FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What Graphics Card?

Author Topic: What Graphics Card?
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
I need to buy a new graphics card for my computer. Now I cannot spend 100's of dollars on a new card. But I need to buy one that is equal to, "Nvidia geforcefx series graphics processing unit(AGP) with 64 mb of vram" If you know anything about graphics cards do any of these cheaper cards on ebay compare to the gforce one I mentioned above?

Ebay Graphics card

specifically I saw the one that was described as

"Brand New Geforce FX 5200 128MB PCI Graphics Card[426]" But I have no clue if this is even somewhat comparable

[ August 31, 2004, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Promethius ]

Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
You specified an AGP card, the one you found on eBay is pci. But you are on the right track. This one should be more inline with those specs.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

excellent, thanks alot. That one is cheaper than the one I had been looking at. Do you know if that is a good price for that type of graphics card?

[ August 31, 2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Promethius ]

Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Pretty decent.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paercival
Member # 1408

- posted      Profile for Paercival   Email Paercival         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.gameve.com/gve/store/productdetails.aspx?sku=VC-CHAIN-039
Posts: 348 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Paercival's is a bit better (more recognizable name, more memory) hence the higher cost. If you have the extra dough, that would be better.
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
The retail price on my Geforce graphics card was $150, but I shopped around until I found one at Circuit City with a $50 rebate. I think it's worth the money if you could get it for 100 bucks or less (well, it would be worth the money even if it was more than that...I just don't *have* that kind of money [Razz] ) Have you tried all your local electronics stores? Sometimes they have great deals, you just have to keep checking.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

Argh, I just opened up my computer and found that I need a PCI card. Good thing I waited to buy the card.

More cards

Are any of these any good?

Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Promethius, I would actually reccommend a medium range Geforce 4 (Ti4200 or Ti4600) over an FX 5200. The 4600 is a really sweet card, is only $30 more brand new than an FX 5200 (according to Pricewatch.com), and will provide a lot more horsepower than the 5200. You won't get DirectX 9 effects, but DX9 on the 5200's aren't much to write home about anyway, speed-wise.

For purposes of comparison:

The FX 5200 is the entry-level budget card in the FX series. It is seperated from the more expensive cards by features and clock speed.

The Ti4600 is the 2nd best card available in the Geforce 4 series, seperated from the top only by clock speed, not features - and the clock speed difference isn't very large. Frequently the 2nd-best part in an Nvidia line up is simply a top of the line part that's been underclocked. A good friend of mine successfully overclocked a Ti4600 to Ti4800 levels without any issues for the year that he owned it (he sold it to me and it worked fine for another 1.5 years and then I sold it). The 4200 is a different part and is still clocked lower, but has all the features and is also a good performer.

Atm, there is only one on Ebay, and doens't look like it's gathering much interest. You could probably pick it up for cheap. Failing that, Pricewatch.com is also a good place to look.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...I think you spelled "Geoffrey" wrong.

*runs and hides* [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.