FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Prayers requested

Author Topic: Prayers requested
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who wants to, please take the time to say a prayer. I don't know if you've seen it on the news yet, but a terrible thing happened today, not three hours ago. A Haven bus (from my school, the high school) was crossing K-96 today after school to take at least four students to Yoder. The bus pulled right in front of the semi and was hit directly in the side. The bus was badly damaged. At tennis practice, before we knew about it (we cancelled practice at about 4:30 when we found out) two helicopters flew over. They were two LifeTouch helicopters. I don't know how many they carried. Please pray for the drivers and passengers of both the bus and the semi. They now say the high schoolers had gotten off and the kids that were left (5-10) were kindergarteners to 7th grade. Please pass this one to anyone you can. Thank you.

Ivygirl

[ September 23, 2004, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: IvyGirl ]

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
We can only hope for the best for you and everyone else involved.

Good luck Ivy.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
*sends positive thoughts*

This is so terrible; please keep us updated.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
May God be with you, the community and the victims.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Praying. I hope everyone is OK.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

They said at least one of the kids and/or driver is in critical condition, probably more. Nothing is really definite right now.

Ivygirl

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Update:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5886310/

[ September 23, 2004, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

[Group Hug] for Ivygirl and schoolmates.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth -- sorry, but your post was to the wrong story -- that accident happened LAST week involving the Buhler team. (We've had three major school bus accidents here in Kansas in the last month!)

Here is our story: Haven Bus Accident

However, it turns out that the bus was the one from the Yoder Charter School (which is one of four K-8 schools that feeds INTO Haven High School -- part of our school district, but not the high school as originally reported). Yoder Charter has primarily Amish and Mennonite students.

We know more this morning -- the kids were in the 8 to 13 age range, and this was near the end of their route. The driver didn't see the semi and pulled out in front of it -- it V-d the bus in the side and spun it around 180 degrees, but did NOT turn it over or roll it (a good thing).

Three helicopters took four students to trauma centers, two ambulances took the other two (one was the bus driver) to a local hospital (those two have since been treated and released). Teachers went to the parents' homes and drove them to the hospital (because Amish don't drive). The two people in the semi were not hurt.

The ones Lifewatched to the trauma center are still in critical condition.

While Ivygirl was mainly upset last night when she posted this because she thought it was high school friends on that bus -- she would like you to continue to think about these kids because they are most likely younger siblings of some of her fellow students.

It has shaken everyone pretty much, because this is a very small school district, and pretty much everyone knows everyone.

Farmgirl

[ September 24, 2004, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate this kind of thing. Fortunately school bus crashes are rare. But when they happen, it is heart-wrenching for the community.

I'll add my prayers.

- Bob

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
~~~prayers~~~
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
Fortunately school bus crashes are rare
Although I know this is statistically true, Bob, it sure seems like there has been an abnormal rash of them lately, at least around here.

Back when my kids were in grade school, I was the gung-ho mom demanding they should put seat belts on buses since I'm adamant about them wearing them in the car. But then I was presented with a passelload of evidence showing 1) how rare school bus crashes were (at that time there hadn't been one in Kansas in over five years, and most were minor) and 2) how the buses were designed, etc. (you know this stuff). So I backed down.

We have had three MAJOR school bus accidents just in this area of Kansas recently. However, I will have to say in all cases, these buses were built like tanks. I mean - even in this incident -- a SEMI going the fully allowed 70MPH hit this sucker broadside. While it did make a major V -- the overall frame of the bus held together - it just spun around, and luckily didn't roll.

It helped that the semi trailer (flatbed) was empty instead of full -- a full load probably would have added about another 50,000 pounds, and lots more force.

Farmgirl

[ September 24, 2004, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I've yet to understand how you can fail to see a semi.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, actually at this intersection, I CAN understand it.

K-96 runs a diagonal, SE to NW. The road the bus was on runs straight N-S. The highway is divided four lane -- so she had crossed the first two lanes (eastbound) and was in the middle, preparing to cross the second two lanes (westbound).

This means, for the driver, who is sitting on the left-hand side of the bus, with the stairwell, etc. to her right -- she has to screw around and look far back over her right shoulder (not just simply to her right) because of this angle highway. Lots of blind spots on buses (I used to serve as a substitute bus driver). This is just a horrible angle to see traffic -- especially if there is anyone sitting in first one or two seats on that side of the bus.

Farmgirl

[ September 24, 2004, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
No, that makes sense.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
.... [Frown]

*hugs*

*crosses fingers*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

It was also said that one of the children was thrown from the bus. We had a discussion about seat belts in my Sociology class and how we should always wear them. Also, how stupid it was that the buses didn't have them anymore.

Ivygirl

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

The girl that was thrown from the bus in the accident (age 13) died yesterday..... [Cry]

FG

[ September 27, 2004, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope no one got severly injured, if they were,
then I hope they get better soon,
If they died(I hope not), then I hope their death was quick.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*sends good thoughts*

Ivy, it's very sweet of you to do this for them.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
In my life, I've only seen about one or two buses with belts for the passengers. Drivers always have them.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.