FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Amending the Constitution (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Amending the Constitution
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If the majority of Americans think of this as a Christian nation, then it is a Christian nation. Not because the government says it is, but because the population says it is.
Out of curiosity, if the US is a Christian nation, does that mean that non-Christians are less American or not American at all? (This is not meant to be trollish, I really want to know.)
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, I think some Christians look at it that way. [Frown]

That is, if I am to believe that humans wrote some of the emails I see being forwarded.

Isn't that at least in part why "under God" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance? To distinguish the Christian Americans from the Atheist Communists?

[ August 26, 2004, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
What I think it all comes down to, is that religion and beleifs have a very strong influence on the way people make decsicions. I think that in the case of someone who is running a country, this can be a good or a bad thing (depending on the government). In the U.S. it is pretty much impossible to avoid this because most people have a religion that influences them. Our government today happens to have many christian participants. It is taking these religiosly influenced descicions to an extreme that we have to look out for. I havent decided for myslef if I think denying gay couples their marriage licenses is crossing the line. There are some points they make that don't seem to be religious issues.

[ August 26, 2004, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They are simple beliefs of what is right or wrong.
i have to take issue with this statement, not so much in that it is untrue (obviously, morality is a set of beliefs about what is right and wrong) but about the possibility of believing in right and wrong absent some sort of theistic belief/value system. the concepts of right and wrong require some type of authority higher than onesself, some legitimacy outside of the individual. to say that something is intrinsically and morally right is to say that it is right for everyone because "right" is dictated by something (the natural order, god, goddesses, whatever). of course, there's the "right for me" argument, which essentially breaks down into enlightened self interest which i would not call a moral system as much as a method of living in harmony with whatever one defines as their environment.

i should mention that i'm agnostic, so if this bothers some of the athiests/agnostics here at least know that i'm not trying to belittle your moral system... [Wink]

Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I am impressed that an agnostic can admit this. Kerinin, you have impressed me today.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
It's been my experience that most non-theists either appeal to some sort of logic (e.g. utilitarianism) for the source of their moral systems or hold relativist moral codes. Or both, I suppose.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"he concepts of right and wrong require some type of authority higher than onesself, some legitimacy outside of the individual. to say that something is intrinsically and morally right is to say that it is right for everyone because "right" is dictated by something"

Depends on how you mean "dictated" by "something."

For example, I think right and wrong are based upon maximizing the ability of people to live together without serious conflict. If thats "dictated by something" then I agree with you. If not... then I disagree.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

quote:
I think right and wrong are based upon maximizing the ability of people to live together without serious conflict
i would argue that utilitarianism really isn't a moral system, in that it doesn't label things as right and wrong so much as it labels them beneficial and detrimental (to the stated goal of profiting the species as a whole). in the end this will inevitably degenerate into an argument about semantics and to what degree concepts of right and wrong are granted transcendency.
Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

(i would call it an ethical system)
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.