FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who said it?

Author Topic: Who said it?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Those of you who were here during the 2000 election may remember the "Who said it: Al Gore or the Uni-bomber thread". In that vane, decide who said the following -- G.W. Bush or Adolf Hitler.

"Providence withdrew its protection and our people fell, fell as scarcely any other people heretofore. In this deep misery we again learn to pray. . . . The mercy of the Lord slowly returns to us again. And in this hour we sink to our knees and beseech our almighty God that he may bless us, that He may give us the strength to carry on the struggle for the freedom, the future, the honor, and the peace of our people. So help us God."

"I feel like God wants me to run for President. I can't explain it, but I sense my country is going to need me. Something is going to happen . . . I know it won't be easy on me or my family, but God wants me to do it."

“ The course of this conflict is not known, yet its outcome is certain. Freedom and fear, justice and cruelty, have always been at war, and we know that God is not neutral between them.”

"I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn't do my job"

"I follow the path assigned to me by Providence with the instinctive sureness of a sleepwalker,"

"But there is something else I believe, and that is that there is a God. . . . And this God again has blessed our efforts during the past . . . years."

"My feeling as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter."

"The Ten Commandments are a code of living to which there's no refutation. These precepts correspond to irrefragable needs of the human soul."

“I believe God has called us into action.”

"I believe today that I am acting in the sense of the Almighty Creator.”

“With the might of God on our side we will triumph . . . God will watch over our troops and grant us a victory over the threat . . . God will bless us and keep us safe in the coming battle.”

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
"I need to get my shoes shined."

"I'm hungry -- when is dinner."

"Thank you very much."

"Would you marry me?"

"How long will it take?"

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I was not here for the 2000 elections.

But I do have to say your quotes are well chosen, espesually the first one!

Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
This game is easy: Hitler doesn't speak English.

But then again, some would say neither does Bush. [Wink]

I hope this thread doesn't get out of hand. Bringing up Hitler in the first post is like breaking out the Holy Grenade of Antioch to kill a rabbit.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I should have stipulated that the Hitler quotes have been translated into English. I am not the translator but as a fluent german speaker I can verify the the translations are accurate.

Do you dare to guess which quotes are from GW and which from Adolf?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
The ones with big words are Hitler's?
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You could say that Goodwin's Law killed anything productive that could have been done with this thread before it even got started.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
You really think anything productive could have come out of this thread?
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
"Al Gore or the Unabomber" was fair game four years ago.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kyrie
Member # 6415

Honestly (and im not saying this to be politically snide) I think that comparing Hitler to Bush is over kill, and also, in all likelyness Hitler was probably more intelegent then Bush (i have nothing agenst Bush, besides his politics), although with the quotes you picked one can see how they could be applyed to eather one. I also was not aware that Hitler pushed a god as much as Bush does, he pushed the consept of the "fatherland" more then anything eles.
Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
hope this thread doesn't get out of hand. Bringing up Hitler in the first post is like breaking out the Holy Grenade of Antioch to kill a rabbit.
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it's overkill. But I think if we're careful we can keep it all in good fun. To wit, here are my guesses:

1) Hitler
2) Bush
3) Bush
4) Bush
5) Hitler
6) Hitler
7) Hitler
8) Bush
9) Bush
10) Bush
11) Hitler

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'm perfectly willing to accept that Hitler was smarter than Bush. I also have no problems believing that he was a lot smarter than me.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually going to reply to this :

Bush (because of the word freedom, and God removed his protection, however, this is uncertain)

Hitler (because I can imagine Bush saying this)

Hitler (see above)

Bush

Hitler (sleepwalker is a term I, as a speechwriter, wouldn't use nowadays- it requires a personality like Hitler's to carry it off)

Bush (but there is something else I believe is very Bush-sounding)

Hitler (my feeling... points, surely should be my feelinsg point? I think this is either a slip up in translation or an attempt by Bush/His Speechwriters to sound intelligent)

Bush (irrefragable is a unusual word- translation is usuallty more direct)

Hitler (although could be Bush-there's not much to go on)

Bush (to balance out the previous quote. "Sense of the Almighty Creator" more modern.)

Bush (because it sounds very Hitlerian)

[Dont Know]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'll play. But I think a good game would also be Kerry and Bush quotes on Iraq. [Wink]

quote:
"Providence withdrew its protection and our people fell, fell as scarcely any other people heretofore. In this deep misery we again learn to pray. . . . The mercy of the Lord slowly returns to us again. And in this hour we sink to our knees and beseech our almighty God that he may bless us, that He may give us the strength to carry on the struggle for the freedom, the future, the honor, and the peace of our people. So help us God."
Lots of big words, should be Hitler, or Pat Robertson.

quote:
"I feel like God wants me to run for President. I can't explain it, but I sense my country is going to need me. Something is going to happen . . . I know it won't be easy on me or my family, but God wants me to do it."
Hitler wasn't a big family man, so I'll go with Bush.

quote:
“ The course of this conflict is not known, yet its outcome is certain. Freedom and fear, justice and cruelty, have always been at war, and we know that God is not neutral between them.”
This one is a tough call. I think it is Bush, because I don't think Hitler would talk about God and neutrality.

quote:

Bush, because Hitler would not consider his position as a job.

quote:
"I follow the path assigned to me by Providence with the instinctive sureness of a sleepwalker,"
Hitler. This sentence is too well-packaged to be a spontaneous statement, and I think Bush's speech writers would not come up with crap like this.

quote:

"But there is something else I believe, and that is that there is a God. . . . And this God again has blessed our efforts during the past . . . years."

Tough call. The ellipses might be a sign that this quote was edited to hide the context of the speech. So I'll guess Hitler.

quote:
Hitler, because Bush would've said "leader" instead of "fighter."

quote:

"The Ten Commandments are a code of living to which there's no refutation. These precepts correspond to irrefragable needs of the human soul."

Hitler. Those are mighty big words.

quote:

Tough call. This quote is too generic. I myself may have said it yesterday when I asked the pimpled-faced kid at Jack in the Box to hurry up with my order. I'll guess they've both said it.

quote:

Abraham Lincoln.

quote:

“With the might of God on our side we will triumph . . . God will watch over our troops and grant us a victory over the threat . . . God will bless us and keep us safe in the coming battle.”

Hitler. I think Bush would say "keep our men and women in uniform safe."
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WishfulWiggin
Member # 6823

- posted      Profile for WishfulWiggin   Email WishfulWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
oooo, a game.

1. Hitler (I don't think would lower himself like that)
2. Bush (the president thing...)
3. Bush (he overuses the word freedom)
4. Bush (I don't think Hitler would refer to what he did as a job)
5. Hitler (the word providence, not a word bush would use, also used in qoute #1)
6. Bush (sound like a presidential speech)
7. Hitler (fighter is too negative sounding)
8. Bush (irrefragable [Roll Eyes] )
9. Bush (guessing)
10. Hitler (another guess)
11. Hitler (to war-like)

Posts: 208 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kyrie
Member # 6415

1)Bush - but the falling part sounds like hitler, and in english its more commen in formal writeing to list things like "the freedom, the future, the honor, and the peace" in three, and with out the "the" for all of them. But falling to the knees dosent sound hitlerish.

2)Bush - the family thing

3)Bush- just seems like it

4)Bush- the job thing

5)...Hitler- i dont think any self-respecting speech writer would use the term "sleepwalker"

6)Bush- just seems like it

7)Hitler- it would be kind of tabo for Bush to say "fighter"

8)Bush- Because why would Hitler bring up the ten commandments? Although... the big words...

9)Hitler- Although too short to really tell

10)Bush- because.

11)Hitler- singuler use of "the threat" and "battle.”

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Providence withdrew its protection and our people fell, fell as scarcely any other people heretofore."
Hitler. Flailing his audience with the German fall out of military&economic power into the hyperinflationary recesssion/depression.
Dubya wouldn't point to Americans as a fallen people.

"I feel like God wants me to run for President. I can't explain it"
Dubya. Being unable to explain is typical.

"The course of this conflict is not known..."
Either, but favor Dubya. Can't see Hitler admitting to not knowing.

Dubya

"I follow the path assigned to me by Providence with the instinctive sureness of a sleepwalker"
Hitler. The phrasing is too metaphoricly boobytrapped for use by a presentday politician.
Dubya is more literal-minded in speech. And his speechwriters woulda never gotten it through the censorship of his political advisors.

Either. The "simple words" flavoring is more Dubya.

Either. Probably both if one looked through all of their public statements, and figured in a margin of freedom in wording caused by the necessary degree of looseness of the translation process.

Lean toward Hitler because of the second sentence.
I'd guess that irrefragable is the sort of word that a translator would use because of the directness of correlation with the German word. And because insufficient familiarity with AmericanEnglish would allow the translator to miss automaticly falling into the habit of choosing the commonly-used word over the rarely-used word. Same with the phrasing "...precepts correspond to irrefragable..."
I'd think 'irrefragable' is too little used to be in Dubya's speaking vocabulary -- though it is quite possible that he would know its meaning -- but Dubya can drop into high-falutin' preacher fancy talkin' mode fairly easily. So it depends on whether 'irrefragable' is amongst the preacher buzzwords.

"I believe God has called us into action."
Dubya. But Hitler probably said something extremely similar. (See quote below)

"I believe today that I am acting in the sense of the Almighty Creator.
Hitler. But Dubya probably has said something extremely similar. (See previous quote)

"With the might of God on our side we will triumph . . . God will watch over our troops and grant us a victory over the threat . . . God will bless us and keep us safe in the coming battle"
Both, if one allows for the necessary translation looseness.

[ September 08, 2004, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WraithSword
Member # 6829

- posted      Profile for WraithSword   Email WraithSword         Edit/Delete Post 
Bush has said all of them. What, you think he can understand untranslated German, or read without moving his lips?
Posts: 100 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, he could read German. If he wanted to learn it.
Never mistake a speech impediment for a lack of capability. Especially if the impediment concerns public speaking.

"...Godwin's Law killed...this thread before it...started"
Godwin is a nazi

[ September 07, 2004, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

No one has gotten them all right yet.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 

Obviously Hitler. Any nationalistic quote that deifies Providence is a Hitler quote.

Bush

Hitler

Bush

Hitler

Bush

Bush

Hitler

Bush

Hitler

Bush

What do I win?

[ September 08, 2004, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
First one:
Hitler.
For all the times Bush has called upon God I can't remember any time he used the word providence. Secondly, Bush has never implied that it is the American people that are failing, but rather that they are hated for being the paragons of freedom.

Second one:
Bush.
Hitler went in knowing what his plan was. None of this "sense" jimmer jammer, this quote is too weak for Hitler.

Third one:
Bush.
The freedom and fear rhetoric has been particularly thick these past few years. I can easily see these words coming out of his mouth.

Fourth one:
Bush.
He's said this more than once.

Fifth one:
Hitler
Again, Bush and "Providence" don't go hand in hand for me. Also the use of sleepwalker would be political suicide these days.

Sixth one:
Hitler
For some reason I can't see Bush saying this because using the term "years" could easily imply that Clinton's term was blessed as well. And really, can you see him doing that? Hitler was in power for more than enough time to make "years" apply to only him.

Seventh one:
Hitler
Linking all of Christianity to the Lord as fighters is too strong for Bush. It's one thing to say that God told you to go to war, it's another to say that all Christians are fighters. Actually... maybe this could go either way. But you know what they say, your first guess is usually the right one.

Eighth one:
Hitler
Bush wouldn't bring the 10 commandments into things with today's climate. God's will is nebulous. It's easy to see an opponent leaping all over "thou shalt not kill" these days.

Ninth one:
Bush
He believes that freedom is God's gift to the world and that America will deliver it. Or, God has called him into action.

Tenth one:
Hitler
The use of "sense" is a little old fashioned. God tells Bush to do things. God speaks through Bush but Bush doesn't speak in God's sense. It doesn't feel right.

Eleventh one:
Bush
I remember getting all worked up about something that sounded like this in The State of the Union address last year.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
"I need to get my shoes shined."
Hitler.
Back in Hitler's day it was possible to have a private life and have enough time to scuff your shoes between public events. Bush, as he's almost always on camera/in various meetings needs an arsenal of shiny shoes.

"I'm hungry -- when is dinner."
Bush.
Hitler wasn't a family man but I'm sure Bush has flopped on the couch after a hard day of work and asked Laura when dinner would be ready.

"Thank you very much."
Bush.
Many photo ops require shaking of hands and many thanks. He's lucky he got a few "Thank you very much" quotes in early in his term because lately I can't see him asking for anything that would necessitate a thanks.

"Would you marry me?"
Bush.
Adolph never married. And heck, he's *Hitler*. What would he do to you if you said no?? Even with his feelings about homosexuals I'd have been too frightened to say "no" to the man. (Ok, supposedly he married Eva the day before the commited joint suicide. But does that really count?)

"How long will it take?"
Hitler.
If Bush had said this we wouldn't be having our current problems in Iraq [Wink]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

BtL, last response:
[ROFL]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

And the correct answers are:

Adolf Hitler

G.W. Bush

G.W. Bush

G.W. Bush

A. Hitler

A. Hitler

A. Hitler

A. Hitler

G.W. Bush

A. Hitler

G.W. Bush

P.S. Bob the Lawyer got them all right.

kyrie
Member # 6415

[ROFL]
That was fun! lets do it again!!

kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
I am absolutely disgusted by this kind of garbage. I expect way more from Hatrack than this.

I will have the last word on this thread and then lock it. I get to do that. I’m only allowing it to stay at all because I hate the kind of attitude that this perpetuates and the truth should be known. Out of context and unsubstantiated quotes are so unfair and inappropriate. I don’t know where The Rabbit got this little exercise – but it was easy enough to do some research before posting it. Here’s a little truth:

There are exactly five quotes on the list the are ATTRIBUTED to George W. Bush. Attributed is a very important word as you will see. (The rest of the quotes are indeed from Hitler, but who cares.)

Here are the supposed Bush quotes and where they came from:

“I feel like God wants me to run for President. I can’t explain it, but I sense my country is going to need me. Something is going to happen . . . I know it won’t be easy on me or my family, but God wants me to do it.”

This quote is not directly from GWB – but from memories of a private conversation he had with evangelist James Robison before running for President. Quoting someone where there was no recording, no reporters taking notes, no public forum – this is not a reliable quote. It’s what Robison wanted to report Bush said. Did Bush say something about his feelings about God and himself in a private meeting with a preacher ? Certainly. Are these the exact words? Doubtful. Not fair to skewer him in public with them.

“The course of this conflict is not known, yet its outcome is certain. Freedom and fear, justice and cruelty, have always been at war, and we know that God is not neutral between them.”

This is a quote from Bush's address to the nation on September 20, 2001 – that’s 9 days after September 11th folks. There were few in the country who didn’t rally round this speech. This is the only real quote about the war from Bush in this entire list. I can’t imagine anybody having a problem with the President of the US expressing faith that God likes freedom over fear and justice over cruelty.

“I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn’t do my job.”

Another unsubstantiated quote. It was reported by Lancaster Online after Bush met privately with a group of Amish. No reporters attended the meeting. This was a second-hand report. Did he say something about his faith in God meeting with a group of Amish? Certainly. This exact quote? Who knows. Certainly taken out of context.

Amazing that those trying to tarnish Bush would use this one. It’s legit – but the context is gone. Sounds like he’s talking about going to war in Iraq doesn’t it? Nope – you would be wrong. He’s speaking in Uganda about the Aids crisis in Africa. The House of Representatives had just voted to limit spending on his proposed 5-year $15 billion Aids plan. He wanted to spent $3 billion the first year – but was limited to $2 billion. But he stated his staunch commitment to the fight. Here is the complete quote: “Over the next five years, my country will spend $15 billion to fight Aids around the world. You are not alone. America has decided to act. I believe God has called us into action. Our country has got a responsibility, we are a great nation, we are a wealthy nation, we have a responsibility to help a neighbor in need, a brother and sister in crisis.”

This quote comes from an article by Jay Shaft (Coalition for Free Thought in Media) posted on an Environmentalists Against the War website. He SAYS it comes from the State of the Union Address. Not true – no such quote anywhere in any State of the Union Address or anywhere else I could find – except other people quoting Shaft (ain’t it easy to put a lie out there?)

Evil men often attribute their crimes to God. That doesn't mean that good men who attribute their good deeds to God are therefore evil.

Hatrack exists to be a place for civilized conversation. We have very high standards – I hope we can remember them in the future.

Kristine Card

[ September 08, 2004, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: kacard ]

Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.