FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Aaaaahh, (the sound of addiction satiated)

Author Topic: Aaaaahh, (the sound of addiction satiated)
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read posts from other hatrackers bemoaning their addiction to Hatrack. Until yesterday morning I had no inkling how insidious this craving could be. I woke up to no internet. This was actually worse than not having my morning coffee.

I spent the morning with SBC tech support and the conclusion was that my modem was toast. I was told that my warranty had expired and I was responsible for purchasing a replacement. I called the SBC store and was informed that a new dsl modem was $100.00 plus shipping. If I was willing to wait 7-10 days shipping was reasonable. Two day shipping was over 10 bucks and next day was even more.

I enquired as to whether or not I could use any modem or if I had to use their high-priced modem. The answer indicated that I needed a Siemans 5100. A subsequent call revealed that the Siemans 5100 matched up with the SBC Yahoo browser and that any dsl modem would suffice I just wouldn't have the extra software capability that comes with the SBC browser. Okay, good news. I can just bop out to Walmart and pick up a modem after work.

After work I sped to Walmart and was seriously annoyed to discover that Walmart carries cable modems but no dsl modems. The irony here is that we don't yet have cable internet access. Nice market research Walmart. Subsequent visits to other retailers in town yeilded similar disappointment. I was beginning to get discouraged and despondent.

Finally I called Best Buy in Lawrence and they had the Siemans 5100 for $75.00 Yayyyyy! I called my most wonderful father and he was more than happy to pick up the modem for me today.

So I'm baaaack and grooving cause I'm gettin my hatrack fix.

[ August 25, 2004, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]

Yay! Welcome back!
(did you get my e-mail?)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am totally addicted, Punwit, and am soon going into detox. One last binge, then I am going into the lurker larva.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Elizabeth, say it isn't so. Is there some reason for your withdrawl? I'll seriously miss your contributions if you lurkify. Are you saying you would be able to NOT post on a pun thread? You are much more disciplined than I am if you can do that.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Farmgirl, Yes I did and thanks for all your help. You're a peach. I was just going to wait for ESPN to open Pigskin Pick'em.

[ August 25, 2004, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I'm happy for you. I dodn't know what I would do w/out internet. Lets see...hang myself? Shoot my head? bang it to death? I probably just be killed by my boredom and die lamenting how sad my life would be with out hatrack...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! You got lied to (or the tech support idiots just didn't know better) both times. The Speedstream 5100 is not required, nor is the 5100 required for certain capabilities.

There are certain settings inside the modem that need to be set a certain way to work with SBC's DSL signal. These settings can be configured in almost any DSL modem, but often only with a bit of effort and equipment.

Luckily, since SBC is one of the largest providers of DSL, and the only one in many areas (even if other people say they provide it, they're just using SBC's lines), DSL modems available in said areas are preset to their settings.

<-- former DSL tech support self install agent.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
bastards!! I hate tech support.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
But you didn't hate it when Fugu was on tech support, did you, Alt? Or any of us who currently work in tech support?? [Wink]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Punwit,

I could never abandon the pun thread. It is like therapy, truly. I laugh all day long thinking about them. What an upper!

I can also not abandon the lyrics game, and my relentless proseletyzing of Donna the Buffalo. (They come to Florida a lot, Icarus)

I plan to skim through and keep up to date. I want to continue meeting people.

Nothing bad, just a new teaching position. I need to focus.

Liz

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I always figure if I were stuck on a desert island I'd be OK as long as I had a big box of pens and a big stack of blank paper. I could get along without the Internet.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Not me. Not anymore.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I went almost two weeks on vacation without access to the Internet. Didn't miss it a bit. In fact, I didn't get on the computer for about a week after we got home. And another few days after that before I posted here again. I really did almost stop posting here for good. Bouts with that have been coming more and more frequently.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.