FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's a good GRE score?

Author Topic: What's a good GRE score?
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Without admitting anything (like I just got back from taking it), I was wondering what a "good" score is. I'm going to go to grad school and was wondering if I need to take it again. All the school's at which I've looked say something inane like "the higher the better" for score range. Stupid schools.

But seriously, what's considered good?

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What is a Good ‘Ball Park’?

In most of the top programs, ‘ball park’ starts at about 1300. This is not a strict cutoff. However, with scores less than 1200, your chances of getting into the top program are minimal

I really don't know, Carrie - since I've never done graduate work. I just got that (above) off of This Site

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It really depends.

Do you want respectable, good, or eye-popping?

Respectable: Verbal 600 or above, Math 600 or above (I think), Analytical 4.5 or above

Good: Verbal - 700 or above, Math - 700 or above, Analytical - 5.0 or above

Eye-Popping: Verbal - 780 or above, Math 780 or above, Analytical - 6.0

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I see that double post kat. [Razz]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*hides in shame*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
(Note: my advice is based on my current status as a professional GRE prep instructor, so take that for what it is or isn't worth)

It really depends on what you need. For one thing, the raw scores themselves aren't as significant as the percentiles, but even more important is what kind of scores the programs to which you are applying want.

For example, my score in math was a 560 (65th percentile), while my score in verbal was 710 (around 95th, I think). For my programs, though, the math score was unimportant, while the verbal score was vital.

Incidentally, of the three scores, I was most proud of the math one, since I hate math and haven't taken a math class since 1990 and still did better than about two-thirds of those taking the test.

As for the writing section, nearly half the test-takers get 5.0 or over, so you should get at least that to be taken seriously by most programs. Also, raw scores in math are generally higher than those in verbal, so a 700 in verbal looks a little better than a 700 in math.

Finally, I'd like to add that the word "verbal" cracks me pretty consistently up because it sounds like "gerbil," which is a very, very funny word.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vera
Member # 2094

- posted      Profile for Vera   Email Vera         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Kat on the approximate ranges. But when I took the GREs (a little more than 2 years ago) the Analytical was scored on the same scale as the Math and Verbal, so anything above a 700 was good. But I think they might have been about to phase out the Analytical section altogether in favor of an essay section.

Also, which score matters more obviously depends on your field. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape out the scores either. I think other things like recomendations and research experience matter more. I've never heard of anyone with anything over a 600 being rejected because of their score, as long as they were strong in other areas. On the other hand, if you are weak in another area, a really kick-ass score can put you over the top.

Posts: 96 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

By the way, I highly recommend taking practice tests. I took the GRE twice - the first time cold, having never taken a standardized test online. The second time I took it I practiced slightly, and my math score stayed about the same (curses!), but verbal went up 90 points. Totally worth it.

[ September 23, 2004, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
It definately depends upon what type of program you apply to. The verbal score didn't really factor in as much as the math / analytical did for me. From many of the CS they were expecting at the very least a 700 in math. I know that one of my friends in a different field said her GRE didn't matter at all and what mattered was her portfolio of stuff and her recommendations.

So I guess the real question is what program are you trying to go into. Something in the fine arts or writing might not care as much. Sciences care more. Other stuff can be inbetween.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Upon further review (as in I skimmed the American Philological Association's 2003 Guide to Graduate Programs in the Classics in the US and Canada), I think my score's not half-bad. It was a 1410 - 610 Verbal, 800 Math (writing's not back yet; I did just take them today... [Wink] )

Since I plan on going into Classics, I think my Verbal score should/could be higher, but I really don't want to pass up my 800 - especially since the applications all want your most recent score. Most of the programs I'm looking at say barebones one needs a 1200, so I think I'm alright with my score.

Thanks for the insights!

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shame they took out the analytical section. It was fun. [Frown]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the analytical section was fun! It was the section they gave me twice too. [Smile] I think this might make us very strange people Icarus.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Big Grin]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
Check with the school you plan to attend and see what the limits are on GRE scores. Sometimes they vary from program to program. I bombed on my math but blew the verbal part of the test out of the water. In spite of my math, I still scored high enough to get into the grad school program of my choice. I'm sure the fact that my program is a writer's program helped a lot.

The best you can do for yourself is to focus on what you can do with this score and go on. I'll bet you'll be fine.

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I think this thread has attracted all the people that want to talk about their scores.

I'm giving in to temptation. Analytical 5.5 (curses), Math 670, Verbal 800

Icarus
Member # 3162

Those are nice scores. [Smile]

[ September 23, 2004, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

katharina
Member # 827

(((Icarus))) Thank you for indulging attention-needing me. [Razz]
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
700 verbal (97th percentile)
710 quantitative (76th percentile)
670 analytical (77th percentile)

I studied for two solid months for that GRE. I pretty much had to relearn algebra, geometry, and trig. I did about as good as I'll ever do on a math test, so that score definitely didn't disappoint me.

It got me into grad school. Good riddance. [Taunt]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

Incidentally, in the spirit of blatant plugs, the new BYU-run GRE Prep Course starts on Saturday, so if any of you Utah County-area Hatrackers want to see yours truly (and/or improve your GRE score), sign up today!
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh! I want to join the fun too! When the computer showed my scores after taking the test, I had to clap my hand over my mouth to keep from squealing. All the practice tests I'd taken had given significantly lower scores, so I didn't believe the computer at first...

Verbal: 780
Math: 730
Writing: 5.5

And I had been very much looking forward to the analytical section... stupid essays aren't as much fun.

Edit to contribute something other than my scores:
There are a couple of livejournal communties for grad students and people applying that have a lot of good info. I also remember there being a lot of classics people. You may want to check them out, I think they're 'gradstudents' and 'applyingtograd.' Be warned, however, that there are plenty of obsessive people there and it may only serve to make you obsessive, as well.

[ September 24, 2004, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: Risuena ]

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Taken in 1997:

Verbal: 480
Quantitative: 660
Analytical: 700

Should have been a bit higher on the math, since I was a math major, dammit. And while the Verbal scores do fall in my predicted range (the extreme low end, but still in range), I remain convinced to this day that I mismarked a portion of the test.

I also took the Math one, and got a 590 in that. Eh. Not bad, but I could have been higher, if I had studied more.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Okay, now that we're all doing it.

The first time I took it, to get into my master's program, I got 790 math, 760 verbal, 750 analytical. I took it again two years later, thinking about going for a Ph.D. (which I never did) and got a 2400. [Cool]

::looks down on GRE peons::

j/k [Wink]

[ September 24, 2004, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! You scored a 800 on Math, Carrie (math whiz!) but are going into a verbal field? [Smile]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I have long known that I'm not really smart enough to post here at Hatrack. [Smile] But I just take it a day at a time.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Holy moley, Icky.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Yeah, but by this time I had already made a living for three years teaching people to prepare for this test, so it's kind of like if I had to take an Algebra II test today.

j/k [Wink]

Carrie
Member # 394

That's actually almost a funny story, Farmgirl. I came into college planning to be a Math major and actually stayed with it for three semesters, getting through Linear Algebra. I had maybe five classes left in the major before it would have been done. However, I'd started taking Classics courses - it'd been an obsession of mine since Christmas when I was 8. So the plan was to double-major... and honestly, "I'm majoring in Math and Classics" just sounded cool. Then, while registering for the Spring semester of my sophomore year, I looked at the titles of the Math courses and none of them looked interesting. I thought "Who actually wants to take a class called 'Advanced Calculus'?" I realize now that I probably should have stuck with it and doubled, but had I done that, I wouldn't have gone to Greece. So I'm quite alright with passing up math.

It's funny, though, my sister was talking to me through IM the other day, and she was complaining about her high school Calculus and how hard it was and how stupid she felt (FYI: She's most assuredly not stupid - and I'm not just saying that out of sibling loyalty). Anyhow, I told her that Calc wasn't that bad and they can't be doing much more than graphing lines at this point and she came right back with "Well, we're not all math geniuses like you." It's not my fault high school (and most college math I had) was easy. Then again, she probably took my math sympathy with several grains of salt, as she was helping me clean my room when I found my derivative practice... from kindergarten.

No, no, Classics for me. I find the mysteries much more interesting to ponder. And if my checkbook happens to be correctly balanced, so what? [Wink]

Dante
Member # 1106

So, in preparation for Ph.D. programs I had to take the GRE (again) and the GRE Lit. test. I was relieved (since I teach a GRE prep class) to get an 800 in Verbal this time. Not surprisingly, my math score stayed about the same (hovering around 50th percentile).

And today I finally got my Lit. score (700, 95th percentile). I was very pleased with it, considering I know very little about literary theory and drama after Shakespeare. I was actually very fortunate in the materials chosen for the particular version of the test I took.

reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
If it didn't cost so much money to take, I'd probably take my GRE over again. (I'm pretty sure that my scores are good enough that taking the GRE again won't make or break things, or I'd be willing to spend the extra money.) I got an 800 on verbal, but I didn't do all that well on quantatative analysis section (about a 650) - and what made that especially annoying was that I got a 700 quantatative on the practice test I took, so it was a big and disappointing drop.

Still haven't gotten my writing score back yet.

I wish I knew if the field I'm going into would most likely care more about my math scores or my verbal scores.

Is it true that the math section is easier on the GRE than on the SAT? Because that what I'd heard, and yet I got a 700 on math on my SAT, about fifty points higher than on my GRE....

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[brag]My brother got a 2400, and *he* didn't even have to teach (or take) a prep class to do it.[/brag]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really impressed with the > 750 verbal scores. I did okay on verbal, but man on at least one of the questions, I had never seen any of the words before.

(verbal 680, quant. 780, writing 4.5)

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Razz]
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I got in to a grad program without a GRE score. Granted, I already had a Master's, but still.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.