FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hardware drool?

Author Topic: Hardware drool?
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Share the coolest hardware out there. What's the coolest thing you own? Or what do you drool over? Pin-ups of the latest graphics card? Secret purchasing plans for the latest subnotebook that your significant other refuses to let you buy?

Come share the Coolest of the Cool.

I was recently very impressed with this vaio. Official page here.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Dabbler, I want, but do not have, one of those beaming notepads for a teaching tool. I can walk around and take notes and then beam it right on to the computer.

Best dream: all students have them, and we beam each other back and forth, TNG style.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You just want to say, "Snotty beamed me twice last night. It was wonderful!"

I'd love one of these. I don't know what I'd do with it, but it'd be cool: http://science.howstuffworks.com/question553.htm

quote:
Computer-controlled waterjet and abrasivejet cutting are used today in industry to cut many soft and hard materials. The plain water-abrasive mixture leaves the nozzle at more than 900 mph. The latest machines can cut to within two thousandths of an inch, and have jet speeds around Mach 3.

A water jet can cut a "sandwich" of different materials up to four inches thick. This odorless, dust-free and relatively heat-free process can also cut something as thin as five thousandths of an inch. The tiny jet stream permits the first cut to also be the final finished surface. This single cutting process saves material costs and machining costs. For example, the engineer merely gives a gear drawing to the cutting shop via a diskette or e-mail and gets the finished gear back!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, let's see...

There's the robotic exoskeleton, coupled with a head up display painted on my retina by this, and of course an invisibility cloak to go over the whole thing. Oh, and of course, a pair of gloves whose palms are coated in this material.

Oh, and I'd like to have a little fleet of these once they get all the kinks worked out of them, and they don't have to be connected to an external power source by a wire. I figure their data could be fed in through the head up display.

There's more, of course, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, and I'd want a gun capable of firing these, along with thousands of rounds of the ammo.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I could really go for one of these

If they ever get the bugs out of it.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Big Grin]

Yeah Bob, as far as gadgetry goes, those babies are definitely the cream of the crop--and I'm not just saying that to butter you up!

[ August 31, 2004, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Quit trying to margarinalize Bob, Noemon.

It curdles my stomach to think how much gouda he's done for Hatrack, and here you are spoiling his day.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, come on Scott--you know perfectly well that puns are something of a cottage industry around Hatrack. I think you're whey off base here.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are barely skimming the surface. Take a look at the whole picture, not just one or two percent of it. I mean, REALly.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaaaand... the thread is derailed.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You could use that churn as a nice flower pot, but you might roux it.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

On the plus side, Teshi, it's much more active now that it's veered off course. I think we've done cheese based puns fairly recently, though, so while I'm sure we'll milk this for all it's worth, I don't expect it to last for very long. So, there are positives and negatives to the derailment. It's kind of half and half, you might say.

[ August 31, 2004, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously teshi ... don't have a cow.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
*ignores*
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.