FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 9/11 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 9/11
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you all should remember that 9/11 is my birthday, instead of dwelling on death.

It really angered me that world tragedy should occur on my birthday. And it brought up all sorts of thoughts about life and death and God and all. What kind of fortune is it to be born on a day that will now forever be known as a sad national holday?

But life goes on. And that's the important thing. We don't stop living and loving just because bad things happen.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Appeasement would bring even more terror. At least until we were under Sharia law, which is the goal. They will Progressively demand more and more each time we give in. They'll move the bar back.

When Hezbulla demanded Israel leave Lebanon and Israel did, Hezbulla did not stop fighting as they promised. Instead, they moved the bar back. Now Israel must also surrender more land or Hezbulla will continue the fight.

Appeasement -> More Terror.

We must kill them while building democracy and prosperity amongst those who would not be terrorists. Eventually, people will say "I don't want to be a terrorist. I want to live."

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny, a friend of mine in HS was born on December 7th. It can't be fun to be born on an infamous date.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why?
Tom:

If you must know, I lost both my Uncle and my Father on that day. They were both great men in my eyes and I looked up to them. So I will make sure that my family remembers who they were. I don't like talking about them very much so I won't post on anymore 9/11 threads.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"So I will make sure that my family remembers who they were."

It seems to me -- and you're certainly welcome to disagree, if you'd like -- that making sure your family remembers who these two good men were is something completely distinct and unaffiliated with commemmorating the date of their deaths.

I'm sorry for your loss, by the way. I would not expect that you, as someone directly affected by the tragedy, would forget in the same way, and would hope you understand that I'm not suggesting you should. I DO think, however, that at some point the wound will have to become less raw.

[ September 12, 2004, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To bargin, capitulate, attept to see it their way...
There is a world of difference between each of these three things, and frankly the third is NECESSARY, even if you're going to try to kill every last one of them, because you have to try to understand your enemies.

[ September 12, 2004, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, Jenny. [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo, good point. [Smile]

[Party]

(I've never used that one before.)

Right. Plane to catch and all that.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you believe it is a GOOD thing to mourn a loss -- especially one that didn't directly affect you -- forever?
I think for me to remember 9/11 for the remainder of my days is good. I will probably talk to my children about it too. I think we learn wisdom from things like this as we do with many aspects of history. But, if my children and I have to suffer from through far more horrible things, I'm sure remembering 9/11 will not be as important because it would pale in comparison.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Scottheadism?

Che cos'e?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I was totally digging your post, dude.

I was one with the Scottness. [Cool]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
:in lotus position:

Rock on.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.