FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I don't think I can deal with parachute pants again (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I don't think I can deal with parachute pants again
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Tick, they did not:

http://www.ratemymullet.com/show.php?id=74

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I still pegged my jeans well into the late 90s. I just stopped wearing jeans and since I married, have given up on fashion.

I not only had parachute pants, but even the matching parachute jacket by this new clothing company, Bugle Boy. Those were the days. I also cling possessively to 2 Michael Jackson jackets: one from Thriller and one from Beat It.

Rock on.

[ August 30, 2004, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You just go with your bad parachute pant-wearing self, Alucard.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

It is time for my some paracute pant exhibition. Fancy any of these, Alucard?

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/parachutepants/blacbugboypa4.html

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/parachutepants/index.html

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/parachutepants/pandorparpan.html

Edit: I remember them as being very flimsy. These look pretty thick.

[ August 30, 2004, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, those are snow pants.

*swishes away*

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, that's not what I envisioned as parachute pants. I thought that we were talking about M.C. Hammer-style oversized, ripstop nylon pants, which were tight at the ankle. I remember a Hammer video in which he jumped off a tall building or something, and his pants inflated, lowering him gently to the ground. And then there was the cartoon commercial on Nickelodeon for a children's vitamin tablet that that included "vitamin F." The kids would pop the tablets in their mouths, and their Hammer pants would inflate.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

That is what I thought, too. Flimsy things.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, THOSE are parachute pants.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are NOT flattering to anyone with any curves. They aren't terribly flattering to people without curves either, but the travesty is less noticeable.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I remember, parachute pants were baggier and oversize than the ones in the pictures. Hence, the name. Granted, they have the zippers. But they don't have the "puffiness".

Parachute pants also had a military look to them, and, well, got kind of cold since they didn't trap warm air. And if you put things in the zippered pockets on the side (of any bulk) it sort of deflated the "puffiness" of the look and looked goofy- if that is possible.

We were so cool, eh?

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I agree with everyone above me. Parachute pants they AIN'T!
Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Did I mention I hate fashion?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
So what about early 21st century clothing will be hideous 20 years from now?
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Vintage Fashion from the 80s

Scroll down for "MC Hammer and his big honkin' pants."

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Bell bottoms and low rise jeans
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

It's a repeating cycle. In the early 80's, the 50's were rockin' cool. Then in late 80's early 90's the 60's were hip and happnin' again. Late 90's to early 00's, the horrid, ugly, nauseating 70's were back in. Now we've come back around to the 80's again. My question is, are we going to repeat to the 50's next, or go on to the 90's?

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Bev--I think the answer to your question is...yes.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Psst, bev. I had to deal with the 50's resurgence after American Graffiti and Happy Days in the seventies.

But at least that was straight-legged jeans and tee shirts. For the most part, anyway.

Everything gets glommed up together with fashion anymore. My advice: ignore it.

<--Wins no "hip" prizes.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Yeah, I think the 50s love must have started in the 70s. It follows the prescribed pattern, doesn't it? I was too young then to realize or understand.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I remember Bruce in fifth grade, making up a play based on American Graffiti. I was not allowed to see it, and I forget what character he made me. Then there was Happy Days.

But what about Grease? Did that predate American graffiti? I think it did.

cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont care if guys where pink. But when it goes from no one wearing pink, to every guy of every creed (hiphop, emo, prep, you name it) wearing pink all over the mall, well, something has got to be done.

If you encounter my friends and I and you are wearing pink, you may just get a simple, "aww pink, so lovely..." But if you are wearing a tight pink shirt with your collar popped, prepare to be pointed at and loudly laughed at.

another great past-time of ours, is running in to the different trendy shops in the malls, and popping ALL of the collars on ALL of the racks... [Smile] Im 23 now, and still find behavior like this incredibly fun...

Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind 80s resurgence as long as we can avoid the huge shoulderpads and the equally huge hair.
Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Nah, baby, it's ALL comin' back!
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll just become a fashion hermit. [Cry]
Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.