FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » At the Risk of Being Rude (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: At the Risk of Being Rude
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
But I don't care...
Please tell me why do people want to vote for Bush?
He can barely answer simple questions. He claims to be improving the economy by adding new jobs, but many of them are service jobs. He uses all sorts of sneaky, meaningless double language.
He got us into this illogical war.
Call me an anti-Bush liberal. I don't care. I'm at my wit's end with frustrating.
All the research I have been doing leads me to one conclusion-Bush is not good for this country and in the future I'll highlight several reasons why.
But for now... I simply don't know how much more of this I can take. Maybe I'm not bright. Perhaps it's the fact that I know very little about politics but it feels WRONG to me.
So many things. The environment, interfering with overtime, tax cuts, gay marriage, listening to this man answer any question that isn't neatly scripted.
It bothers me.
It has been bothering me since 2000.
Even after 9/11 all I could think was, "He's saying all the wrong things, all the things that lead to war and chaos and everyone is praising him."
Maybe I am simply young, blind and ignorant.... [Confused]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's not how good Bush is, but how bad his opponent is.

On the other hand, I'm a Canadian.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean by "service jobs" exactly? Do you mean military service? Or jobs that produce a service versus a tangible product?
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
You are young, blind, and ignorant. [Smile] [Razz]
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would people vote for Kerry then?
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Service as in Mc Donalds, working at the stupormarket, that sort of thing...

I don't really know much about Kerry, I admit, but, he sounds more together. Like he has an actual plain instead of just a series of clever soundbites designed to hide the fact that there IS no plan.
That is my observation, but I am cynical and bitter about politics these days.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Like he has an actual plain instead of just a series of clever soundbites designed to hide the fact that there IS no plan.
That is my observation, but I am cynical and bitter about politics these days.

I don't know enough about it myself, I'm just pointing out that this may be not be the most objective of viepoints. But I think you already know that. You are frustrated and disillusioned. I feel that way too.

But this is a good place to discuss this. You are doing the right thing. You are explaining how things look to you and asking others for their input. They might be able to help you solidify how you perceive things--help you be more confident in your own objectivity--and also help you understand why someone else might vote for Bush. You may not agree with it, but you may actually come to respect it. Or not. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WraithSword
Member # 6829

- posted      Profile for WraithSword   Email WraithSword         Edit/Delete Post 
I frankly think that Bush is a pansy who is afraid to look at the truth. War is the only good thing that humanity has ever invented, and he's always trying to avoid that.

Kerry would know how to fight empty wars for no gain. But he would do so without understanding that war has its own meaning, independent of national advantage.

I find it very amusing that Kerry is losing this campaign so badly, particularly since it is the result of his own stupidity rather than anything clever the Bush team has done. But I have to say I would find a dark satisfaction in the ironies that would come about should Kerry win somehow.

Elda Taluta...This is the truth of humanity. We shouldn't be fighting for rational reasons of national self interest. We should fight wars blindly and idiotically, that is why Kerry is preferable to Bush. He will plunge us into idiotic wars that serve no purpose except to spread the killing.

Still, one cannot vote for the man on such a basis. The correct thing is to engineer madness and chaos in the world, and let that chaos bring fools into power. Kerry will be a better tool to us if he is brought to power by the spread of unreason and lawless actions, not by a rational process like a valid election.

The plans have already been set in motion. Those who want to vote for Bush are deceived, complacently imagining that such a flimsy thing as law can implement their impure desires. It is anarchy and crime that allow humans to show their true nature. The man that will unleash war for its own sake must be put in power by actions that destroy our false "morality".

Posts: 100 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

"War is the only good thing humans have ever invented?"
O...K...
We're not apes anymore. We need to evolve out of that stupid war crap is what I think.

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was pretty obvious that he was being sarcastic in some sort of weird way. Possibly trying to create some sort of a satire. Or at least I assume is was just a bad satire, I don't think he's that ignorant.

[ September 07, 2004, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I hope not... On some occasions satire goes right over my head...
WraithSword
Member # 6829

- posted      Profile for WraithSword   Email WraithSword         Edit/Delete Post 
Follow the Madlax links and you'll come to understand. Or not, I can't vouch for your intelligence level, after all.

If people really want to avoid war, they will act intelligently to prevent aggression while promoting ideals of peace and unity. So, if you really think that war is such a bad idea, go ahead and vote for Mr. "Terrorists and Warmongering Dictators are bad! bad, BAD I say! Stop commiting acts of violence against innocent people, or I'll stop you!"

Tse...what a goofball. He can't stop what's coming.

Okay, I applaud the effort, I really do. Trying to prevent needless war and violence is a fine and idealistic goal. But I'm hardly about to pin my hopes on the success of such a impossible program. War, real war, will be unleashed. This resistance against the tide of history may gain you a little time, a few years to enjoy that shadow of what humanity can never have in this life. But the end will be the same.

Appeals to rational self interest? Don't make me laugh. Self interest isn't rational, it is utterly irrational. War is coming because the people of the world desire this thing. That is their true nature, and it cannot be suppressed forever.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Interesting...
You sound like some other guy I've heard on another site...
Really, terrorism is an abstract concept. A symptom of the disease that is oppression...
You can't really fight a fire with fire anymore than you can fight a war with more war...
But, this is hard to convince people of, so...
War ensues...

digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course. Madmen with guns shooting children, and it's not THEIR fault, it's OUR fault for being nasty to them.

I am no great defender of the US of A, but there seems to be something fundamentally wrong with this kind of reasoning...

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WraithSword
Member # 6829

For all you know, I might well be the guy from the other site. Feel free to name names. If my posts here sound like my posts elsewhere, then that might mean that I'm not too crazy to leave.

And that would be nice...because this place really is quite a cesspool of idiocy. Being the responsible and upstanding person I am, I have to come here when my mind is severely deranged rather than allowing my insanity to infect more intelligible sites. But that doesn't mean I don't find it rather distasteful.

Hah, the mental leper calling his fellows "unclean". How ironic.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm voting for Bush because I support most of his party's social agenda.

In this day and age, you don't vote for a man so much as you vote for which party you want to have control over the Executive branch. The President, I'm thinking, is a figurehead.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get Wraithsword either. And, as it happens, I'm not actually planning to vote for Bush. So technically I shouldn't be answering this question....

But it comes down to this--the only way to deal with force is force, or at least the credible threat thereof. It's not pleasant, by any means, but that's how the world works. What I object to isn't Bush's use thereof but his incompetence in doing it.

As for the rest, have of the things you find objectionable about Bush I like about him. They're policy differences, and shouldn't be too hard to understand. You're in favor of gay marriage, so naturally you object to his opposition; I'm not, so his opposition pleases me. I don't see how that's difficult to understand.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Synth, is there honestly any point in answering? You post these searching questions in a significant number of threads. Whenever someone does attempt to answer, you write tortured posts listing examples of what you don't like, with no links or analysis, then say something to the effect of "I just don't get it."

There's probably dozens of posts defending Bush on each of those topics (except maybe the unscripted answering thing), and none of these have led you closer to understanding.

Why torture yourself? You're obviously not voting for Bush, and that's fine. It's a democracy.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I find it very amusing that Kerry is losing this campaign so badly..."

You know he's not, right? Considering that he's running against an incumbent president with twice the warchest, he's doing pretty well; Kerry was always the underdog in this thing, y'know.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
You can't really fight a fire with fire anymore than you can fight a war with more war...
History has proven you wrong.

The most common method for deposing unjust governments, expansionist empires, and oppressive regimes is through bloodshed.

It's not the best way, certainly. What everyone would LIKE to see is for despots, tyrants, madmen, and fanatics to have a change of heart, and begin to govern responsibly and benignly.

But people of that sort are not given over to changes of heart.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Bush, Kerry, peas from the same pod.

Bush went to war in Iraq... Kerry was one who voted in favor of him doing so. Bush gave an unwise tax cut, Kerry voted in favor of that, too. The Patriot Act, might not be surprising that Kerry voted for that as well. Soaring deficit? Kerry's been a senior member of the Senate and has ridden the train with the rest of them.

Bush wins, Kerry wins, it just won't matter. It's just a fraternity wrestling match between the children of privilege.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Bush wins, Kerry wins, it just won't matter."

If you believe this, Sopwith, will you do me the personal favor of voting for Kerry? I'd appreciate it, and since you don't care one way or the other....

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were voting I'd probably vote for Kerry, if only because I feel pretty let-down by Bush.

But I'll probably be writing someone in.

Oh well, one less for Bush, I suppose.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, when it comes down to it, I just look at the upcoming presidential election and wonder how, out of a population as large as we have, these were the two best choices?

My vote will probably go to Kerry this time around, purely based on two things: 1) John Edwards and 2)Dick Cheney.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll write in Tom Davidson if you will.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Basically, when it comes down to it, I just look at the upcoming presidential election and wonder how, out of a population as large as we have, these were the two best choices?
*cries*
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Ooo. . . Tom Davidson.

:considers:

I'm not trying to flatter him, either. Tom's stance on abortion is pretty close to mine, and I imagine that we're pretty similar as far as fiscal policies are concerned. . . and he comes off as so darn honest.

If ONLY he was from the South, he might have a chance.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'm not 35, sadly. And I completely avoided combat action in Vietnam.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The deferrment for toddlers is pretty bulletproof.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

:sad:

Alas! If only Tom were more aged, we might have a president we could respect-- or at least agree has some shred of humanity hanging on his carcass!

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And that would be nice...because this place really is quite a cesspool of idiocy. Being the responsible and upstanding person I am, I have to come here when my mind is severely deranged rather than allowing my insanity to infect more intelligible sites. But that doesn't mean I don't find it rather distasteful.
Methinks the Lady doth protest too much. [Smile]

(Actually, methinks loud protestations and tortured expositions are best ignored out of politeness, but that's pretty much the same thing. Except for the telling you part.)

On the other hand, welcome to Hatrack. There's room for everybody! *smile

[ September 07, 2004, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

First of all, Digging_Holes did I say that? Did I specifically say it was our fault for being nasty to them as you put it?
No. I said that violence leads to more violence and war leads to more war. It's a logical conclusion.
No, my way of reasoning is that the policies of the past didn't really help the situation and it is their fault if they react violently, killing innocents in the process in car bombs and other terrorist attacks.
But, it's never-ending. Which is why people must at least make sure they know what the hell they are doing.
Which is why I still, after all these months cannot understand the war in Iraq.
I was neutral when it first started. I listened to the news programs. Read the opinions of Orson Scott Card and various people on other sites that would say things like, "We should just blow them up and turn the Middle East into a gas station."
The war's been bungled from the beginning.
There were no weapons of mass destruction. There was the looting at the beginning of the war. I listened to this one scientist cry because precious artifacts were stolen from his musuem.
There is proof that Hussein had nothing to do with Al Queda. Most of the terrorist were from Saudi Arabia and Egypt, none were from Iraq and yet here we are creating more future terrorist than stopping them.
Sure, it's good to get out a terrible dictator, but not at the risk of becoming what you're claiming to stop! Just the audacity to use Abu Graib as a prison then turning around and torturing people in ways Saddamn Hussein wouldn't have is enough to turn my stomach.
It's sickening and it hurts. It hurts knowing that my country is responsible for these actions even if it does turn out to be a small sliver of people.
It's unbearable hearing more news of this unfold; boys raped, doctors lying and saying that beating victims died of natural causes, children, teenagers imprisoned!
A country invading another country and claiming they are doing it for noble reasons like stopping terrorism and over throwing a dictator.

Sure, some people can dismiss it as nothing more than frustrated soldiers letting off steam or they can claim it's no more harmless than a fraternity initiation.
Obviously they have no idea what goes on with a lot of hazing rituals. It's enough to turn the stomach and in the eyes of these Iraqis it's dehumanizing and horrible beyond belief.

As for sources, most would just dismiss mine as nothing more than Liberal rhetoric, but who cares? This is something to think about no matter where it comes from.
Currently I am half-way through a book called Bushwhacked by Molly Ivins and Lou Dubose. So far they have talked about Bush's education policy and how ineffective it is, how it focuses more on testing, thus causing a lot of students that have trouble with the test to fall through the cracks. It is also underfunded. They also talk about meat inspection and how regulations have been weakened allowing the listeria bacteria to go unnoticed on cold cuts which can cause the deaths of a lot of people, they talked about OSHA and how that was weakened and about Bush's environmental policies.
I take most things with a grain of salt, but if these things are true, if voting for Bush leads to unregulated meat and weakened environmental laws in favour of big business among other things, he's not worth voting for!

As for Democrats voting for the war back in 2003. Most Democrats are pansies. Most of the were still caught up in the post 9/11 frenzy and probably didn't want to look unpatrotic.
Most of them probably truly believed attacking Iraq was the right thing to do.
Or, most of them had their heads up a certain dark part of their anatomy for several months after 9/11 which kept them from reading amendments, laws and acts before voting them in.
Who knows? I wish we could honestly strip congress and the senate of... everyone... and get brand new people in who will actually THINK. Who will use at least 5% of their brain power and realize that their actions affect the US.
Because of them voting for that war, thousands of our soldiers lives are being jeopardized. Politics ought to be about checking and balancing the other party, not blindly going along with things like lemmings...
[Wall Bash]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

And accusing people of going along as lemmings is not exactly fair to them, is it?

It's just possible that people who disagree with you actually thought about the issues before coming to their conclusions. You want a civil debate, start from the assumption that your opponents aren't idiots, dupes, lemmings, or sheep.

Dagonee

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"I wish we could honestly strip congress and the senate of... everyone... and get brand new people in who will actually THINK."

I think you'd be surprised at how quickly the new people would resemble the old people. The problem, IMO, isn't the Congresspeople; it's their aides-de-camp and electioneers.

Scott R
Member # 567

Syn-- you imply that the American led coalition in Iraq is as bad or worse than Sadaam's regime.

Am I reading you right on this? Can you explain why you feel this way, keeping in mind that there are more parts to governing a country than running its prisons?

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
There's something happening here.
What it is ain't exactly clear.
There's a man with a gun over there,
Telling me I got to beware.
I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound?
Everybody look what's going down.

There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds,
Getting so much resistance from behind.
I think it's time we stop, hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look what's going down.

What a field day for the heat.
A thousand people in the street,
Singing songs and carrying signs,
Mostly say, “Hooray for our side.”
It's time we stop, hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look what's going down

Paranoia strikes deep:
Into your life it will creep.
It starts when you're always afraid.
You step out of line, the man come and take you away.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

At this point, I don't really care about being fair.
Rude, but true.
I see instances of people just blindly accepting policies, like the Democrats and Republicans after 9/11.
I saw people get temporarily black listed for disagreeing with the government's policies back then, Dixie Chicks come to mind.
Somehow that is rather contrary to what they claim to be fighting against.
As for Iraq, I admit it, I'm ignorant. All I know is what little information I can gather about the situation.
I have to do more research.
But, one thing that bothers me. If all of this was going on back in the 70s and 80s, why didn't the US step in until 91 and only when Kuwait was at risk?
People seem to overlook the fact that Iraq was an ally that the US sold weapons to (France and Germany as well.)
Again, I'm ignorant, but, it is useful to post to get more info from multiple sides...

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040510fa_fact
Probably in the eyes of the Iraqis torture on the US would be worse than under Saddam, I do not know...
Sexual torture to them is millions of times worse than being hung by the arms.
http://www.antiwar.com/news/?articleid=2444
It just makes me sick... mainly it's because people who are claiming to be liberators sent to help the people there are doing this...
It hurts...

[ September 07, 2004, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Service as in Mc Donalds, working at the stupormarket, that sort of thing...
It really bothers me when people talk like this. If you feel that working in a restaurant or a supermarket is too demeaning, then you had better be willing to never *EVER* patronize such places. There is nothing wrong with honorable work.

Not that they are great jobs, mind you -- I understand that. But if you ever eat fast food, then you are supporting a system that requires people to work in fast food.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Lets get this straight once and for all.

The American led Coalition in Iraq is better for Iraq than Sadaam Hussein's tryanny.

It is very questionable if it is better for America.

Spending our military, foriegn clout, and intelligence resources in destroying Al Queda is what will keep America safe, not wasting it policing up Iraq. The impotent and cruel dictator of Iraq could not muster the strength to Hurt the US. Al Queda can.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

May I point out that we knew about Sadaam's humanitarian abuses for 12 years, condemned them, and he did NOTHING to alleviate world concerns?

Relatively quickly after the scandal in Abu Gharib was made known, the US has taken steps to improve conditions, and bring the perpetrators of the abuse to justice.

So . . . where do you get the idea that the US and Hussein regimes are equally reprehensible, Syn? They just don't scale.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It seems to me that you must mean something other than what this appears to say.

How else do you fight a war other than with war? Do you think we could have won WWII with poetry? With flowers? With Leggos?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I see instances of people just blindly accepting policies, like the Democrats and Republicans after 9/11.
Were they blind because they disagree with you? How do you know they were blind?

quote:
I saw people get temporarily black listed for disagreeing with the government's policies back then, Dixie Chicks come to mind.
The so-called blacklisting of the Dixie Chicks represented people exercising their rights to freedom of speech and association, and businesses listening to those exercises.

quote:
At this point, I don't really care about being fair.
Rude, but true.

Since we're apparantly not interested in courtesy any more:

Frankly, your "I'm a tortured soul just trying to figure out why people think differently than I" facade is becoming thinner and thinner as time goes on. You start the thread with "why do people want to vote for Bush?" and in your very next post accuse people whose policies you dislike of not thinking and acting like lemmings.

Could you please either stop pretending you want to understand others, or actually make an effort to do so. I don't care which, but the pretense is painful at this point.

Dagonee

[ September 07, 2004, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Mr. Port, the jobs serving fries and McDonalds or bagging groceries are good entry level jobs. They cannot support a family. That is why they are not as good as the factory jobs that were lost.

I heard President Bush's most recent speach. His economic policy can be seen in a purely Rich/Poor light.

1)Revamping the tax code. There are hints here that such a revamping would mean moving to a sales tax. Since the poor spend more of their money on neccesities, it would mean they would be spending a bigger percentage of thier limited income. Meanwhile, the wealthiest who invest the majority of their income, and spend much of the rest outside the country, would be paying much less.

Even if you do not believe he is pushing for that change, President Bush has insisted that tax cuts should be focused on the people who pay the most. In other words, the rich will get the biggest tax cuts and the poor will get diminished services to pay for them.

Or we will just add to our national debt and some future--real--leader will have the buck stop at them.

2) Economic Opportunity Zones. Where many jobs have been lost, a series of government backed enticements will be laid out. These include some Training of Local Populace, but mostly, Tax Cuts For Corporations and Waivers From Regulations. This means that if a company closes up a good work environment, they government will pay for them to come back, and pesky things like environmental laws, OSHA safety procedures, Handicap Accesibility, and similar regulations will be waived.

If you want to work, you don't need to breath healthy air or drink clean water. If you get hurt on the job, hey, you have insurance don't you?

3) Lawsuit Reform. The idea is that companies, especially insurance companies, should not be bothered by lawsuits. Since some of these are frivolous, and others are mismanaged by lawyers who are more greedy than intelligent, the whole system must go. These changes will quite literally allow companies to get away with murder, and we will get a few grand to compensate the families of the dead.

The idea that the way to improve the American Medical System is to disallow the only way a patient can punish a bad doctor is ridiculous. This debate should not be about Doctors vs Lawyers. This debate should be about insurance companies playing both sides for fools.

Law Suits are not meant to make the victim wealthy. They are designed to punish those who victimize. So if a class action law suit only gives the victimes $10 and some coupons, that is not the point. The point is that it cost the company at fault far more than the profit they made by victimizing the great number of customers.

In other words, the type of Torte Reform President Bush is proposing is a boost to corporate America at the expense of the consumer. That's you and me and our children.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Adam and Dan, you make good points. What bothered me was referring to "working at the stupormarket", which is just plain rude to the people that do.

I know that Synestasia said she doesn't care if she's rude or not, but just because you don't care doesn't make it acceptable.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for sources, most would just dismiss mine as nothing more than Liberal rhetoric, but who cares?

*I* care, thank you very much. In case you didn't notice, most people here are pretty intelligent. We don't need you deciding how liberal a source is for us.

quote:
This is something to think about no matter where it comes from.
What I'd be thinking about is the validity of the source. Because people who make stuff up just to rile people up are expecting that exact reaction--"I don't care about the source because the topic is so hot".

This is the journalist in me, I suppose. To me, if you don't have a reason for me to believe you, you don't have *anything*.

Ran the risk of being rude there, but I don't care.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Just a random thought: Why not place a higher tax on luxury items? The sort of items that if you are buying them, it means you have too much money. Status symbols. This wouldn't effect those who are struggling just to get by unless they were being financially irresponsible. If I were Queen....

Syn, I tend to agree with you about the war. But then, I hate war. There is a part of me that grudgingly admits that sometimes in this world we live in, war is at least *an* answer, even if it isn't the only one. But I do look at this war in Iraq and think: this isn't getting rid of any terrorists, is it? And it *is* succeeding in ticking a lot of people off at us. Isn't this creating more hate and therefore fueling more terrorism? I would think that part of fighting terrorism is acting in a way that fosters confidence in us and not hate and fear.

If we restricted our warring to specific cases of terrorism, thus increasing the confidence of the world's nations that we were only using our fearful power right now against that specific thing, they might respect what we are doing--because it would be above reproach. At least, above reasonable reproach. I'm sure those intent on criticizing still would.

But I fear that we may have used the inertia of the war on terrorism to extend to a war that is not on terrorism. While it is good to get rid of a dictator, are there not many, many other such situations? What was special about this dictator except oil access? Even if that was not our prime motivation, it sure looks that way to the observer. Also, he is gone. We succeeded. Yay. Why are we still there? Because we worry that any replacement government would be just as bad for Iraq? Then what was the point?

I also claim ignorance, not understanding because I do not keep up on the news. I'm just saying how it looks to me with what I know. I am not really expecting good answers to these questions, because I don't think there are any good answers.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Why not place a higher tax on luxury items? The sort of items that if you are buying them, it means you have too much money. Status symbols. This wouldn't effect those who are struggling just to get by unless they were being financially irresponsible. If I were Queen....
I agree that necessities should be taxed less than luxeries. The problem lies in the fact that luxeries are discretionary, and therefore one easily replaces the other. So the tax-makers have to predict and stay ahead of society fads and trends, yet their actions change the fads and trends. Plus, of course, is the fact that the industries hurt by the taxes often employ many people in good manufacturing jobs.

It's a good principle that's hard to implement in practice.

Dagonee

[ September 07, 2004, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Some quick things that were special about Saddam besides access to oil:

He was routinely shooting at American planes.
He appeared to have a WMD program.
He was under treaty to prove to us that he didn't have a WMD program.
He absolutely refused to prove to us that he didn't have such a WMD program.
He was supporting terrorists (not against Americans, true)

beverly
Member # 6246

Yeah, Dag. It can only exist in the dream-world of my brain. *sigh*

Porter, my dear husband, you make some excellent points. Thank you. [Smile]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

On the other hand:

He was routinely shooting at American planes--and we were routinely shooting back, doing much more damage than he was.

He appeared to have a WMD program. We appear to not have even considered that he didn't. We allowed ourselves, our intelligence community, our President, our Congress, and yes, even each of us, to be fooled by this madman. The result, the terrorists are still running around and the world's best military is stuck in the sand.

He was under treaty to prove to us that he didn't have a WMD program. But proving a negative is impossible. He was set up to fail.

He absolutely refused to prove to us that he didn't have such a WMD program. Sure, he was an idiot and a egomaniac and a jerk. He wasted the lives of his countrymen to keep his ego in tact, and we played right into his hands.

He was supporting terrorists (not against Americans, true). The amount of our effort used to crush this small supporter of terrorists was excessive, and diminished our ability to destroy the terrorists themselves, and those supporting them to a greater extent.

Terrorists are like ants. The bite and nibble at you, causing much pain, and possibly spreading disease. Stomping on them seems such a simple solution. Yet it doesn't work. Crushing their Ant hills only spreads them to another part of the yard. The only way to kill the ants is to poison them, and their food source--(Terrorist Money supply and recruitment sources).

When you stomp all you do is crush a few, and crush other, harmless or helpful bugs, who happen to be under foot. And when they see the boot smashing down on them, even the most normally harmless bug may sting or bite.

Except we are not talking bugs here. We are talking people.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.