FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's the best way to get to Ames, Iowa?

Author Topic: What's the best way to get to Ames, Iowa?
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that April 2nd of next year is a ways off, but with the job I have, I need to start saving now so I can afford the trip.

Missing Kamacon was bad enough, but missing the wedding of the century would be a dreadful thing. [Frown] I know Dana's probably busy with planning the big event, so anyone who knows the answer to the question, please feel free to answer.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I would drive. But it may not be as direct for you.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Well, driving isn't an option for me. My options are flying, the bus, Amtrak, or catching a ride with somebody who is driving from this part of the country. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Bus maybe be cheaper, but takes a long time. If you keep your ears open, you might strike a good ticket. You should keep open to flying for cheap to a place you could then carpool the rest of the way. Since "Ames International Airport" doesn't ring a bell with me. Everytime I've checked on Amtrak, it is as expensive as a middling airline ticket combined with slow. I would be open to Amtrak if it weren't way more expensive than bus, because I love the actually journey.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Yeah, riding the train is cool. I took the train to Salt Lake City when I went to the MTC.

By the way, pooka [Wave] . It was nice getting to meet you and your kids.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ames has its own airport . . . but unless you own your own plane, you won't find it too useful. [Wink]

About 40 miles from Ames is the Des Moines International Airport, served by a number of fine airlines.

If one wishes to include a visit to scenic Omaha, Nebraska (a mere 2.5 hours drive from Ames), there's an airport there as well.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to say that if Dana is already so busy planning the wedding now that she can't answer the question, there's no way I'm missing this thing. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if I'll be able to get away from school long enough to go to the wedding. Transportation would be a huge problem for me--I need to fly due to time constraints, but then I might have trouble getting from Des Moines to Ames. Oh well.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Greyhound no longer goes to Ames. (Scroll down the page and click on Regional Route Changes, then click on Iowa.) It does say "Interline carrier service available." I think they mean Jefferson Lines.

Anyway, maybe a central Iowa Jatraquero/a could bring one or two people from Des Moines if they can get that far.

Edited to add: Fort Dodge also has an airport, and it's about an hour's drive from Ames. There are at least a couple places to rent cars.

[ September 05, 2004, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: CaySedai ]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who makes it to the Des Moines airport, you don't need to worry about how you'll make it the rest of the way. I'll pick you up, or assign someone to do so. The last 40 miles is the easy part, folks. Figure out how you're going to handle the first part of the trip, and then don't worry about it.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

[Cool] [Hail] [Hail] ElJay
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, cool. Two worshipping grapes. Better be careful or it will go to my head. [Wink]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.