FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you don't reelect Bush, the terrorists win (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: If you don't reelect Bush, the terrorists win
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some would say his mistake was STOPPING THERE and only using military force against Al Quaeda training camps in Afghanistan when something bad about him popped up in the news
Funny, I tend to think of that being Bush Sr's mistake too....way before Clinton.

If Bush Sr had done the "right" thing then, there would have been a lot less trouble...

Of course the people in the millitary who advised pushing on were warned off for speaking out, against their Commander-In-Cheif.....

Some of them were still quite bitter about the way Bush treated them when I was in the service a few years later.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, you're right. Bush Sr. didn't push on when he should of. Why? Because he couldn't get UN support for it.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not completely accurate. There were many reasons why Bush Sr. didn't push on. For one thing, the first Gulf war was assisted by a coalition of the Arab states around Iraq and one of the major things done to form this coalition was to promise not to invade Iraq after turning them back from Kuwait.

Another thing that was speculated about but as far as I know never explicitly confirmed was that there was a big concern over what Iran would do in post invasion Iraq or even in an Iraq where Saddam Hussein was disposed and there was a leadership vaccum. The U.S. had a history at this point of trying to counter-balance Iran by supporting Iraq and turning a blind eye to it's atrocities.

Finally, George Bush Sr. laid out one of the bigest reason why he didn't think going into Iraq was a good idea, namely that it would turn into a very difficult situation where the U.S. troops would be indefinitely committed to fighting against attacks by both Iraqi and international terrorists/guerrilla fighters and he didn't think that the end goal justified entering into that type of situation.

I like to U.N. bash as much as the next guy who doesn't speak directly from the Republican party's talking points list, but the U.S.'s foreign policy prior to the current President's administration was much more complex than "We want to do the right thing, but the U.N. won't let us."

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.