Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LOST

Author Topic: LOST
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody needs to watch LOST Tonight at 8pm on ABC. The first episode of the series which, I guarantee, is going to be one of the greats.

It's gearing up to be Lord of the Flies MEETS The Stand MEETS Land of the Lost.

quote:
Survivors of a mid-Pacific plane crash have landed on an island of harsh terrain, cruel weather and dark secrets, including a frightful creature that stalks the jungle. Strangers all, even those related by blood, the survivors' pasts — their ethics, religions, politics, and attitudes — threaten to jeopardize the group's ability to endure.
I've already seen the advanced Pilot, and I can assure you - you don't wanna miss it!

(having already seen the pilot, I can catch tonights premier of Smallville without feeling like I'm missing anything [Wink]

But man... I'm REALLY going to need to get a TiVo soon.

[ September 22, 2004, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - Taalcon -- what do you think of the fact that they are going to have Superman fly in tonight's premeire of Smallville -- something they originally swore would never happen in this series?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Well, I'm doing something originally I didn't want to do - jumping into the show with a gap in my knowledge. I just completed watching Season 1 two days ago, and last week caught the last two episodes of Season 3. But, I want to be up to date, so I figured I'd watch it. We'll see. I do have Season 2 sitting on my shelf now, andI can't wait to start cracking on that...

I have, though, absolutely loved what I've seen of Smallville. The development of Clark and Lex's relationship is simply wonderful.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds good, but, alas, I have church tonight. Do you know if it's going to air again during the next week? I searched on TV Guide, but no other airings showed up.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Which is why everyone needs either a TiVo, or broadband and a Bittorrent client with SuprNova.org.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Which is why I need more money.
Which is why I need a better job.
Which is why I need to be 18 already.

*sigh*

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Hop to it.
the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
Or digital cable with DVR.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Dish PVR is primed and ready to go...
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I plan to watch it. The selling point for me, though, is that Dominic Monaghan is going to be on it.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm upset because I don't have a tv and everyone's watching it except me! And saying how good it's going to be and etc etc...

*weeps*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad it's on Wednesday, I'm at church on Wednesdays until 8:00.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

I have church scripture studies on Thursday nights - fortunately, only thing I watch comes on at 10pm [Wink]
Just another Dharma bum
Member # 6879

- posted      Profile for Just another Dharma bum   Email Just another Dharma bum         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the show looks awful, from the trailers on TV it looks like every cliche known to man will be in this thing.

One scene: A woman is going into labor, then something behind her explodes.

This will not be good if it's an action TV series like it's been advertised. I'll watch to see what it turns out to be, because advertisements have been known to mislead [Wink] .

Posts: 84 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

I've seen it - both parts of the premier, actually. It's not just another action series by a LONG shot. And it's gooood.

Which, of course, means that they'l mess with the schedule without telling anyone, and cancel it because 'nobody's watching it'.

Yes, I'm still bitter over FIREFLY and WONDERFALLS.

This show is created/written/directed by J.J. Abrams, who is responsible for ALIAS.

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Edited for redundant post.

Ni!

[ September 22, 2004, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: kwsni ]

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

No Spoiler First Reactions/Predictions:

1. Predictable. Or perhaps that's because I read the synopsis before hand. I should stop doing that; it tell me exactly how the writers are thinking and therefore everything is very predictable.

2. Domonic Monaghan has the best role. Or knows what to do with the role he has.

3. I wanted more of the more interesting characters. It seemed that Jack and Kate were the most bland of them all, but then again all of the heros are like that.

4. I liked it, the atmosphere was bad when i was watching it though- common room with skeptics all the time. I need a quieter place to watch.

5. The commercials ruined the suspense. Ruined it completely. Note to future tv stations: lose the commercials on the premiere. People aren't going to be hooked if every few seconds McDonald's chicken is being shoved in their faces.

6. The mysterious, large, invisible plot point? Real or imagined? It's a little cheesy, although that may be due to my environment.

7. I'm watching next week.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

See, I was able to watch the double-length premiere (yeah, that includes next week's ep) in one sitting, without commercial breaks. And the pacing was top notch.

*Right now I'm watching the premier of Veronica Mars on UPN - and it be..*shock* a really good, smart witty show on UPN! Is this even possible?

Teshi
Member # 5024

Taalcon, I hate you.

(not really)

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that this was supposed to be the worst episode. It only gets better from here. Once they realize that they aren't going to be recuesed very soon, it will get more intense.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
I wanted to watch it, but I had science class.
Does anyone know if and when they're playing that episode again?

(there is nothing more boring than watching OTHER PEOPLE dissecting an earthworm....very, very slowly...)

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just another Dharma bum
Member # 6879

- posted      Profile for Just another Dharma bum   Email Just another Dharma bum         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That was really good! I was really surprised, now I can't wait for the next episode!
Posts: 84 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
Great so far. But I'm a sucker for disaster/survival/scary-unknown-things-in-the-jungle type movies.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Gilligan's Island with a soap opera/action twist.

Gilligan . . . the skipper too . . . a millionaire and his wife . . .

a movie star, the professor and Mary Anne

here on Gilligan's isle!

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it, though I see how there's a lot of room for the show to go wrong.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I can see where it is going.....

Kind of predictable...but my wife liked it.

I think she just wants to do the hobbit...

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if I actually like it or if I am just that...ok, obsessed with Dom, but I will keep watching it. I did think it had some pretty cheesy elements. There are an inordinate number of attractive, virile men for one airplane, and there are a lot of "tokens" (high-maintenance chick in denial and her not-so-bright, but well-meaning boyfriend, fat guy, old guy, pregnant chick, etc.).
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
And here I was thinking I wanted to see an 8 month preggers woman on the next Survivor.

I'm really disappointed they cut the premier in half. And what destroyed the suspence more for me than the constant comercials (DVDs have spoiled me) were the INANE promos they kept putting in the lower right hand corner of the screen. I don't CARE what's on next, I'm trying to enjoy what I'm seeing now. I realize this is common practice now and F/X does theirs with sound loud enough to drown on the real dialog. But it really needs to change.

Anyway, I intend to keep watching this show. I just hope it has ratings high enough to keep it on the air despite the attempts by the network to sabotage it.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Keep in mind there are 48 survivors on the Island. We only focused on a small group of them tonight...
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which is why everyone needs either a TiVo, or broadband and a Bittorrent client with SuprNova.org.

How does that work?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mek
Member # 740

- posted      Profile for mek   Email mek         Edit/Delete Post 
Bittorrent is a P2P file transfer protocol involving an "index file" and a program that runs it. You download the .torrent index file for whatever file you want to get (the torrent is very small, ~10k) and this index tells the client where and how to find the target file.

While the client downloads the latest episode of whatever for you, it simultaneously uploads it to other people as well. Generally it's considered nice to leave the program open after it's done downloading, so other people can upload off you.

www.suprnova.org hosts a searchable and categorized collection of .torrent files, which generally includes all the latest music, video games, movies, and tv shows. [URL=http://www.bittornado.com ]www.bittornado.com[/URL] has a client for opening these .torrent files.

Problems? It's illegal, naturally. Bittorrent is also completely unencrypted and easy to track, so if you are in a situation where file transferring could lead to legal troubles, running bittorrent is like painting a bullseye for the RIAA/MPAA. I'm Canadian, so I *love* it.

Posts: 117 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

*shrugs* All I generally download are TV shows I missed the night before anyway, that I'm already legally paying for through cable. I'm not too worried.

And I LOVES me some Bittorrent.

[ September 24, 2004, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
So...does anyone know if they're playing the first episode again?
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I show October 2nd at 8:00, parts 1 and 2 together.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Go figure. I'm gone that weekend. Maybe I can gt the others to record it...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.