FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bokonon! Guess what?

Author Topic: Bokonon! Guess what?
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read Cat's Cradle, and now I know where your name comes from!

That's pretty much it. *twiddles thumbs and looks at post count hopefully for the fluff effect*

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
hehe, ive seen this post before...
Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I love bokonism. And bokonon.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Bokononism, Stormy. Bokononism. And I love you too, but not as much as the moon...

Now I digress.

Anthro: Glad you checked it out. Did you like it, hate it, convert? [Wink]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

All three, really. I'd just finished Slaughterhouse Five when I got Cat's Cradle. I'm on a Vonnegut spree right now.
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Check out Jailbird next.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Mother Night is better [Smile]

Did you like SH-5 more than CC? SH-5 is certainly the more famous book...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to read Vonnegut... about 20 people have already told me to read CC!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
Ive wanted to get around to reading some of his stuff, but the only thing i ever read was 'dead eye dick'. I remember clearly, I was in the 8th grade (about 10 years ago), and our english teacher had a bunch of paperbacks that you could borrow to read. dead eye dick never made it back to that room... it has a new home on my bookshelf [Smile]
Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Cat's Cradle is probably my favorite of his books. Slaughterhouse Five is quite good, but it doesn't hold a candle to Cat's Cradle. I have to admit, I've started Sirens of Titan quite a few times, but have never been able to get into it. It's been a few years though; maybe I should give it another try.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Sirens is weird; it is rather early, but definitely foreshadows a lot of his late-60s/early-70s work. I just don't think he had a strong idea of the plot, and so it meanders.

I chalk it up to the learning process... His other novel of the 50s, Player Piano, is much more interesting, in part because he understood the mindset, having recently been employed by the types of people he writes about, as well as following a variation on the plot of Brave New World.

But in 62/63, he put out Mother Night and Cat's Cradle, his two best works, in my opinion.

-Bok

Noemon
Member # 1115

Now, see, I *love* God Bless You Mr. Rosewater. Great book. I agree with you that Mother Night is incredible, btw. If people here haven't read it, they're really missing out. Fantastic book.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

What do you think of Dead Eye Dick and Bluebeard, Bok?
Noemon
Member # 1115

You know, though, much as I enjoy Vonnegut's books, I think I like his essays even better. I have all of his essay collections, and have read them a number of times. In fact, I think I may be about due for a reread of them.
Bokonon
Member # 480

GBY,MR is one that's really grown on me... The liittle address to newborns is awesome. Plus the concept of altruism as a disease. [Smile]

I like Bluebeard alot... I haven't read DED *gasp*

The problem I've had is that there is always a metaplot in his novels, which evolves over time, but in some of the novels, once you've read a few of his books, it becomes redundant, so I haven't read all his later books, with some exceptions.

I've read:
TimeQuake
Galapagos
Bluebeard
GBY,MR
Slapstick
Jailbird
SH-5
Breakfast of Champions
Player Piano
Cat's Cradle
Sirens
Mother Night
Player Piano

Plus: Welcome to the Monkeyhouse (short stories), the Keveorkian book, and a couple of the essay/interview books.

-Bok

Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
I have only read Breakfast of Champions. I opened it in the middle, and to my then-confused mind it seemed like a parody of a romance novel.

It sufficiently intrigued me to buy and read the whole thing the next day, though.

Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

I prefer Cat's Cradle. I'm not quite sure why people call Kurt Vonnegut a humorist, unless I've read the wrong two books.
Bokonon
Member # 480

He's a black humorist, or satirist, if you prefer. I haven't read a single book of his that hasn't been a comedy (and hasn't had parts that I found funny), if if it's about the world ending (which is in more than a couple).

A lot of it is ironic humor, dark stuff, but it's clear to me he is a humorist of a type.

-Bok

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never read Vonnegut.(sorry)

But who is Kazak? That is what our dog's name was. I got him when he was a pup, but he had already been named after a Vonnegut character.

(I know Kazakhstan is a place in real life)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Shamefully, I had forgotten, but here is a more-than-you-wanted-to-know explaination:

http://pweb.jps.net/~tgangale/mars/other/vonnegut-ekman.htm

Basically, it was the name of a character's dog in a Vonnegut book.

-Bok

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
That's right, I remember now that he was a time traveling dog!

Funny(and sad for me), because I think of time in terms of Kazak. I miss him terribly.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.