FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Condemned Houses

Author Topic: Condemned Houses
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Sinkhole in Winter Springs
quote:
A Winter Springs home was condemned Tuesday because of a sinkhole.

At about 11 p.m. Monday, the home started crumbling into the ground, forcing a family to flee their home, WESH NewsChannel 2 reported. Ken Riccard, the homeowner, said his two-story home started popping and creaking as it sunk into the hole.

The family of four was allowed back in the house, on the first floor only, to retrieve some of their belongings. The home on Whitehall Circle continues to slowly sink into the ground. In the kitchen, the cupboards, pantry, and kitchen table are slowly heading to a heap on the floor.

Can the government really stop you from going back into a condemned home if you are the owner? I'm curious if anyone knows how strict they are about enforcing something like this.

I understand the reasons for for doing so. You don't want somebody moving back into a home that is structurally unsound, especially with a family. But if I have something that is very valuable that I want to retrieve and I'm willing to accept the risk, it just doesn't seem right that they should be able to prevent me from doing so?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
But if they go back in and get stuck, it's city-paid rescue workers who'll have to try to get 'em back out, neh?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.