FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Love on a Disc

Author Topic: Love on a Disc
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
So i'm starting to cope with this whole 'moving-away-to-college-,-and-away-from-the-girl-I-love' thing.. We've talked.. and she says she couldn't see being with anyone else but me.. and I asked if she'd wait for me and she seemed to be up for that.. but anyway.. I want to make her a CD before I leave with a bunch of romantic-ish songs and maybe some goofy or cheezy ones that kind of deal with being with her or stuff like that.. I already know I want 'Come What May' from the Moulin Rouge soundtrack and the cute french one on that soundtrack as well.. and umm.. the 'Youre my home' one that's on Raia's 3000 Landmark thread.. because she told me that she considered me as being her home once.. but anyway- I need ideas.... names of songs and their artist will be much appreciated.. thank you all.

-Jack Montague

[ September 03, 2004, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Pepek ]

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Just Watch the Fireworks by JIMMY EAT WORLD. it's perfect for this.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed 2: Cruise Control
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
My all time favorite quirky love song is This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody) by Talking Heads. There's also a version by Shawn Colvin which is excellent.

If you want a real legit love song, I've met a lot of girls, and I've never known a single one of them that wouldn't melt at the sound of Harvest Moon by Neil Young. It's foolproof.

Paradise, The Sweetest Taboo or Nothing Can Come Between Us by Sade are also excellent for this purpose.

Another funny/quirky one is If I Had $1,000,000 by Barenaked Ladies. Obvious but good.

Oh, oh, and don't forget Wicked Game by Chris Isaak. Classic.

Okay, just one more. This is just a personal favorite of mine. Try A Case of You by Joni Mitchell.

[ September 03, 2004, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Speed 2: Cruise Control ]

Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice list, Speed. Harvest Moon is a melter. sade is a definite.
Dang, Pepek, too bad you don;t live near Boston. There is a show that comes on after nine called "Bedtime Magic," with lts of great love songs.
Another of my all time favorites is "Birdsong," by the Grateful Dead.
"Always and Forever," by Heatwave.
"Annie's Song," by John Denver.
"If Ever I Would Leave You," from "Camelot"
"On the Street Where She Lives," from "My Fair Lady
"I Fall to Pieces," Patsy Cline
"Crazy," Patsy Cline

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed 2: Cruise Control
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
If she's into '80s tunes, here's some more.

Never Tear Us Apart by INXS
Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
Every Little Thing She Does is Magic by The Police
Speaking of The Police, you could try Be Still My Beating Heart by Sting

Here's some older classics

Moondance or Crazy Love by Van Morrison.
You Are the Sunsine of My Life by Stevie Wonder
All Of My Love by Led Zeppelin

That's all for now.

Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

Drive On To Me by ELLIOTT
PINK LEMONADE by JUMP LITTLE CHILDREN
DISCO 2000 by PULP

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say avoid the Magnetic Fields like the plague. Great music, but not what you'd want for this CD.

If you're looking for kind of wacky, how about "It Must Be Love" by Madness. You could always put on "She's An Angel" by They Might Be Giants. I'd suggest *not* putting on their "They'll Need a Crane".

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll want to give "Narrow Your Eyes" by They Might Be Giants a fairly wide berth too.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

come on man, PUNK LOVE by magnetic fields is perfect.

word.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Return of the Grievous Angel, by Gram Parsons

"Oh, and I remember something you once told me
And I'll be damned if it did not come true
Twenty thousand roads I went down, down, down
And they all lead me straight back home to you"

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Denison Marrs - Twilight Eyelight

(one of the most beautiful songs ever)

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, the creation of a solid mix tape is one of the most difficult tasks known to man.

So you really need to know your material and who you're making it for. Don't take suggestions, craft it around songs you know that either have meaning for you or apply to the two of you in some oblique way that she's likely going to figure out and feel smart and special as a result. While, of course, keeping a solid flow to the tape.

It's nothing to scoff at. My friend could craft a mix tape to make men weep but I've never known anyone else with the same knack.

*hand over heart and gazing blissfully into the distance*

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

My husband is a master of mixed tapes.

And of mixed drinks, too.

The two skills work well together.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, Liz...he got you, right? [Big Grin]

I love True Companion by Marc Cohen...it was our wedding song, and fit us personally to a T.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WraithSword
Member # 6829

- posted      Profile for WraithSword   Email WraithSword         Edit/Delete Post 
The music in Madlax is really great. And while they're bringing the songs out on CD, I think that all the gunfire and yelling is really integral, so it's a bit sad that those will be taken out.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*shudder* Okay, some of the suggestions on this thread are really, really terrible.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

What are your suggestions, Tom? Instead of tearing down, leaving everyone to wonder which of their song suggestions are crappy, try building up. It can be fun.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
"Poetry in Motion," but I don't remember who the artist is.
"All I Have to Do is Dream," The Everly Brothers

I have an entire CD called "Sentimental Journey," that's got 40 of the type of song you're looking for. Those are a couple of examples, but there really are a ton.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh- hey everyone- while there were alot of not-so-good songs on here for what i'm looking for, there were also a few good ones, and where some may have not been what I was looking for, I did end up running into some perfect songs that describe things perfectly while I was looking for some of the songs on here.. Anyway- I'm still looking for more ideas and I appreciate it an incredible amount.. Anyone know the song 'Promise' by Cauterize? it's perfect.. probably gonna be the last song on the cd.. anywho- thanks all, still looking for more ideas.

-Jack Montague

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by, Marvin Gaye
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
It may be my age, but all the women I've talked to about romantic pop tunes go for "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel. Some have traced it back to John Cusack holding up the boombox in Say Anything, but my blown-away moment was from a live concert.

Were I to design my own CD of love songs (not "leaving" songs, but the "ahhhhh" ones that make me turn up the volume and sway, eyes closed), for me, my object of such devoted affection ( [Wink] ):

"In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel
"Light as the Breeze" by Leonard Cohen
"She" by Elvis Costello (per Charles Aznavour)
"She's Got a Way" by Billy Joel
"She's Always a Woman" by Billy Joel
"Piano in the Dark" by Brenda Russell
"Hold On" by Tom Waits
"Hold Back the Dawn" by Robbie Robertson
"Fields of Gold" by Sting
"Feels Like Rain" by Buddy Guy
"Layla" by Eric Clapton
"Look What You've Done to Me" by Boz Scaggs
"Sara, Smile" by Hall & Oates
"Save the Best for Last" by Vanessa Williams

Wow, you know, I just might do that. It's pretty much the story of our courtship in a seashell, so to speak. [Smile]

[ September 04, 2004, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It may be my age, but all the women I've talked to about romantic pop tunes go for "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel. Some have traced it back to John Cusack holding up the boombox in Say Anything, but my blown-away moment was from a live concert.
A nice song but just not "it" for me LOL

Some of my favorites (and perhaps not applicable to Pepek's idea) that I haven't seen mentioned yet:
"Can't Fight this Feeling" REO Speedwagon
"Babe" Styx
"Just the Way You Are" Billy Joel
"You Make Loving Fun" Fleetwood Mac
"You're So Beautiful" Def Leppard
"Love and Affection" Nelson (okay, everyone go EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW)
"Sunshine of your Love" Cream
"Make Me Smile" Chicago

And yes I also make tapes or CDs (depending on when it was in my life) when I become involved with someone. Make sure that when you send it to your lady, Pepek, that you've also made a copy of it for yourself! There's something highly romantic (at least in my opinion) about two people in a long distance relationship listening to the same music simultaneously while on the phone together.

Goody

[ September 04, 2004, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.