FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Need help recording my voice reading stories

Author Topic: Need help recording my voice reading stories
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to figure out the best way to record my voice reading stories, to email out to family and friends.

I tried Windows sound recorder, but it always stops recording after about 1 minute. Can't figure out how to get it to record for 20 minutes or so, long enough to read something.

I have Digital Orchestrator Pro, with which I can record myself fine, but it makes .orc files which are huge and not readable without a copy of the program. I can't seem to get it to export to any other type of file. It says it can but then doesn't work. I either get a general protection fault and the program ends or else a quick beep and error dialogue box that just goes away before I can read it, and no file is made.

Does anyone know of a shareware program, maybe? Or some other way I can do this? Probably .mp3 format would be best. Don't need much bandwidth, it's only voice. Probably 10kHz or so would be fine. Maybe 12.

Thanks in advance for your help. Hatrackers know everything. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

[ September 09, 2004, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Get a standard battery-operated tape deck, a standard 60-minute cassette tape, and find a concrete hallway (adds a little reverb for warmth).

Press the "Play/record" function, wait about 10 seconds, and begin reading.

Works like a charm.

Mailing a cassette tape should be fairly inexpensive, too -

[Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle* You might try the Audio Record Wizard that's at the bottom of the page. I followed the link and there is a free download. [Wink]

Haven't used any, but I'm sure there is freeware out there. Here are a bunch.

[ September 09, 2004, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to use the basic Sound Recorder, what you can do is open it up and record with no sound device in use. Record for the 1 minute it defaults to and then save the blank wav file. Then, from the edit menu, select insert file and choose the blank file you just saved. Save again and you will have a 2 minute blank wav. Repeat until you have a file that is long enough for what you want to do and then open the file in Sound Recorder before you hit record.

I had to do this once when I needed to record something on a computer where I couldn't install any software.

You could also use Goldwave. With this you can create a new sound and specify the length you want it to be before you start recording.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Solo, what a pain!

AK, I forget what windows sound packages are good. Let me take a look and get back to you...

[ September 09, 2004, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Zevlag ]

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't drink milk before recording; it will cause flegm.

Don't eat beans, raw cabbage, eggs, or cheese the night before recording.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah it was a pain, but it didn't really take that long, exponential growth and all.

Goldwave really works quite well, but probably has a bit of feature overkill for this purpose.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.