FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Three Things about You and Me (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Three Things about You and Me
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
That was my 100th post!!

Woo Woo! [Smile]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I look killer in a bodice.

I think I'll wear my ren faire outfit to work tomorrow.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Gay 27 year old... single... stunningly handsome... intelligent [Wink]

2) Musician and actor... sing First Tenor.

3) Tolkien nut... erm.. scholar. [Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, the bank you work in must have a very different dress code than the one I bank at!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
1) I'm Jewish (and not religious orthodox, contrary to what people think, since I'm prone to wearing long skirts all the time, but there's no connection between the two).

2) I was born in Jerusalem, but haven't lived here since last month, when I came for a year to study at the Hebrew U.

3) I love to sing, I sing in various choirs, take private voice lessons, perform in as many shows as I can find to take part in, and am looking to possibly go to a music school next year when I go to college.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
1) I was named 'Most Fearsome New Villain' in Devils, Demons, and Demagogues, 2005

2) I have almost completed construction on the Implacable Engine of Ultimate Destruction. Califonians, beware!

3) My daughter, Junebug, started first grade last week!

[ September 13, 2004, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
1) I used to wear the Billy Bob suit at a Birmingham, Alababama, Chuck-E-Cheese.

2) My house has been decorated with a really cool piece of cat furniture that's almost as tall as I am.

3) I prefer mustard on my fries. [Smile]

(Hi, Katarain! [Wave] )

[ September 13, 2004, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I can become mediocre at anything I set my mind to.

2. I started working at fourteen so that I could buy food. My first job was a pin-setter at the German Country Club in Savannah, GA.

3. I torture myself by staring at the dog adoption websites (ie Humane Society) and wondering which will be the next to be put to sleep. I torture my husband by begging him to let us save just one.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
2. Two of my lifelong dreams are to perform at Radio City Music Hall and carry the Olympic Torch (since I will never actually be able to participate in a sport).
I didn't know this about you, fiazko! Perform WHAT at radio city music hall? Do you play an instrument or sing?

Farmgirl
(still thinking of what 3 things she wants to use)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... let's see...

1) Although I'm Brazilian and live in sunny Rio de Janeiro, I don't go much to the beach, and people call me "Casper, the friendly ghost", sometimes.

2) If I don't tell my age (28) and profession (Teacher), people sometimes think I'm a teenager, when I go online.

3) I love very diverse musical styles: Loreena Mckennitt, Enya, Blackmore's Night, Bossa Nova (Tom Jobim, João Gilberto), Heavy Metal (Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Nightwish, TEN...)

Well...that's it, for now.
Hey, I thought this thread was a great Idea! It's nice to know more about fellow hatrackers!

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott: [Taunt]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1. I can become mediocre at anything I set my mind to.
Hey! Me too! And actually one of my life's goals is to open the Museum of Mediocre Art.

Ack! That's postmodern too!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I was serious about that, Annie. My years of being the best at anything apparently ended in middle school.

I can now speak a little bit of Spanish and Japanese, but would be utterly lost in a country with either as their national language. I can sort of sew something that I could probably wear if I really had to, but I can never, ever wash it. Most of the diapers I throw end up in the trash can, but some end up behind the computer desk. I make one or two really tasty things and burn everything else. I can play enough guitar to keep a rhythm up, but I am not good enough to hold my own. I can change my own flats and fluids, but I wouldn't have a clue what to do if my car had an electrical problem. Oh, and with a couple of days of practice I could probably paint a picture that would kinda essentially look like whatever I was painting.

I'm mediocre at almost everything.

[ September 13, 2004, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delicate flower
Member # 6260

- posted      Profile for delicate flower   Email delicate flower         Edit/Delete Post 
1. In the beginning of July I moved from the small Western/Upstate New York town where I spent most of my life to Long Island for my job. I’ve spent most of the summer wondering if I was crazy to do it.
2. None of my family or friends are willing to buy books for me for Christmas and/or birthdays unless I give them a very specific list. They say it’s too hard to know what I’ve already bought for myself. I can understand were they are coming from, even I have a hard time remember what books I already have, but it’s not as special to get a gift certificate or a book as a present if I’ve specifically asked for it by name. I like gifts that show someone stood in a store and thought, “I’d bet Rachel would like that.”
3. At least half of the people I think of when I refer to “my family” are not related to me by blood or marriage.

Also, I have a theory that America love mediocrity, hence the popularity of Kenau Reeves and Kevin Costner. So, PSI, you are in the right place.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I have dreams of being a singer/songwriter, but am finding the songwriting more difficult then I first thought.

2. I'm 21, but could easily pass for 16 or 17. Not on the internet.

3. My odd pet peeve is extension chords. No matter how I roll them up they always get tangled up when I unroll them.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin Costner hasn't been popular for about a decade.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to learn more Japanese. I feel like a novice at everything, a master of nothing.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
3. At least half of the people I think of when I refer to “my family” are not related to me by blood or marriage.
Ditto.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delicate flower
Member # 6260

- posted      Profile for delicate flower   Email delicate flower         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kevin Costner hasn't been popular for about a decade.
And thank God for it.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I'm trying not to groan at being compared to those two. [Big Grin]
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I have been a full time skateboarder for more than 10 years. Full time meaning, almost every day I'll grab my board and go skating, and on the weekends I'll usually skate the whole day.

2. After getting an associates degree and working full time at a 'professional' office, I plan to quit at the end of the year so that I can go back to school full-time (not sure what I want to study yet). I guess I'll be a sophomore at age 23.

3. I dated a girl for 4 years, and now that we have been broken up for about a year and a half, I think I am finally able to move on...

Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I want to know why you didn't like teaching, 'cause I'll be doing my student teaching next semester in English. I'm simultaneously excited because I think I will be good at it and will really enjoy it, and terrified that I will hate it and find myself unqualified for anything else after five years of school.

2. I'm married to the late, great Jon Boy, who is currently taking a sabbatical from Hatrack but has his own forum. We met because of Hatrack.

3. I'm struggling to write an epic fantasy novel.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the last thing I would want to do is turn someone away from teaching. We need teachers. We need good teachers. And there is not enough support for teachers. It's shameful, really.

Whether or not you'll like teaching has a lot to do with your attitude and your drive for the job. I had a bad first year--I was virtually supportless. I had a mentor, another teacher, who was too busy to care... policies that were never explained to me (I missed orientation because I was out of state, and even though I asked, no one thought to tell me what I needed to know)... and poorly behaved students.

That last one was pretty much my fault, though. I didn't know how I should start the year. That's one of the problems with most education systems--they don't teach you enough about classroom management, and when they try, usually the teachers teaching it haven't been in the high school classroom in years--if ever!

There are a lot of problems with the system.

This doesn't, however, mean that you aren't meant to teach! A LOT of teachers thrive in the environment! It means a lot to them to guide students... to teach them... to make a difference for just one student. Even I did that a little. I did care about the students (most of them). There were days I absolutely loved... I felt they were actually getting it. But I didn't have enough of those days. With practice, I got better. My second year was much better than my first, and I'm sure my third would have been even better--but by the end of my second year I already knew it wasn't for me. I knew I COULD excel, but I didn't want to. I didn't want to end up 10 years down the road still a teacher.. still in the same place. (Although I have considered college professor... totally different ballgame.)

This is just a summary... despite its length. I'm typing quickly because I need to go pick up my husband... more later.. if I think of anything... [Smile]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
my father says I should be a teacher.
But I am too shy.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I am a book whore.

2. I'm at a really weird place in my life where I can't decide what I want to do.

3. My dog is one of my best friends.

space opera

[ September 13, 2004, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Space Opera ]

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, learning lots of new things about people today.

1. I had my first day of teacher training today - observing in a primary school, though I'm actually training to teach Religious Studies at secondary level. *deep breath* I think I can do this...

2. I was born in London to Tanzanian Asian parents (who both spent their younger days in Dar Es Salaam but met and married here) and have lived in London all my life but for a four-year spell at university in Oxford. My parents, however, moved to Uganda when I was eleven and still live there. Thus the answer to "where are you from?" is a tricky one... especially as I don't look Indian.

3. I cannot walk into a bookshop without buying a book. I also can't walk into a lending library without taking a book out.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I can't go into library without taking out books either!
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't walk into a library without taking out a couple other thugs.

Yo.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delicate flower
Member # 6260

quote:
I cannot walk into a bookshop without buying a book.
I love the word "bookshop" I would much rather buy something at a "shop" than a "store". I think I'll start using that term more.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
1. My last name has no 'w'.
2. I have two cats. One named Puff, the other Skittles.
3. Despite any green fruit that may say to the contrary, Dr. Pepper is not disgusting.

And because 3 really wasn't about myself, I'll do a 4th.

4. I...um...don't think Dr. Pepper is disgusting.

[ September 13, 2004, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WishfulWiggin
Member # 6823

- posted      Profile for WishfulWiggin   Email WishfulWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
this is fun!

1) I am in my second year of college in Ithaca, NY, majoring in Mechanical Engineering.

2)I enjoy the martial arts, I am a black belt in Tae Kwon Do.

3) I am the oldest of three in my family, just 2 and a half minutes older then my twin brother.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
1)I am an amateur chocolatier. I make truffles, tortes, peanut butter eggs, turtles, coconut haystacks... I am willing to try my hand at anything chocolate.

2)I love Ren Faires and Filk.

3)I am very crunchy (ie; organic all natural type).

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
1) I'm hot

2) All men want me and Ralphie wants to kill me

3) I'm deadly afraid of insects and water

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

uh.. doesn't that fear of water make Smigus Dyngus a little difficult for you, Kama? [Wink]

Wish I had known about that fear of insects -- I could have had a lot of fun with that knowledge back at KamaCon....... [Evil Laugh]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
The worst possible day. I remember, maybe three years ago, i got so mad at this kid who was trying to get me wet, I started chasing him all over the place. Plus, it was on my way to church, cause I still went to church at the time. Needless to say, I didn't get there that day.

[Mad]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delicate flower
Member # 6260

quote:
I am in my second year of college in Ithaca, NY, majoring in Mechanical Engineering
Is that Ithaca College or Cornell? I went to SUNY Binghamton, which was basically filled with people who couldn't get into and/or afford Ithaca and Cornell. So, I'm filled with envy.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

(I'm trying to think of the most obscure facts about me that most don't know yet)....

1) I used to play in a jazz band in high school (keyboard)

2) I have a tattoo (and no one asked to see it at KamaCon!)

3) I once took belly dance lessons....

Farmgirl [Big Grin]

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I am a citizen of both the U.S. and Cuba (even thoguh i don't speak spanish fluently)
2. I lived in Japan for two years when I was seven and eight.
3. When I was eleven, my uncle and I succesfully built our own computer out of spare parts. I still use it today, althoguh I have to upgrade it all the time.

[ September 13, 2004, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
3) I once took belly dance lessons....
Oooo... sounds like fun! [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
1. I'm a grad student in music theory at IU...in fact, I'm almost done with my coursework!

2. I am, for the most part, a lurker. I will probably always be a lurker to some extent.

3. I'm originally from Atlanta, Georgia.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delicate flower
Member # 6260

quote:
3) I once took belly dance lessons...
My sister-in-law takes belly dancing lessons. She loves it. She used to be this impossibly thin women, but she wasn’t able to lose all the weight after her kids were born, so now she has a bit of a belly. She says, “I like to eat, so I won’t diet, I hate to sweat , so I won’t go to the gym. So I take belly dancing lesson so I can learn to love my body.”

I love this attitude. And my brother likes the belly dancing, but I don’t like to think about that.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

What's the tattoo of?
I want a tattoo... but first, I got to publish.

Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Megan
What made you choose music theory?

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I ran the mile in 6 minutes in eighth grade.
2. I played ice hockey.
3. I am still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Allegra, I started college as a cello performance major, but realized after a year and a half of rather painful lessons and several total technique overhauls that I really didn't want the life of a performer after all. Ideally, I would've loved to have played chamber music all the time (string quartets, piano trios, etc.), but that's a VERY specific niche, and people who do that usually have to live by free-lancing...NOT a life I wanted for myself. It's highly unstable, and I just don't think I could handle it. Not only that, but this was about the time that it occured to me that I was doing my theory homework with FAR more enthusiasm than I was practicing (practicing, by the end of my sophomore year in college, had become a painful exercise in failure, rather than the joyful thing that it was for me in high school).

I liked the puzzling, deciphering aspect of musical analysis, and really enjoyed dissecting pieces of music. I've always loved to learn, and been a nerd of all types, and finding music theory was sort of like...finding a place where the musician and the nerd could become one. I really, really love to talk about music, and I love trying to explain what's going on and why it's going on. And, as it turns out, I'm not that bad at it. So, here I am, in another niche-specific profession, a profession that's self-perpetuating in a way that people outside of music (and some people inside of music) often don't get or won't accept. One of my older cousins-in-law, for example, after trying to figure out exactly what one does with a Ph.D. in music theory, said to me a couple Christmases ago, "So...your field...isn't really GOOD for anything, is it?" (Yeah, not the most tactful person on earth!)

Well, a Ph.D. in theory is good for becoming a professor of music theory, and that suits me just fine. Half of the job is teaching (which I truly love), and the other half is writing (with which I have a love/hate relationship...when it's flowing, it's the most wonderful thing on earth...when it's not, I just want to cry), so I'll have lots of professional activities to keep me busy. I like the academic world (well...sort of. That's something else I have a love/hate relationship with). And, if it's not the most significant occupation in the grand scheme of things (as opposed to, say, being a psychological researcher like my brother, or a K-8 science teacher like my sister), I'm ok with that.

Whew. Long-winded post. Hope it wasn't too much...but thank you for asking! [Smile]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I was happy to hear the details. I am going into college next year as a Double Bass performance major. I don't know what I want quite yet, or where it will take me. I just wanted to hear about someone else's experience to get me thinking.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1) I'm hot

2) All men want me and Ralphie wants to kill me

But if I kill you, how will I know where all the men are at?
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Allegra, I see from the A/S/L thread that you're in Bloomington. Are you coming to IU?

Also, I should say that I know plenty of happy performance majors--people who didn't have the rough experience that I did. My experience is not necessarily the norm. You should know, though, that college, especially in a university setting, is pretty intense for music majors of any stripe; they just require us to do sooo much more than most people. It's worth it, though, as long as you go into it with open eyes. [Big Grin]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie,
Use her for bait, of course.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still fairly unknown here, so my facts will hopefully be helpful. [Smile]

1. I used to post on this forum as Valentine and I also posted in Hatrack 1830s for several years but took a two year sabbatical. (Hi, Amira!)

2. I am a graduate student at Kennesaw State University in Georgia where I am studying Professional Writing (instead of doing professional writing-haha).

3. I am a developmental English instructor at a local tech school.

and

4. I'm rather small so I often get mistaken for someone my daughter's age (10). This would be cool except that I'm over 30 and have greying hair.

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.