FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "with his own happiness as his moral purpose" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "with his own happiness as his moral purpose"
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Not true, I think - I know good people who really dislike children and animals.

I don't think you can measure a person (in an absolute sense) by any given standard, except perhaps their own.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's one thing to dislike them, another to treat them badly.

In fact, how you treat someone you dislike says a lot about how good you really are.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag--yeah, exactly.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

Well, I know some good people who don't treat them very well too.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Then I would say they're not good people. They might be good except for how they treat children and animals, but they're not good in an unqualified sense.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
No one is perfect. What are some acceptable caveats? Everyone is "good, except..."
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I agree no one is perfect. Doesn't change the fact that someone who mistreats children is not "good."

Dagonee

katharina
Member # 827

Then no one is good, because everyone fails in some area.

What about someone who is nice to children but spreads gossip about their boss? Do you feel the same way?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miles_per_hour
Member # 6451

- posted      Profile for miles_per_hour   Email miles_per_hour         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if the gossip's about my boss... [Wink]
Posts: 143 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

People who mistreat children perpetuate cruelty and pain in this world.

Dagonee

Xaposert
Member # 1612

Who doesn't perpetuate cruelty and pain in some way?

As I said, I know people who treat children and animals in ways I wouldn't consider too nice, but I've observed that those people are still good people. Thus, to define good people as only including people who treat children and animals well would be wrong. And since I don't agree with that conclusion, I'm not going to be convinced if you say my observations about them being good people are wrong because good people would treat children better. That'd end up circular.

[ September 20, 2004, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

katharina
Member # 827

What if they are kind to children but perpetuate cruelty in other ways?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Kat, I'm refuting one particular statement, that someone can mistreat children and still be good. I never claimed everyone who is nice to children is good.

Xap, then you have a strange definition of good.

Dagonee

katharina
Member # 827

I know. And I'm asking you to expand on it - if one malevolent act makes a person unfit to be called good, can anyone ever be? Since no one is perfect, what malevolent actions can be taken that will not disqualify someone from the "good" label?
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
There is not a person on the face of this earth who is _unqualifiably_ good. Everyone has flaws. Some of those flaws are considerably worse than others.

It isn't up to us to decide whether someone is good or bad. That is between them and God (insert 'their own moral code' if you do not believe in God) It is up to us to determine when and how to help people, and when those people have become so detrimental to the community that they must be removed or at least restrained.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I know. And I'm asking you to expand on it - if one malevolent act makes a person unfit to be called good, can anyone ever be?
It's not one act - I think a person can commit almost any act once and still be good (or become good at a later time).

But Xap described said these people "don't treat [children] very well" as if it were an ongoing pattern. It's the ongoing nature that keeps them from being good.

Dagonee

Xaposert
Member # 1612

quote:
Xap, then you have a strange definition of good.
Strange does not imply incorrect.
katharina
Member # 827

Is anyone good? No one treats anyone around them perfectly - can anyone ever be called good?
the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
people keep trying to tell my i'm good. i think those people have a strange idea of good.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I don't know kat. If no one can be called good, then this doesn't matter because Xap's still wrong.

Mistreatment of children is a serious moral failing and indicates a moral gap in the person doing the mistreating. It's not a minor thing.

Dagonee

katharina
Member # 827

But being benign towards children isn't the ultimate measure of a person's goodness, either.

What if the person is indifferent towards children altogether? Not particularly fond, and therefore doesn't have any and stays out of the way when he runs across them. You could not say he was kind to children, but it isn't impossible for this person to be good.

[ September 20, 2004, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
That person still isn't cruel to children.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

quote:
If no one can be called good, then this doesn't matter because Xap's still wrong.
Again, you said my definition was weird, not wrong. I can accept that, but it's still right.

To find out, we'd need a list of people who are to be considered good. Go around and ask people who they know that is good - I bet many of them will be people who aren't necessarily the kindest towards children and animals. I know I've heard Slash claim, for instance, that he can be, eh, grumpy towards kids, to put it one way.

[ September 20, 2004, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

katharina
Member # 827

But he also isn't kind to children. You can't judge him by how he treats them, because he does his best to not treat them any way at all.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
But being benign towards children isn't the ultimate measure of a person's goodness, either.
Of course not. I haven't said it was. Not mistreating children is necessary, but not sufficient, to being good.

Dagonee

Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What if the person is indifferent towards children altogether? Not particularly fond, and therefore doesn't have any and stays out of the way when he runs across them. You could not say he was kind to children, but it isn't impossible for this person to be good.

You pretty much just described me there [Smile] But I do like animals quite a lot, am raising a bunch of them, volunteer at a shelter, and do my best to intervene on their behalf when I see them abused or neglected.

I pretty much agree with the assessment that how a person treats children and animals speaks to their general character. I'd actually expand it to say "anyone/anything less powerful than them." If someone is a model citizen in all respects except that they get their jollies by, say, tormenting homeless people, I wouldn't say they're a good person.

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
You can measure a person by how they treat children and animals.

AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a big difference between being grumpy around children, and even grumpy towards them, and being cruel to children.

I think it isn't about "if you aren't kind to children, then you aren't good," but it is about "if you are cruel to children, then you aren't good."

One involves a neutral behavior, and the other involves active harm.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

And you can measure them that way. You can also measure them by how they react to being cut off in traffic, whether they hold the door open for others, and how much they give to charity.

Just like I can measure a desk with a ruler, or with a scale, or by seeing how much water is displaced. Each gives you certain information, all related to the matter that comprises the desk.

Dagonee

mackillian
Member # 586

[Roll Eyes]

Amka's got it. When you cause intentional harm to someone over whom you've got power, that excludes your character from being good.

...and Dag, too.

[ September 20, 2004, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

katharina
Member # 827

As long as we know it's one of many possible measures.

[ September 20, 2004, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

mackillian
Member # 586

Feel free to name some more if you wish.
katharina
Member # 827

Whether or not they treat the other person in a debate with respect.
Dread Pirate_Smith
Member # 4780

- posted      Profile for Dread Pirate_Smith   Email Dread Pirate_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Arrrrr.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pirate_Smith
Member # 4780

- posted      Profile for Dread Pirate_Smith   Email Dread Pirate_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Gue?
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

So what you are saying is, if I see anyone who has power over someone else intentionally cause harm to that person, and make a habit of it, I can judge that person as a bad person?

That would make almost everyone I know a bad person, including many on this forum. How many people here have repeatedly attacked newbies coming to this forum, for instance?

AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

Then we are all going to hell, aren't we. Here, let me hold the door open for you, kat.
mackillian
Member # 586

but amka, I sorta liked my handbasket.

It has pretty ribbons.

katharina
Member # 827

Amka, are you implying I'm going to hell?

I'm horribly insulted. [Razz]

[ September 20, 2004, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Dread Pirate_Smith
Member # 4780

Arrr, I live in hell, little miss, where the winds of sulfer blow, and tear at the skin.

Round here, they call it Utah.

AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

Xap,

Yes. But I'm not sure I've seen anyone habitually attack newbies around here. Every once in a while someone new has clearly been a troll, and every once in a while a newbie has had some pretty outrageous behavior and been put down. But I don't think anyone has ever been attacked simply because they are newbies.

mackillian
Member # 586

And there was much discord and gnashing of teeth.
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

quote:
where the winds of sulfer blow
And this weekend, that hasn't been a joke, eh dread pirate?

*plugs her nose*

(note: for those of you that don't know, Mr. Smith and I live near a salty, briny lake and we've had a lot of very windy storms.)

AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

Hey, its hailing here too...
Dread Pirate_Smith
Member # 4780

Indeedly so.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
"For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die."

Yeah I know it is a random Bible quote, but it kept popping into my head while reading this discussion. Not telling you where it is found either. <Grin>

AJ

Maybe I just like the word peradventure.

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I didn't even know that was a word. o_O
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
But I'm not sure I've seen anyone habitually attack newbies around here.
There's some fun newbie doings going on today, that's for sure.

Dagonee

mackillian
Member # 586

Is that quotation differentiating betweena righteous man and a good man?

Seems so. That righteous doesn't automatically mean good (Pharisees) and good doesn't automatically mean righteous (Samaritans?)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.