FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I think this is a pretty good idea

Author Topic: I think this is a pretty good idea
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/09/17/ftc.spambounty.ap/index.html

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- What would it take to get someone to turn in one of those spammers who send millions of unwanted e-mails? At least $100,000, the Federal Trade Commission figures.

Six-figure incentives are the only way to persuade people to disclose the identity of co-workers, friends and others they know are responsible for flooding online mailboxes with unsolicited pitches for prescription drugs, weight loss plans and other products, according to an agency report Thursday.

The commission said a government-funded reward system could work if the payoff was between $100,000 and $250,000 -- higher than rewards in most high-profile criminal and terrorism cases. For example, the FBI pays $50,000 for tips leading to the arrests of most of its top 10 fugitives.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
So...any spammers over here?
I'm just asking because...you know...I'm curious. The money? Bah...didn't even notice it. [Evil]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
Makes me wish I knew someone that did that...I could use the money for school. [Big Grin]
Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miles_per_hour
Member # 6451

- posted      Profile for miles_per_hour   Email miles_per_hour         Edit/Delete Post 
It's kinda depressing that I don't even have the opportunity to be a sell-out. I'm just a sell-out wannabe. ;(
Posts: 143 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I knew a spammer

or two

or several.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, if Arthur Miller were writing Death of a Salesman today, Willy Loman wouldn't be killing himself so that his family could get the insurance check. Instead, he'd be setting himself up as a spammer so that his family could turn him in and claim the reward money...

[ September 20, 2004, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: plaid ]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Right on, plaid!

[Hat]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
nice to know that being a serial killer will be easier to get away with than trying to sell you a pill to make your (pick a part) bigger.

is there a reward for turning in people who download mp3's illegaly? if the recording industry sponsered one, that would make more sense than this.

as annoying as deleting 80 crap messages a day, and constantly restructuring my filters is, i would rather see this kind of money spent on, oh, just about anything. like, maybe education? or road work? or something.

(was that the response you were hoping for?)

[ September 20, 2004, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: the master ]

Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

If that last line was directed at me, then my answer is, I wasn't hoping for any particular response. Though, I obviously disagree with you in this particular instance, I have to ask, do you really dislike rewards for turning people in in general because the money is ill spent, or because it turns people into stooges for the state with all that implies?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
i dislike that the reward system places more value on spammers than on murderers.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pirate_Smith
Member # 4780

- posted      Profile for Dread Pirate_Smith   Email Dread Pirate_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
What if it was a Spamming Murderer? You know, sent out emails and if you didn't send it to 10 people in the next 10 minutes, he'd come and kill you?
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Gotcha. I can understand that.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
And other than having a good heart, what would prevent a hacker from hijacking your machine, filling it with all the malware development code and tests as well as the malware itself, setting your computer to spam, then turning you in for the reward?

The reason I ask is that there is a college student in jail right now for eco"terrorism" -- arson at a SouthernCalifornia SUV dealership -- solely on the basis of emails claiming responsibility tracked to his computer.
My problem is: what CalTech student is so oblivious as to how computers/networks work that s/he would send emails from her/his own computer without even bothering to cover the trail by spoofing?

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.