FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mea Culpa on Yom Kippur

Author Topic: Mea Culpa on Yom Kippur
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
So today is Yom Kippur, the Jewish Day of Atonement. Around the world, Jews are fasting (no food or water), starting yesterday sundown, and going until sundown tonight. Many are in temple all day (as I suspect many of our Jewish Jatraqueros are), gainng atonement from God.

There is another atonement that goes on during Yom Kippur; the atoning for transgressions between human beings in the past year. As I learned last night, God atones for us readily for transgressions against him, but not for transgressions against others. That requires asking each person for forgiveness, and hoping they accept.

So that said, I'd like to start my own Hatrack atonement thread. I ask for forgiveness from:

1) Our Jewish Jatraqueros, for butchering the nuances of Yom Kippur in my description above.

2) CStroman, for our recent incident.

3) Kat, Dagonee, Belle, and any others I may have offended, mischaractarized, or presumed the worst motives, either intentionally or accidentally, in the past year.

4) Any Jatraquero who I have annoyed or befuddled with my weird, non-sequitor/non-sensical humor I attempt on occasion. That includes awful Dobies (Hi BtL!)

5) The Cards, for not always following the spirit of the Code of Conduct, even if I haven't been called on it, or have followed the letter of the law.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Bok,

This tradition is similar to one my Polish Catholic friend practices on Christmas Eve. The family gathers, and they have to confront one another on something, or admit something they did wrong over the past year. (and, like, Bok, I apologize to any Polish Catholics for butchering this tradition)

Anyway, Happy Yom Kippur to all of our Jewish friends, and I aplogize for any times my smarty-pants comments have been misinterpreted as mean, and for avoiding almost every serious thread on this board.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize for immediately thinking of Polish sausage while reading Elizabeth's post.

Wait, do we have to apologize for things we only think?

And I apologize for anything I've done that's irritated someone, even a little bit. And also for avoiding seriousness all the time.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ryuko,
You should now apologize for almost making me choke just then, by causing me to guffaw loudly while eating a potato chip.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The family gathers, and they have to confront one another on something, or admit something they did wrong over the past year.
Must be a family or regional thing.

[Confused]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kama, I will ask her. It could very well be regional. It is something begun by her grandparents, though, who came from Poland, in the early 1900's.

Could there be a connection to Yom Kippur? Could the idea of atonement in this way have been a shared or borrowed Jewish tradition adopted by Catholics in some part of Poland?

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

About the wafer tradition, and the blessings/apologies/acceptances that happen at many fmily gatherings:

"Needless to say, this is a tender and touching moment of love and forgiveness when past grudges are forgotten, a fleeting magival moment that has a spiritual dimension all its own. Except for the youngsters still unable to grasp the solemnity of the occasion, many are often moved to tears. They may feel so as they think back to the Christmas Eves of their childhood and the smiling faces of those who have long since passed away. Perhaps they also nostalgically recall their own younger days, when they enjoyed god health, things were simpler and life in general seemed more beautiful."

http://www.catholic.org/prwire/headline.php?ID=472

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh Bokonon, what a nice gesture.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing to forgive, Bok. Nothing to forgive.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Well, yes, the tradition as described there is very common all over Poland, even in non-religious families.

quote:
The sharing ritual is accompanied by copious kisses, embraces and the exchange of best wishes. Typical wishes might go: "I wish you much health, happiness and the Lord's bountiful blessings as well as the fulfillment of all your plans and everything you wish for yourself." Children are often wished that they get good grades in school, be well-behaved and grow up to be their parents' pride and joy.

I don't think people are actually *admitting* or confessing any things they've done wrong (unless it is a family tradition, or something). There is no concentrating on the past, rather on the present and the future. The "feeling of forgiveness" mentioned in the article results more from the general idea of a family being together, rather than them thinking about their wrongdoings.

That's why I was confused about your post. [Smile]

Actually, I always feel sorta awkward at that moment. I prefer the part afterwards, where my brother and I get to eat all the left-over wafers [Big Grin]

And my mom always buys plenty, cause she knows we like them.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Good article, btw. Does a really good job of describing a typical Polish Christmas Eve dinner [Smile]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kama,
My friend said it is a good kind of thing, sort of leaving the past in the past and moving on to a new year. I think it is a lovely tradition, whatever the intricacies. I love Christmas Eve trditions. The Mexican Catholics have tamales, yum! The Italian Americans have, well, everything edible. It is always a bright, happy time. Christmas Day is for drinking Bloody Marys while and watching the kids open presents, then a nap, then a nice dinner.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*considers* I want some, I think. I do sing carols in the snow as dawn breaks, but that requires snow.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.