FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Please, send me good, calming vibes.

Author Topic: Please, send me good, calming vibes.
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting a little (very) nervous. Today I'll give my first lecture as a Literature PHD. It'll be a big, big event, at one of the biggest Universities in Brazil, the Pontifican Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (PUC - Rio). It's a big event with professors from all over the country (some from overseas - mostly Portugal, Angola and other portuguese-speaking countries). It's one of those things that can make or break one's career. Of course, I won't be the only one talking today. There'll be many well-known professors and writers out there.
My lecture'll be about Modern and Postmodern literature and its consequences: what the westerner culture actually "gained" or "lost" by going modern and, later, postmodern. It's a tough subject, and there'll probably be some debate afterwards. I can already imagine a thousand ways how people could rip me cleanly apart.

I was told the whole affair will be aired on the Internet, but I don't know the site (yet). Well...anyway, there'll be a bunch of bookish men and women talking about literature in portuguese.

My grandmother said that even the most non-religious person feels the need of praying in a tough spot. I found it's truth. Although I know my stuff, I'm really, really nervous (I'm shaking while I type this), for crying out loud!

I gave lectures before, but never in such a big event, and never with those letters attached to my name (PHD). They weight a ton! People read them and think their owner must be a deep well of knowledge! I feel as a shallow pool!

[Angst]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
*Calming vibes. Calming vibes.*
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
~~~~~~~Eduardo~~~~~~~

I have complete and total confidence in you.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking to my first message I can say how freaked out I am. Sheesh...well, I still am freaked out. [Angst]

Anyway, off I go, guys. The battle is joined, no turning back now (I kinda wish I could). Thanks for your support.

11.5 pages...have 30 minutes, give or take some...well...hopefully it will hold.

(Such a pansy I am)

See ya later.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll be amazing, I have no doubt.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I bet a lecture on modernism and post-modernism sounds much prettier in Portuguese than in English.

You'll do great!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Eduardo! Let us know how it went.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghost of xnera
Member # 3920

- posted      Profile for ghost of xnera   Email ghost of xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Calming vibes incoming!
Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
~~~~~Eduardo~~~~~

Hope it's going great!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They weight a ton! People read them and think their owner must be a deep well of knowledge! I feel as a shallow pool!
You know, I think most everyone giving a presentation of this sort feels this way. I've chatted with several of my brightest friends before their defenses and they were quivering like leaves. In the end, thogh, I think the people who worry the most end up doing the best.

[Hat]
Hope it went well! (and congratulations for surviving -- I'm assuming there are no executions for presentations in Brazil *grin*)

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miles_per_hour
Member # 6451

- posted      Profile for miles_per_hour   Email miles_per_hour         Edit/Delete Post 
calma, calma...
Posts: 143 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Congratulations!

The first time is the hardest for anything. Think of this as the event after which the stress goes downhill.

~~~~~~~~~eduardo~~~~~~~~~~~

(I know you are doing famously, even as I post. Yay, eduardo!)

[ September 15, 2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Hello! [Wave]
I'm alive, I'm alive! [Party]
Thanks you all for your support! [Hat]

I almost chocked! [Angst]
I almost cried! [Cry]

But in the end I did it! And I'll receive a DVD with the whole thing filmed.

The public was nice to me (the room was huge, and it was almost packed!), I received some applause, there were some questions, that I mananged to answer without shaming myself...

In the end I guess it was ok. A Portuguese professor, from Coimbra University even asked for a copy of my essay!

Once again, thanks! Now...resting a bit before going to work again (groan).

Edited to add: (Still feel like a shallow pool, though)

[ September 15, 2004, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Eduardo_Sauron ]

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad it went well. (((Eduardo)))
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Eduardo! Glad it went so well.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very happy for you, Eduardo.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Funny moment:

Eduardo (at the entrance of a fancy restaurant, lunch time): "Hi, I was told the professors should come here for lunch."

Nice lady (with a stern look): "Yes, but not the students, only the professors. I guess the University is handing some snacks, though."

Eduardo (Showing his identity card): "That's my name. I'm professor Eduardo José. My name is on your list."

Nice lady (abashed, measuring me up and down in disbelief): "Are you a professor? Well...sorry . There's a table over there reserved to you"

(When I finished eating, they sent me the bill, and I had to explain again, to three different people that I was a professor and that the University was paying for my lunch. Should I grow a beard or something?)
[Dont Know]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((Eduardo Sauron ))))))

GO EDUARDO!!!!
[Group Hug]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
<<<<<<<<<<<<<Eduardo Sauron>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yay for you! I wish I had seen this earlier so I could send you the calming vibes but I know you did fantastic. Every time you start talking about literature you get all interested and excited and forget everything else and your love for it really shows, for sure. I'm sure you connected with everyone in the audience. I wish I could have heard it! Errr.... I wish I could have heard it ... and that I spoke Portuguese ... so I could have understood it too .... and ... that I had read the stuff ... you were talking about.

Hmmmm. I sort of have my work cut out for me on this whole topic, don't it? [Smile]

[ September 15, 2004, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Eduardo!!!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray! You are one of the coolest people I know, Ed. [Smile]

quote:
(When I finished eating, they sent me the bill, and I had to explain again, to three different people that I was a professor and that the University was paying for my lunch. Should I grow a beard or something?)
Either that or take up smoking a pipe [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Get glasses, dye your hair grey (and thin it out a bit) wear a suit and tie all the time, and get a very serious look. Other wise just put up with with people not believing you're a prof for a few years [Wink]

[ September 15, 2004, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
You're going to do great!
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
Eduardo--from one instructor to another--good for you! And don't worry that you look so young. Young professors are inspirations to young students and give the girls in class something to enjoy while taking notes. [Evil]

Seriously, as one of my favorite Brit-com characters often asserts---"ROCK ON!"

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.