FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bums of Savannah: A Field Guide

Author Topic: Bums of Savannah: A Field Guide
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Savannah Georgia has a quite entertaining cast of characters living throughout it. And contrary to popular belief, a majority of the homeless in Savannah have wonderful personalities, and are people you actually want to get to know. They're fun, they're quirky, they make Savannah more fun. They contribute to the town in a way very few can. So if you're ever visiting Savannah and see any of these fellow, toss them a smile, or some change, or strike up a conversation. You'll be glad you knew them.

Subject #1:

UKELELE GUY: Known to hang around the In-and-out auto detailing (which has a hand-painted sign on the fence that reads, "Please!!! No DRUGS!"), right around the corner from the Shabazz. Carries around a small ukelele from which he gets his name. He goes to town on that Ukelele, jamming like there's no tomorrow. Unfortunately, there are also no strings on the Ukelele, so the mind-bending music is, well, all in his mind. If sighted, he's known to send a peace sign your way.
Also known as "Ukes", for short.

ADDITIONAL NOTES: This guy's my favorite.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Subject #2:

DIRTY JOKE GUY: Hangs out around the Enmark gas station on MLK Blvd. Speaks only in rhyme, and identifies himself by saying, "Call me Sammy, 'cause I'm from Alabammy. But don't call me Sam, 'cause I don't give a damn." If you give him a quarter, he'll tell you a dirty joke. a rhyming dirty joke. And it's usually pretty damn funny too. Wildly inappropriate, sure, but hey: we don't call him Dirty Joke Guy for nothin'.

ADDITIONAL NOTES: Not for the Prude at Heart.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I love ukelele guy. He should meet Jerry Spinelli's "Star Girl."
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh lord, Taalcon, that sounds like Bob Scopatz gone bad! DKW, never leave Bob! This is what he might become!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
*burp

[Wink]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Subject #3

SHAKES: AKA, The Molecule Man. He's one of the first characters you'll come to recognize, if only for the fact that he's EVERYWHERE. He walks all around town, with his one hand continually up by his face in a shaking motion, as he talks to himself. There've been many legends and myths surrounding this guy, one of which is what came to his 'Molecule Man' name. They say he used to be a genius physisist who, suffering a mental breakdown, now spends the rest of his life with the goal to count every molecule he encounters. And that is what he does day in and day out...counting molecules. It may be why he is never found at the same place - he's already counted those ones.

DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
When I lived in West Palm Beach (almost 20 years ago), there were a bunch of homeless guys who were our daily reality check.

That man who greeted the sun every morning, and continued talking to himself all day, was the object of much ridicule. Personally, I think he was probably talking to the most interesting person in town.

My favorite homeless guy, who was one of the ones living under the Royal Palm Bridge, was totally cool. One Easter morning, as my husband and I were walking from where we'd parked the dinghy to where we'd parked the car, we were passed by a very well-dressed family on its way to church. They literally pretended we weren't there, because we weren't dressed in our finest. Then we passed the homeless guy. He smiled, wished us a wonderful Easter and God's Blessing.

$0.02
Lisa

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
Lexington has Henry Earl.
Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Subject #4

Stop The Lie Guy: This guy always carries around a sign that says, on one side, "STOP THE EVIL EMPIRE!", and on the other side says, "STOP THE LIE!" - many have asked him what the said "Lie" and "Evil Empire" are, and every response has been different. There have been several documentaries prepared by film students of the Savannah College of Art & Design on this guy - and each have been very, very different. Some say he's a drugged out anti-government hippy. Some say he's a Street Preacher out to stop the Lie that Jesus isn't your Saviour.

MY PET THEORY: The year I came into SCAD, the president of the college, President Rowan, had a nasty divorce, and his wife, Paula Wallace, ended up getting control of the college, and becoming the President. I think this guy's the now homeless ex-president Rowan, and that the new SCAD under his wife's control is the Evil Empire he's out to stop... [Angst]

dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen Stop The Lie Guy! My husband and I discovered how much we love Savannah when we were on our honeymoon on Tybee Island. We try to go back every year for a few days at least. It's a gorgeous town and the food is spectacular! We went for St. Patrick's Day this year and didn't like it as much as when there isn't anything special going on in town. It's more fun when you have it all to your self! [Big Grin]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
This is SO....

....cooooool.

And it's making me homesick. [Frown]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I met Molecule Man in the Philippines. I met a lot of crazies there, but there was this one guy who always looked like he was "counting air molecules". They say he used to be a brilliant man, then one day he just snapped.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"They say he used to be a brilliant man, then one day he just snapped."

Oh, heavens. This is getting worse and worse. Hatrack is full of ultra-smarties who could end up in this situation. Perhaps we should start some kind of a fund?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.