FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The new Batman cartoon or "the Joker is a Ninja"

Author Topic: The new Batman cartoon or "the Joker is a Ninja"
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually don't see many teevee shows discussed on Hatrack, or at least not in their own thread. They are there, no doubt, but I miss them between the gay marriage, abortion, hugs, landmark and MMORPG threads! [Big Grin]

Anyway, knowing the decent sized comic book fandom on Hatrack, I wanted to get member opinions of the new The Batman show on Kids WB. I PVR'd the show and my recorder, which goes exact times (10-10:30) and not the show time (must have been 10:03-10:33) cut me off at the end. What I did see of it didn't impress me.

I am a big fan of the 90's Dini/Timm version of the show and all the follow up shows (Batman, Batman Superman, Batman Beyond, Justice League and JLU). I really didn't dig the movies in repeated viewings and I enjoy the occasional Batman trade paperback of good comic runs (all but the last Loeb series, Dark Knight Returns, Killing Joke, etc.). But this one just didn't do it for me.

What I want to know if it is just me resisting change (old one worked, why not do more of those?) or that it really lacked in storytelling, originality or...I hate to say it...reason for being. If they wanted a "young Batman" show, Batman Beyond was very good at capturing teen angst, parent/children relationships, school issues, dating issues...but still had kick butt superhero storytelling going on. This one had things just to do it. The Joker was neither scary or consistent with any comic book version. He jumped around like Nightcrawler from the X-Men, kicked like a ninja and was all rad in his straight jacket. Give me the natty, mouthy, unpredictable Joker.

I did like the more paternal Alfred, who was a little less humorous than his older version but more parental with Bruce. It was interesting to have Wayne Manor in the middle of the city. I did like that the look of Catwoman was more in tune with the comic but it remains to be seen if she will be as well drawn a character.

Just some thoughts. I know, it is only a silly cartoon but it is a well loved character to me and many and I wonder what folks thought of it, if they caught it.

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
What really gets me wondering is how they cast Christian Bale as the next batman for the upcoming movie? I still always think of him as Jack Kelly from The Newsies. lol [ROFL]

[ September 13, 2004, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
haha, actually saw Newsies again about a week ago. He was decent in Equilibrium, so I think he could probably pull off the part. We'll see though.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Will we have a decent Batman Movie at last?
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
A Hobbes version of Batman, and that's all I have to say about that. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.