FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best Movies of the Summer

Author Topic: Best Movies of the Summer
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Spider-man 2 - Easily better than the original... combines all the action of a comic book movie with a degree of character depth that's hard to find in blockbusters. It's about as good as you can make a Spiderman movie, I think.

2. I, Robot - The robot Jurassic Park. Maintains the philosophical significance of Asimov's robot tales while also making it simple enough for any viewer to understand and exciting enough to make a great movie. If only it could avoid some occasional lapses of cheesiness, it'd be a classic.

3. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story - Hilariously bizarre.

4. Shrek 2 - Just as great as the original, except slightly less, well, original!

5. Fahrenheit 9/11 - Not as good as Bowling for Columbine, but it still succeeds in making a strong case in an amusing, informative, and rather hilarious way. It suffers from too much conspiracy theorizing, though, and letting weaker arguments overshadow the stronger ones.

And as for the worst movie... I can't decide between The Day After Tommorrow and Anaconda 2.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Spiderman 2, F911 and Hero
Because those are the only 3 I've seen this summer.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, like I Robot, even if it isn't like the book at all... 'Cept the do hold a few events that are kind of like events in the book.

Besides, it has some of the best humor I've seen in a movie. ^_^

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Collateral, Garden State, Spiderman 2. My top picks.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Spiderman 2
Garden State
Troy - I really loved this movie. Despite it's flaws, as a movie, it was really good.
Hero

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Garden State.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter 3!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
The Star Wars Trilogy on DVD are my top 3...
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Please. There are some things you shouldn't discuss in mixed company. [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Geez. I couldn't disagree more.

Spiderman was way better than the sequel. The sequel was boring. Less angst, more action, please.

I, Robot plain out sucked. Will Smith fell flat on his face and was the least charming and funny he has been since Six Degrees. It does not maintain the "philosophical significance" of Asimov's stories, whatever that means. It's like it was put together by someone who read a Cliff's Notes synopsis of Asimov's robot themes.

Shrek 2 did rock, though. Way better than the first one.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keepsmilin
Member # 6607

- posted      Profile for keepsmilin   Email keepsmilin         Edit/Delete Post 
heres my picks... (not in any particular order)
-fahrenheit 911
-kill bill 2
-spiderman 2
-garden state

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Shrek 2 did rock, though. Way better than the first one.
I'd contest that [Razz]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ucomics.com/tomthedancingbug/2004/07/17/
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Contest away. The first one couldn't decide if it wanted to be a parody of a Disney musical, or an imitation of one. It was schizophrenic. Not always funny, not always touching, and not appropriate for children. By the sequel, they had figured out on which side their bread was buttered. WAY more gags. You would not for a minute think this was an imitation of a Disney musical. It had parody stamped all over it, from Pinnochio's thong to Farbucks (to Farbucks). The first one was at best mildly amusing. The second one was brilliant.

The only area in which the first is superior is music: it has an awesome soundtrack.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I, Robot plain out sucked. Will Smith fell flat on his face and was the least charming and funny he has been since Six Degrees. It does not maintain the "philosophical significance" of Asimov's stories, whatever that means.
Will Smith didn't play a charming and funny role, though.

And the philosophical significance of the Asimov robot universe revolves around 3 Rules, as a parable of the dangers/results of accepting certain assumptions as the most important moral values - and the continual refining of the significance of those values. What is "harm" and is it really most important to avoid it? This film illustrates this issue very well. Of all the "big" films of the summer, I'd say this is the one that easily has the most depth.

[ September 25, 2004, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I can agree with Spiderman 2 and Shrek 2. I thought both were better than the first. I can't think of anything else I've seen this summer though. Oh wait, The Stepford Wives. [Roll Eyes] Had potential to be so much better, was rather boring. And HP3 was not nearly as good as the first two. A lot of the British charm was missing.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I second a vote for HP3 as the best summer movie. Spiderman 2 was excellent, but it failed to captivate me as much as Harry Potter. The Machurian Candidate was so so. Anchorman...funny but lacking any real depth. Is that all the movies I saw this summer? Oh, yeah, Resident Evil II. [Wall Bash] (All I got was a headache and popcorn stuck in my teeth for that one. I want my money back!!!!!)

I guess that's it. Now for the Fall. Can't wait for Finding Neverland.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.