FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Valdosta, Georgia (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Valdosta, Georgia
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone live near/in Valdosta? I am probably going to school there next year and it would be nice to know some people nearby.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you coming from, Allegra?

There are several Georgia 'Rackers, but I don't know of any specifically in the Valdosta area.

Olivetta and Jess N. are the two that leap to mind, besides myself, of course.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Bloomington, Indiana. I didn't think there would be many, if any but I thought I would try. Where do you live in Georgia?
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ophelia and Ben also live in georgia, but I'm not sure where (same place). When I read the thread title I was going to say that one of my friends was thinking of going there for college, duh.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
The Olivia, Ben and Ophelia are all north of Atlanta.

Valdosta is practically in Florida.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Valdosta is a funny word.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

A friend of mine, Megan (the same one who posts here from time to time) moved from Georgia to Indiana.

I'm in Atlanta - the social hub of the South. [Big Grin]

It'll be an interesting cultural shift, but Megan could probably give you a better primer on what to expect.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Yeah Megan is actually in Bloomington and we both spend a lot of time at the music school. Thanks for the suggestion, I might make a point of meeting her for coffee.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Valdosta puts you in fairly easy driving distance of Atlanta, Tallahassee, and Alabama 'rackers.

Are you going to the art college there?

[ September 15, 2004, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

No, I am going to study music, specifically double bass. There is a great teacher there. I would love to meet hatrackers from all of the surounding areas when I am there, but I won't have a car so they would have to come to me.
TMedina
Member # 6649

If I'm still around, you can add me to the list.

-Trevor

Allegra
Member # 6773

I think it would be cool to meet you Trevor. Your posts always amuse me.
TMedina
Member # 6649

I'm not nearly as funny in person.

Although, funny-looking has been mentioned from time to time. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to live in Atlanta, but now I go to college in KY. I have friends who go to school in Valdosta? Sadly none of them are on here. V-town is a nice place, if a little boring at times... If you do go there, I hope you have fun and do well.

~~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping perhaps Valdosta was in a reasonable driving distance from me, but alas, tis over 6 hours away....although that still makes you one of the closest hatrackers to me, other than the ones in atlanta, which is only 3 hours or so.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Allegra, I'd be happy to meet you for coffee! Drop me an email and let me know when. I actually spent a summer in Valdosta for the Governor's Honors Program when I was in high school.

Oh, and Trevor is actually just as funny in person as he is on here. [Big Grin] But I will take credit for introducing him to the site. [Hat]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Not everyone would think that a good thing, Megan. [Big Grin]

But once Allegra moves south, she can become a HatCracker. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just continually amused when I compare your post count to my post count. [Wink] I'm lurking less, but you're almost up to 2000!
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

HatCracker?
TMedina
Member # 6649

Heh.

Megan often refers to Hatrack as a little addiction, specifically HatCrack.

Put a Southern spin on it and we've become HatCrackers. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Allegra
Member # 6773

Hatrack, an addiction? never.

[ September 15, 2004, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Allegra ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

Heh.

-Trevor

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Actually, I think HatCracker would be a great name for some of us Southern Hatrackers. [Smile] [Wink]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

It just reminds me of Uncle Cracker which is not a good connection.
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
I live NW of Atlanta. Valdosta is a long way from here (I would guess about 4-6 hours drive). Mac is right, it's almost to FL.

I had a high school classmate that went to Valdosta for music. That was 2~ odd years ago (I suddenly feel old). They have a great program there. I just love ATL better.

Best wishes from another Hat Cracker!

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

The phrase "Cracker" has a distinctly Southern connotation, although typically applied to poor whites. Also known as rednecks.

Hence my attempt at Southern-based humor. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Jesse--

heh, heh.

[ September 15, 2004, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

Oh god, I didn't mean to start a trend, just a funny. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Allegra
Member # 6773

Do you know how they liked the program?
Jess N
Member # 6744

Being a born and bred Georgian,cracker is actually more acceptable than redneck any day of the week.

Crackers may be poor, but rednecks are pure pitiful.

[Razz]

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

In Bloomington there are people who are from out in the country, that brag about being a redneck. They have their john deer stuff, and their truck parked in the right part of the parking lot, and they must be cool.
TMedina
Member # 6649

There may be cultural variations on the nuances of either term.

-Trevor

Jess N
Member # 6744

Very true. Allegra: No, I don't know how they liked the program. I wish I knew. I've heard positive things about it from others, however. But only in a generalized kind of "gee they have a great music program" comments.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Cracker in Florida sometimes equals rural native Floridian.

I agree with Jesse that Cracker > Redneck. If someone calls themselves a cracker, this normally means that they are educated enough to know what it means and where the term comes from, since the term has very much dropped from use, which of course makes that person better than uneducated people, ie rednecks. [Wink]

Jess N
Member # 6744

It's obvious that Storm also knows the cultural basis of cracker. Cool. Allegra, in parts of Georgia (I cannot speak for all of GA), redneck indicates, as Storm so smartly pointed out, uneducated and, well, somewhat odd. [Smile]

I recommend you become familiar with Jeff Foxworthy. He can explain the idea of redneck better than anyone I know. I laugh at his humor because I recognize the people he talks about.

All of this being said, I love being from the South. It is a magical place.

Allegra
Member # 6773

To be honest I am a bit scared of the South. I don't go to the South often, but when I do I feel really out of place.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

What we have here...is a fail-ya....to communicate.
Allegra
Member # 6773

Trevor, AJ and I have been trying to figure out how old you are. Would you like to tell us so we can see which one of us is right?
TMedina
Member # 6649

Allegra - it's really not as bad as we've led you to believe.

I swear, you will never hear dueling banjos. Well, maybe once. Twice, tops. [Big Grin]

Megan will give you a good idea of the kind of sane, normal people that are frequently the norm for Georgia.

Valdosta is a smallish place, if memory serves. I haven't been down there in forever.

-Trevor

TMedina
Member # 6649

Heh. I'm a very immature 30.

-Trevor

Allegra
Member # 6773

It isn't so much what you guys have said. It is just that things are different and I don't really know how I would like it.

We both guessed that you were younger. Not that you seem immature, you just seem youthful. A good thing to maintain.

TMedina
Member # 6649

Yep, bad jokes will make anyone seem much younger. And holding your breath until you pass out - that works well too. [Big Grin]

As for the difference - Megan can shed more insight on that, but I've found differences can be more interesting than similarities, if you're willing to be curious. Not that I am. Ever. [Razz]

Valdosta is smaller than Bloomington and certainly less developed, but I'm told it can be quite cozy. And Florida is a stone's throw thataway.

-Trevor

Allegra
Member # 6773

I heard that it is actually bigger than Bloomington. I kind of hope so but I will take what I can get.

[ September 16, 2004, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Allegra ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

I better stop giving advice about Valdosta then - my memory is sketchy at best.

But, on the bright side, there are Georgia Rackers around if you need company or have questions. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Allegra
Member # 6773

That is what I was hoping for. [Smile]
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I am now an Atlantan. Just avoid redneck jokes.

Hey Trevor, do you have a relative about 15 years old named Katie?

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

15 years old, named Katie?

No, sorry - doesn't ring any bells.

-Trevor

Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but rednecks are pure pitiful.
Don't you mean, "rednecks are sorry"?
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

Uh...yes...rednecks are sorry. They also make it hard for Crackers to get any respect. Non-southerners often can't understand the difference.

Guess it's a Southern thing, y'all.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Allegra, see you if you can get your folks to buy you a season pass to Wild Adventures. It's the theme park there in Valdosta. They do live music on the weekends as well as the rides and animals. It's sort of a poor man's Busch Gardens.

And for the record, you're only about an hour from Tallahassee, making me the closest Hatracker. So there.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.