FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Baked Potatoes

Author Topic: Baked Potatoes
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you eat yours?

I cut the potato in half and cut deep, narrow slits both directions across each half. I fill them with sour cream, butter, and A1, and then I stick it back in the foil for ten minutes. This lets the stuff melt and softens the potatoe. Then I crack it open and sprinkle it with chives, bacon, and cheese.

You?

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually with a fork or a spoon. If opportunity presents itself, a spork.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Scrub the potato.

Stick a knife through the potato, making an inch-long cut on either side

Stick in microwave for five to eight minutes, checking periodically for puffiness of potato

When suitably puffy and the potato is soft and yielding to the touch, remove from microwave.

Create an incision along the dorsal angle of the potato, running the full length of the subject and pinch the ends, forcing them to the middle and baring the innards of said potato

Apply butter and mash innards until butter is melted and the potato contents take on a golden hue.

Consume with great enjoyment

Apply more butter to the remnants; collapse skin upon itself to smear butter throught skin.

Eat skin with great enjoyment

Such is the way of eating these things

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't <sniff> have baked potatoes anymore <sniff> stupid diet <sniffsniff>

For me, the best part of a baked potato was always the toppings. Buttered and salted then lots of shredded cheddar and crumbled bacon was my absolute favorite, but recently I'd started doing a Denver potato - ham, onion, green pepper and cheddar.

Now I'm restricted from starchy vegetables at all so I guess I'll just live vicariously through everyone else's potato posts...

Goody

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Baked potatoes are to be eaten with about six of those little packets of sour cream, or at a ratio of 2 parts potato to 1 part sour cream.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skeptic
Member # 5273

- posted      Profile for skeptic   Email skeptic         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to put mine on a cutting board before they are baked, then make cuts the length of the spud, and horizontally. Spray pam on a cookie sheet, and move the potato pieces to the cookie sheet. Turn the oven to broil, and place the cookie sheet on the next-to-top shelf. Flip the potato pieces every 30 seconds until golden brown on each side. Then dip in ketsup. That's how I like to eat baked potatoes [Wink]

BTW, I've seen Yozhik eat baked potatoes, and she has obviously gotten her ratio backward--it's more like 1 part potato to 2 parts sour cream. [Kiss]

[ September 18, 2004, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: skeptic ]

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Cut the potato in half lengthwise. With a fork, disconneect the interior from the skin. Butter this generously, and mash with the fork. Salt and pepper generously. Eat the inside, then generously butter and salt the skin, but leave out the pepper.

The potato must always be eaten first in any meal, no matter what form it takes, as a fry, mashed, scalloped, whatever.

This is the first law of the universe.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
There is are great instructions in Here at America's Test Kitchen for twice baked potatoes. My daughter loves this recipe.

Something I learned from this recipe is to rub the potatoes down with olive oil. It makes the skins crispy and tastes great.

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
With olive oil you say? Hmm...must try that.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
HRE -- that sounds like it would just take forever. If I already have butter and stuff on it, there ain't no way you're going to get me to re-wrap it and let it set for ten minutes. It's going into my mouth.....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Sour cream and bacon.
Chives if I can get them

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
heart... clogging... up....

Actually, my favorite back when I was a freakishly-high-metabolism-kinda-kid, was baked potato soup. I think this is more common in the south than in New England where I am now.

The ingredients are whole milk, cheddar, sour cream, a dash of flour, potatoes, scallions, bacon, salt, and pepper. The potatoes are in cubes and floating in a thick, creamy soup. Mmmm.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
1>Scrub tater

2> Poke holes

3> Make sure tater is still wet and sprinkle liberally with salt. (This is to make the skin all tasty)

4> Nuke for 10 minutes (I like them somewhat over done)

5> Cut open long ways with a knife and stuff full of grated Mozerella cheese (gotta do something while it's nuking for 10 min. Grate your cheese and chop your green onion)

6> After the cheese has melted a little, put in sour cream and sprinkle with chopped green onions.

7> With a fork and steak knife, eat from one end to the other.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I scrub 'em, rub 'em with butter, and then bake them at 450° for 40 to 60 minutes, depending on the size of the potato. Aluminum foil is neither necessary nor desirable. Halfway through the cooking time, I puncture 'em with a fork. I've never cared for potatoes out of the microwave, but then again, I never use my microwave for anything except boiling water and reheating leftovers.

OH, and I top it with EVERYTHING except sour cream.

sour cream = YUCK

[ September 18, 2004, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I bake mine in the oven, unless I can convince hubby to wrap them in foil and put them in the grill for me. I'm with Icky on microwaves...they're for reheating leftovers. I put on butter, salt, pepper and grated sharp Tillamook cheddar.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
steamed in foil, opened up and smashed with sour cream, chives, and margerine. Eat untill the skins are bare, but throw away skin.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Place in oven

2. Take out when fork goes in easily

3. Cut in half length-wise

4. Cut each half length-wise

5. Cut each half width-wise 6-8 times (depending on the length of the potato.

6. Smear butter over the cuts

7. Pull all of the pieces apart.

8. Add lots of salt

9. Enjoy

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite way to eat a baked potato is to hold it in my hand and bite into it like I would an apple. No toppings.

I learned to eat potatoes plain in Japan, where you can purchase baked potatoes from the yaki-imo cart as it passes through your neighborhood in the evening.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Giiive it to us raww and wrrigggling.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.