FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question for the Grammar Nazis

Author Topic: Question for the Grammar Nazis
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Today I'm reading an announcement from my professor:
quote:
Twelve persons attended the first face to face class, the other people should feel free to join us on line.
Is persons actually a gramatically correct plural of person?

If so, what is the difference between persons and people?

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
"Twelve persons attended the first face to face class, the other people should feel free to join us on line."

Don't know about "persons" but I do suspect that it should be "face-to-face" and also that the comma after "class" must be a semicolon instead...

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Persons is legit; however, if he's going to use it in the first clause, he should also use it in the second.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
If a grammar Communist can butt in on the discussion, I'd like to suggest that possibly the plural of 'person' is 'personae'? But I admit that would be vastly formal. 'People' is undoubtedly better than 'persons,' though.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Godwin's Law! Godwin's Law!

Sorry, reflex.

Please resume your discussion. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Off the top of my head, "personae" refers to "persona," which is different than "person."

I always think of "persons" as a more politically correct way of saying "people," as in "persons of Asian descent."

And phanto is right--that comma should be a semicolon.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the correct usage is "persons" for referring to multiple individuals and "people" for referring to the group of individuals as a unit. Subtle and not always clear-cut.

quote:
Many persons wandered about and picked up pamphlets.

The people gave him a standing ovation.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless, the sentence construction sucks - yuck.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Among the niceties and other changing rules of grammar at The Grammar Logs:

quote:
Generally, "people" is the plural of "person." "Peoples" can refer to a group or groups of culturally defined groups, as in the "peoples of eastern Europe." The choice between "people" and "persons" is not always easy, though. There used to be a rule that persons is used when speaking of a number of people who can be counted and people is used when speaking of a large or uncounted number of individuals.
quote:

-There are fifteen persons on this committee but three hundred million people in the United States.
-We can put twelve persons in each lifeboat.
-How many people visit this mall every year?

According to Burchfield, however, the plural form persons is slowly retreating, and people is now widely used in whatever circumstance we need the plural of person.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If a grammar Communist can butt in on the discussion, I'd like to suggest that possibly the plural of 'person' is 'personae'?
Wouldn't it be comrade? Or personinsky?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe AP style doesn't allow the word "persons" and insists on "people" instead.

I know my news editor would have a cow if we used "persons" in a story. [No No]

On the other hand, she uses "and I" incorrectly when she should say "and me" and that drives me a little nuts. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherdess
Member # 6115

- posted      Profile for Shepherdess   Email Shepherdess         Edit/Delete Post 
According to my dictionary, I don't see a plural form for the word "person" at all.

In addition, there should be either a semicolon or a conjunction ("and" or "but") after the comma since it's a run-on sentence as written.

Posts: 107 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I see "persons" in my dictionaries (Merriam-Webster online, American Heritage unabridged), but it is noted that this usage is being replaced by "people" (language evolves). Your dictionary might be abridged to the point that it does not contain many words, although this may be entirely appropriate for its intended use.

And as CaySedai notes, the AP Stylebook 2004 recommends "people" instead of "persons" except in quotes or titles such as The Bureau of Missing Persons.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.