FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Three Things about You and Me (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Three Things about You and Me
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no longer an outgoing person online. I used to have a dozen or more online friends at once--mostly during my college years. Then we all moved on and started our lives. I hear from some of them once in a while, but mostly not.

So, I come to forums. I started out on a Buffy forum, since I'm a big fan. Now the shows are over, though, and I don't have much more to say about them. I'll still visit, however. I had visited the hatrack site for almost as long as I've been on the Internet--or at least it feels that way. But I never ventured into the forums until a few months ago. I finally decided to get an account because I wanted to view and participate in the discussions about Card's articles. I figured that some of them would certainly raise some hackles. I was right.

So, that is why I came here. But I still typically only post about "topics." I generally don't get involved in the "friendly" topics. After all, I'm pretty new and I know how close-knit groups can be.

Nevertheless, I think it would be nice to get to know others here, so I thought a new kind of introductions thread would be nice.

Anyone--newbies and regulars alike--can post in this thread to introduce themselves to the new people like me, but also to share a little extra with those people who already know you.

It's important that the regulars participate, but I understand that some regulars have problems with newbies. I won't bother to suppose the reasoning, I'm sure some of it is valid... so if you don't want to participate and are offended by the very idea, try your best to ignore the thread, please. [Smile]

So, I propose that anyone who wants to share 3 things about themselves here. No need to get extra personal. [Smile] For you regulars, perhaps you can think of 3 things most people here don't know. After sharing, feel free to commence general conversation. If your three things sparks conversation, even better. [Smile]

This is my attempt to become more social online. We shall see what becomes of it. [Smile]

Three Things About Me

1. I married my husband approximately 2 weeks after meeting him. This month we celebrate our 1-year anniversary. [Smile] [Smile]

2. I'm an English graduate student, but I'm not always happy with having chosen English. I would like to do something else--just not sure exactly what.

3. I taught high school for 2 years. It is not something I wish to do again, but might if money matters force the issue.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
1.I play the String Bass

2.I am a senior in high school

3.I have a lot of drive to do something with my life, but I can't figure out what

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
1) I think this thread is a great idea. [Smile]

2) I have three kids, ages almost-5 to 10.

3) I teach high school science, and on good days, I enjoy it.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Allegra,
A little advice... please don't fall into a career. Take a couple of years in college to really examine your options--take electives you think would be interesting and see what is available!!

I fell into teaching. If I had waited a little while or hadn't thought some careers were too far out of my reach, I could have ended up as an archeologist... or a linguist... or a photographer.. or anything. All of those things appeal to me. Maybe even an oceanographer. Who knows!

Of course, I wouldn't want to steer anyone away from teaching, but you have to make sure you have a CALLING.... a desire... to do it.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

rivka, Thanks. [Smile] I'm glad you enjoy teaching. Sometimes I enjoyed it, too--but not enough. I just don't think it was right for me. I don't know, though. Sometimes I think that if I had been a little more organized... if I could have handled the problems better, I would have liked it more.

I'm considering changing to another degree--I just don't know what or how. [Smile]

-Katarain

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I like to talk about myself

2. I aspire to be the artist that breaks us out of postmodernism, but don't see myself doing it with any of the silly styles and theories I have now.

3. I like food so much that I talk about it at least once a day. I cook a lot and I eat out too often and if I eat something I like, I'll tell people about it for months.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
1) I Love Annie

We need three things you say? [Wall Bash]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ September 13, 2004, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello
I am obessed with music. Totally, absolutely, utterly in love and obessed with it.

I want to be a writer, to finish learning Japanese and German and I want to learn to sing and play an instrument.

I am single and rather tired of being single... especially since I am getting old! [Eek!]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Thanks for the advice. I need all of it I can get.

I am trying out music, but I don't know if it is what I want. I am planning on taking a career exploration course in college to help me weigh my other options.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Annie,

Wonderful about #2! PLEASE do it SOON! Postmodernism is so frustrating. They make it impossible to argue against it. If you disagree, then you're just a product of the system they're talking about.

-Katarain

P.S. I feel like I'm posting too much, but I have responses to everything!! [Smile]

Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
1. I'm wearing orange pants.
2. I like Panda Express.
3. I have not blown up the moon. Yet.

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yuck. I don't even know what postmodernism is completely
Someone said it meant that there is nothing new under the sun or something...
Whatever it is, if it means more soup cans hanging from the ceiling I am not interested...
But, My whole apartment is an abstract piece of art.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Synesthesia,
About being single, shouldn't Sara Sasse be taking care of that? [Wink] I just read some of the matchmaking thread that got bumped up. Interesting stuff. [Smile] In fact, it was part of the inspiration for THIS thread... see, I'm happily attached, but I'd still like to get to know people rather than just argue with them. [Smile]

-Katarain

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I'd be more interested in Panda Express if I actually got to eat panda there.
2. My wife is much more popular here than I am.
3. I was born a cranky old man.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Speaking of being obsessed with music...

I'm listening to Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli's "Time to Say Goodbye." It has to be one of the most beautiful songs EVER. I just wish my husband thought so. I think the opera-esqueness gets to him... [Smile]

-Katarain

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

WOOO HOO.
An excuse to talk about Dmitri Hvorostovsky again...
You have got to hear him. He has the best baritone EVER.
Oh, he is so good...

I get fixated on music alot and will want to talk about nothing but whatever music i happen to be in to at the moment...

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang. Is there anything about myself I haven't shared on this forum? [Smile]

1) I am very, very afraid of heights.

2) Despite 1), I am intensely, desperately fascinated with flying!

3) I HATE cleaning and organizing. Thus my house is usually in chaos.

Edit: MPH, are you sure about that? [Confused]

Edit2: Number 2, I mean. You were definitely born a cranky old man. [Wink]

[ September 13, 2004, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Don't know him. Don't know much about that music, in fact... I also like Josh Groban...but I got kinda tired of him.

Pearl Jam is also in my playlist. [Smile] Yellow Ledbetter right now. [Smile]

Good stuff.

-Katarain

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm pretty sure.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Call me ignorant if you must... [Smile] but...

MPH's wife is...?

If I had to guess, I'd guess Beverly, since she asked if he was sure... Maybe not?

-Katarain

beverly
Member # 6246

Yeah, we are most definitely married.

Porter (MPH) [Kiss] Me

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Aaaw:) Ya'll make me wish my hubby posted here. Alas, he's not much for the forum environment and I've only gotten him to read one OSC book so far. He's much more the IRC/Mux type guy.

Maybe someday. [Smile]

-Katarain

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I loved Pearl Jam in High school...
Now I am obessed with DIR EN GREY
And now... Hvorostovsky... what a voice. Like dark chocolate... mmm!

I too hate heights, but I want to go hang gliding.

fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
1. When I die I want my ashes to be released into space.

2. Two of my lifelong dreams are to perform at Radio City Music Hall and carry the Olympic Torch (since I will never actually be able to participate in a sport).

3. I am in love with my living room.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Katarin, one can always hope. [Smile]
Katarain
Member # 6659

fiazko,

what is it about your living room?

-Katarain

fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
It's like it was made specifically for my bachelorette pad stuff. Plus, I have been on this huge kick of mounting and framing just about anything I can get my hands on, and my latest project involved a small RotK calendar which turned out phenomenally. The room is not quite finished, but I can just sit and look and be perfectly content. When it's done, I will very likely take pictures and post them because I love it so much.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

That's cool. [Smile]

I enjoy just looking at pretty things... like I got a dozen roses "just because" from my honey the other day. I'll just burst out with "my roses are so pretty!" at odd times..

Not really the same thing, but I felt like sharing. [Smile]

-Katarain

Geomancer
Member # 6299

- posted      Profile for Geomancer   Email Geomancer         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I am in the eleventh grade and want to be a musician, historian, or perhaps a geologist.

2. My talents are playing the piano, writing sheet music and lyrics/poetry, sometimes drawing, acting, singing, and sometimes dancing.

3. If I didn't tell some people my age over the internet, they would begin to think that I am in my mid-twenties.

Posts: 40 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Ages are generally hard to guess on the internet. Not to say that you don't act like a 20 something, but most guesses about age are based more on appearance then anything.
Geomancer
Member # 6299

Yeah, but also I guess I am influenced by the people I speak with. If I am speaking with a bunch of typical people of my age I tend to be very stupid and immature. It's sort of my curse. But I try.
Posts: 40 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I defiantly act more mature with adults then people my age, and act more my age with people my age. I think it is natural.
Geomancer
Member # 6299

Yeah, it is. For the most part, I find myself more at home with older or more intelligent and mature people. Although people who are so intelligent that they have to correct everything that I say, or people so mature that they can't even take a joke, that is just irritating. They are almost more childlike than other people.
Allegra
Member # 6773

I don't think not telling jokes is a sign of maturity. It is a sign of being overly serious.
Geomancer
Member # 6299

Well, yeah. Little miswording. [Big Grin]
Allegra
Member # 6773

Since we seem to be the only ones posting on this at the moment do you want to just IM me?
Geomancer
Member # 6299

Well, good night all. It's time to start on Speaker for the Dead and head off to sleep.
Geomancer
Member # 6299

How about just IM me whenever you see me on. Probably not too much during the schoolweek, though. Goodnight. [Smile]
Geomancer
Member # 6299

X the River Styx
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
1. People here, for some reason, commonly think that I am someone other than the teenage guy that I am, such as a middle aged southern woman or a 30 year old man.

2. I play way too many video games.

3. I avoid serious threads because they scare me. Sort of.

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

They scare me a little too. I am afraid someone will totally disprove what I say.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Say what you believe and their approval doesn't matter.

Although you might have the opportunity for some invaluable introspection.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I am more afriad of saying something that is wrong factually, and being called out on it.
Katarain
Member # 6659

I do that all the time... I think...

I see it as an opportunity to make others feel good about themselves when they correct me. [Smile]

Sometimes I just do it to get a response... like Peter and Valentine do when they're first starting out on the nets. Deliberately inflammatory so they could get responses and get better. Although others are much better at THAT than me.

-Katarain

TMedina
Member # 6649

There is nothing wrong with being factually incorrect - an opportunity to learn is a valuable thing.

-Trevor

Edit: For an embarassing typo

[ September 13, 2004, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
There are those people that will bring up all of your errors in future arguments to invalidate anything you'll ever say again.

It's best to just never say anything, except for the occassional smiley.

But not too many of them, either. [Mad]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Not to scare newbies or anything
TMedina
Member # 6649

It all depends on the poster and the manner in which you are proven wrong.

If you are graceful in defeat, odds are you won't have it dredged up time and time again.

If tend to post in a cocky or arrogant fashion, you're more likely to be the victim of deflating.

It does help if you're open to the possibility of being proven wrong.

-Trevor

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not to scare newbies or anything
But they're always whining and stuff.

edit: And because I'm such a nice guy, I'll say that my sarcastic post beforehand was merely a very adept stab at humor (it made me chuckle while posting it, therefore it was adept) and not intended to be taken as a valid suggestion or "tip" at all.

[ September 13, 2004, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

ummmmm..... certain people haven't shared their 3 things!! *best teacher scolding face*

Now now! Play by the rules, kiddies. [No No] [No No]

(My teacher face was always good.)

-Katarain

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.