FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any advice for me?

Author Topic: Any advice for me?
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my problem.

I have to tell someone something; but I just can't bring myself to do it! It's essential that this is said, and the consequences of not saying it far outway the extremely unlikely worst case scenario of what could happen if I did say it.

And yet...I'm paralyzed by myself. My entire future is at stake here, yet I am paralyzed...

How to overcome this?

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Some kind of mind altering substance/process? Go without sleep for a whole day or something.

I guess this is one case where posting more on Hatrack might not be the answer. Unless you start a lengthy thread and get all our input, then leave the screen up for your friend/associate to happen upon. Yeah, that's it.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you do it in writing, rather than face to face?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes it helps if you write it down or type it to them rather than tell them face to face. That's what I do when I have to tell someone something I don't want to tell them. So you could write them a note or an email. Something like that. Hope this helps!

Ivygirl

Edit: romanylass got in right before me. Didn't know it was being written at the time. Sorry for anything I repeated.

[ September 09, 2004, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: IvyGirl ]

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you hesitant because you don't want to break the news face to face? How about a letter, email, voice message, or a ninja?

Promise yourself a reward. Something really extravagant would do it. Focus on the reward and also imagine the pain you will feel if you don't get this task accomplished.

Or, just tell me and I'll pass no the message. [Wink]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's kind of like jumping off of a bridge. You just have to push yourself, really fast, before you know what you did. Like a sick sort of joke on yourself.

That sounds really weird, but it's really the sort of thought process I have when I make myself do something.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chupacabras
Member # 6840

- posted      Profile for Chupacabras   Email Chupacabras         Edit/Delete Post 
Here, I will tell it for you:

"HEY DUDE, YOUR FLY IS OPEN!"

Posts: 35 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
here's what you do. Imagine yourself in the near future, having already done the unpleasant task. It's a done deal, and nothing you can do will change that.

No you just have to get through the day to that point in time.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
All great advice, thanks [Smile] .

The problem is, however, that because this matter is so important to me, because the whole subject seems so unreal, because it feels laughable...

Perhaps it'd be best if I gave an example from literature, from the Great Dostoevsky. I am sadly like the character in this chapter http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?id=DosNote.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&tag=public&part=12&division=div2

I guess I have to find the strength within myself...

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.