FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This man is my hero

Author Topic: This man is my hero
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
http://jongy.tripod.com/History.html

quote:

It took almost twenty years, but on July 3, 1999 for the first time ever, a perfect score of 3,333,360 was achieved on Pac-Man by Billy Mitchell at the Funspot Family Fun Center, Weirs Beach, New Hampshire. To achieve this, Billy had to eat every single bonus prize and every possible blue ghost in all 256 levels of the game - a feat which took him over six hours to complete. Not only that but he didn't lose a single life. It was the first ever perfect game of Pac-Man.

On completing the game, Billy announced "I never have to play that darn game again". He had been playing for seventeen years. In a recent interview with videogames.com, Billy spoke about how he did it.

I understand the behavior of the ghosts and am able to manipulate the ghosts into any corner of the board I choose. This allows me to clear the screen with no patterns. This was a more difficult method for the initial 18 screens. I chose to do it this way because I wanted to demonstrate the depths of my abilities. I wanted to raise the bar higher - to a level that no one else could match.

Imagine a world in which Billy Mitchell never encountered Pac-Man. Put to good use his sharp mind, excellent hand-eye coordination, incredibly long attention span and his prodigious talent for problem-solving probably would have led the world into a utopian technological society by now. The human genome would have been mapped by the mid eighties. World poverty would have been eliminated entirely. The air and the earth would be clean. We'd be living in an age of unprecedented peace. Serbs and Kosovars would be frolicking hand in hand cracking jokes about their ethnic differences. Billy Mitchell would have a girlfriend. Instead, Billy Mitchell played Pac-Man and grew a moustache.

edit: as someonethinking i actually wrote it o.O

[ September 15, 2004, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Was he the guy on VH1's "Obsessed" last night? Big tubby guy "proclaiming the glories of Pac-Man" with a bullhorn in the parking lot?
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
What? Whatever!- That is so not the highest score he could get... is it? I mean.. if his character dies, doesn't the map refresh? if you lose all your lives is there a continue? there isn't a way to stack points?

mer.. there's something wrong wit this game..

-Jack Montague

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't dis Funspot, foo', it rules for any retrogaming geek. They have one of the best arrays of classic arcade games anywhere.

The world video game championships are help there too, I believe.

[Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know how he did. Some of the later levels had one-blink times on the power pellets. Which means it's technically possible to eat all 4 if you line them up on top of each other, and get them to cross the pellet right as you eat it.

Mistime it and you die, though. He'd have had to do this something more than 800 times, unless the power pellets last longer later in the game.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Getting all 4 ghosts 4 times per screen 256 times is (200+400+800+1600)*4*256 = 3,072,000, which leaves 261,260 points for bonus objects and dots.

Does every level after the key level have the same bonus value (5,000)? If so, then the total in the article isn't correct.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
In general, I salute anyone who climbs a personal mountain, but I have to admit that I kind of agree with the last paragraph. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Go D-Agony! - I don't like this Billy person.. tear him to shreds!

-Jack Montague

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
DIeS LauGhIng!!!!!!!!
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
A bit of my vast respect and admiration for Dag is forever gone. [Frown]
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
zgator, that made me laugh out loud. Thanks. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Just 'cause I'm good at math? [Frown]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
No, because you bothered...lol...

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[Taunt]
Zan
Member # 4888

- posted      Profile for Zan   Email Zan         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing better than making a pretty girl laugh is making a one-yr old laugh. I can do that one too.

Sorry it was at your expense, Dag. Well, actually I'm not Mr. Know-too-much-about-PacMan-geek. [Razz]

Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.