves?

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

1. Actually, no. ZPMs are the equivelent of our nuclear reactors - way, way too powerful for something as casual as a glorified shuttle.

2. The ZPM for Atlantis was also powering the shield for a thousand years. A shield strong enough to hold back the ocean pressure. Which means the shield battery, the ZPM had a limited life expectancy - entering Atlantis and powering up the lights and computer system put an added drain on what was a minimal energy expenditure. This accelerated the drain on the ZPM.

The man-portable Naqueda generators are enough to support the lights and computers, but are not powerful enough to charge the shield.

3. They'd considered that, but the ZPM from the "nobody lives past 25" land was already close to being depleted and not entirely capable of interfacing with their system, if I remember the story. And it wouldn't have powered the shield of Atlantis for more than a few minutes whereas it would provide power to the "nlp25" shield for at least a generation or so.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

1) If they were to use a zpm for a glorified emp, then I think they would definatly use one for a shuttle capable of firing energy blasts, cloaking, and createing enormous acceleration (or deceleration) almoast instantly, among other things.

2) I understand that, but if they could hook up the naquida generators to power the lights, computers, ect., why then did they not hook up them before the zpm's ran out of energy. Also, I fail to understand how a few lights would drain an equal amount of power that would allow the shield to be powered for years.

3) Yes I remember thet, however I think a few seconds worth of the shield is worth more than a few generations of the emp when they could just take the kids back to the island on atlantis.

[ September 01, 2004, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: MEC ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

1. Are you asking if they use a ZPM on the shuttle or should they use a ZPM on the shuttle?

2. The ZPM was still under constant drain to maintain the shield. Assuming they had X years left on the shield, the added drain of the computer core and the life support system required to maintain the habitat comes up to more than just a few lights.

You say the computers and lights should not have been a significantly increased drain on the ZPM - well, maybe. Or there was unknown requirement that had to be powered before the lights.

We can argue the hypotheticals or just accept it was a requisite plot device for the show.

3. This is what happens when you put civilians with moral sensibilities in charge of a military operation.

Dr. Weir disagreed and in the grand scheme of things, a few seconds of shield wouldn't matter against the swarms of firepower the Wraith would bring to bear against Atlantis.

-Trevor

MEC
Member # 2968

1) I'm saying the ancients would have most likely used a zpm as a power source for the gateships.

2) Fine, whatever.

3) I was thinking that even a few seconds of shields for one thing would allow them to intiate the self destruct on atlantis without interruption in case they were attacked. Also I doubt the shield is the only thing that needs a zpm on atlantis.

TMedina
Member # 6649

1. I bow to your superior knowledge of Ancient technology.

3. It's the only thing we know of on Atlantis (to date) that requires a ZPM. However, the civilian doctor disagrees with your tactical assessment.

-Trevor

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
About Stargate recently, they've hardly used the gate at all. Nobody's talking about those Super Soldiers anymore. All the action has been Earth-side. I just wish they'd get it over with and make the Stargate program known. After all, this is the last season, it's a great time to see what would happen if the world knew about it! I want to see something EPIC ALL the time for the last season. *sigh* I still love the show.

As for Atlantis, I think it is great. I noticed the similarity between the teams, and I liked the symmetry. HOWEVER, the characters are different. You (Khal Drogo) seem to be criticizing them for trying to imitate SG-1 and in the next breath criticizing them for failing to be like SG-1. The differences are what's important and what makes it interesting. Yes, Dr. McCoy is a doctor, but anybody who thinks his personality is ANYTHING like Dr. Jackson's needs their head examined. Just because you can make comparisons to SG-1 doesn't mean a thing. So they used the same formula--they still got totally different results.

Instead of begrudging Atlantis, I would think Stargate fans would be overjoyed that the Stargate idea is continuing on! You didn't think the actors on Stargate would want to continue forever, did you? Atlantis has had a great start and it's only getting better.

As for a Stargate game, I hope so! My husband found a link somewhere indicating that the Air Force was working with the game makers to make it realistic. I think it was the same article that said that the Air Force has worked with Stargate from the beginning. That's VERY cool.

A game has so much potential to be awesome--but they could SOOO easily make it suck.

I agree with you on the mind control/possession/swapping thing.

As for O'Neill the general... I think it's interesting. I miss Hammond, though. I wonder if he just needed a break. (the actor, I mean.)

And I've got nothing against Farscape. I've never watched it, but we'll probably check it out eventually.

-Katarain

[ September 01, 2004, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Katarain ]

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Actually, Hammond has been promoted, I'm told.

He's now commander of the Earth space fleet being built.

-Trevor

Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

Um, I think the title is "Supreme Commander of all Space Related mIlitary Operations and Earth's Defense"
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I know Hammond got promoted.

I was wondering if the actor wanted more time off, so that's why they promoted him and made Jack the general. It was an odd move.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

It depends on whether or not they're trying to create another spin-off series.

I haven't heard anything, but that's not a solid indicator one way or the other.

I'm going to guess they did some trimming from the Stargate-SG1 budget in order to float Stargate: Atlantis.

Which explains Hammond's promotion and the Doc's untimely demise.

-Trevor

Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

Perhaps, but I don't think the doc's demise was connected, she got married didn't she?
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Stargate! Yay!~
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

Most of the changes in sg-1 are because last season was supposed to be the last season, but they added this season. There's even preasure to add a 9th season.
MEC
Member # 2968

oh, and you can find alot of stargate information here.
TMedina
Member # 6649

I dunno Khal - I don't follow the SG gossip.

-Trevor

Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Well the producers aid from the beginning they were shooting for 10 seasons. It's in the season one disc two I believe special features.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.