FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A conundrum for you fix-it types

Author Topic: A conundrum for you fix-it types
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
While moving into my dorm again this year, I was foolishly carrying a lamp atop the bedside table and it fell off, shattering the light bulb.

The problem is that there's still a brokeny light bulb in the lamp, and I don't have a potato around. Any ideas for getting it out that don't involve potatoes?

Edit: I can't believe I spelled conundrum wrong...

[ September 06, 2004, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have needlenose pliers? Note: UNPLUG THE LAMP FIRST!

If you can catch the metal portion of the bulb without catching the socket, you should be able to use the pliers to unscrew the bulb.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
You could try a pair of pliers or anything that you can open up and apply pressure to the remnants of the metal part of the bulb.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
No offense, if you don't have a potato...why bother?

Why bother LIVING if you ain't got no POTATO?

Answer me that...and you'll solve a question that's bothered philosophers for 2 centuries...

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Apple? Turnip? Papaya? Old rag wrapped in rubber bands and wedged in tight? [Dont Know]

Definitely unplug first, whether you use metal pliers or fruit or whathaveyou.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

OH MY GOD!!! I don't know why I even continue living, it's such a sham!!! !!! !!! !

Without a potato.... Man.. God... It's a good thing I have the shards of this broken lightbulb to impale myself on and slit my wrists and so on... (down not across down not across)

Anyhow, I'll try the pliers thing, but I dunno if it'll work, the lamp is weird and there's cardboard over the metal part...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko,
Apply reverse pressure with the needle-nose pliers. Push out from within the screw-in area and turn.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

WAH HAH!!! No needle-nose pliers, and couldn't get a grip on the regular ones, but I applied torque to the flat-like glass bit in the middle (poised over the garbage) and it came out! YAY!!!

Additionally, since I was moving it in when it broke, I had no opportunity to plug it in. Also, I'd have remembered.. I learned that potato trick from Home Improvement... [Razz]

But now a new conundrum arises. As I was bending to plug in my lamp, I knocked over a bookend I'd brought to... End my books. It fell to the floor and broke, (more than it already was) but when I picked up the pieces I noticed a smell like sulphur. It looked a bit like marble, a dark gray and white kinda thing. Could it have been made of sulphur? O_o

Phanto
Member # 5897

Ryuko, you seem like a nice kid. So I'll square straight with ya, okay?

First you tell us yo' lighbulb be smashed. Fine. Then you got no potato!!!! Well, that too is *fine*. But now ya' be breaking yo' book stuff?

That not good, man! You gotta be getting outta your place and runna away before the evil ghosts that are obviously haunting you...finish you off.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

It's either ghosts or my large and unweildy bosom... [Frown]
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko, back slowly away from the breakable domestic items ... yes, that's it ... now stay there. [Wink]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Don't question the ghosts, Ryuko. Start doing that, and the fabric of society will fall apart. Why, we'll start having people marrying their cars!
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Bosoms have caused a great deal of trouble in the world, it's true.
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
When you start having multiple clumsies during a moving adventure, it is time to go out for ice cream or frozen yogurt.

No idea about the sulpher smell. Except I always associated that smell with demonic possession. Hmmm, maybe it isn't time for ice cream, but rather a visit from a priest or shaman.

I hope you like your new place.

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only comic book geek who thought, "Must be Nightcrawler" when sulfer came up?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I've read of plaster sulphur textiles. [Dont Know]

DocC, I think it's the fault of the bosom. Her bosom has gone on a wild rampage, wreaking havoc among domestic breakables and men.

It must be restrained. Sports bra, methinks.

DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, not to put too fine a point on it, but my bosoms haven't gotten me into nearly enough trouble, so I will decline to comment on it. (err, them)
Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*pat pat* Ryuko, been there, done that. Hey, you haven't broken anything really expensive, right?

As far as the bookend, does any of it have streaks of green or yellow? Even if not, small traces of sulfur dioxide are fairly common in rock sample, I think.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.