FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Question For Everyone Who's Written A Semisuccessful or Successful Story

Author Topic: A Question For Everyone Who's Written A Semisuccessful or Successful Story
Elfy of the Avari
Member # 6888

- posted      Profile for Elfy of the Avari   Email Elfy of the Avari         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a major problem with my writing... I don't know if this is the place to go with this, but I hoped it'd be OK... Ummm... When I write, I can usually write pretty well for someone who's thirteen... and when I read the stories that day, it's pretty good, I like it, it's vivid and great. I can usually get about eight chapters into writing a book. But after that, I go back to check over my writing, and it all seems like childish fiction... like something some second-grader scrabbled out on a napkin at McDonalds... I end up getting so frustrated I trash the entire thing and, on more than one occassion, take my anger out on my bedpost(poor inanimate object)... I've gotten carpal tunnel three times, and written on probably a thousand plotlines, and I'm sick of it. I can't stand it, I know that if I start again, it's going to end up the same way. Is there anyone who can give me a suggestion on what I can do? I'm up to the point where I'd take advice from my cats(if they could speak)... [Wall Bash]

[ September 26, 2004, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: Elfy of the Avari ]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Write about your cats.

Seriously, just keep writing. I have stuff I wrote when I was a preteen and teenager. If you don't have the early stuff, you don't have anything to build on and learn from.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have three things to tell you.

1. This site has a forum just for this type of thing. http://www.hatrack.com/forums/youngwriters/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi I go there often and try to help/be helped often.

2. The best things I do is read it outloud... If it sounds childish, it will be easier to pick out earlier if you read it aloud to yourself.
Take a break, then re-read it. You'll find you put in weird words, that you may have better things for now.
Go slower! If you really hate something you write, you can work on it much more easily if it's smaller. I've been working on the same three chapters in a book of mine for two months now... It's a slow process but it's worth it.
Have someone else read it. Works like a charm, they can often criticise it the best.

3. I have the same problem, just realize your not alone, and there are those who want to help you.

Edit: (ah, yes I realize that this makes me look like an idiot editing) No I haven't been "successful", though I've tried getting published, I was rejected. The problem wasn't my writing... they just didn't want it.

[ September 26, 2004, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: Vadon ]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Patience is a virtue. Just give it some time, don't get frustrated, and you'll strike an idea you like.
[Razz]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you do, don't show your piece to Anthro. I heard he's a meanie. [Wink]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

Erm, He's not that bad... Ok, he is a bit harsh if a newbie is just plain... bad, but he does help.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, I'm just teasing. [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Vadon:
quote:
No I haven't been "successful", though I've tried getting published, I was rejected. The problem wasn't my writing... they just didn't want it.
Huh?
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay - as a general rule, I'm more of a lurker than a poster nowdays, but reading your post reminded me a lot of myself, and I thought I might offer a little advice.

I've had a few books published now , and there's not a single one of them that I haven't re-read during the writing process and thought "what a load of rubbish!" I think the first thing I'd suggest is persistence. Often in the middle of the creative process, I find I'm far too close to the work to really have any perspective on its relative merits.

A writing friend of mine once described the first draft of a novel as the equivalent of Michaelangelo dragging a huge block of marble into his workroom. Bloody hard work, and at the end of it all you have left is a shapeless lump. It's in the rewriting and editing that you then begin to chisel away and bring the art out of the lump. The important thing, though, is to get that lump there in the first place, and this takes patience, persistence, belief in both yourself and the story you are writing, and a lot of hard work. Once you have it, though, then you can chop out the dross, and leave only the best parts. This for me is the art of editing.

Secondly, I'd suggest you use your resources - read OSC's advice on this website - it's invaluable. Make contact with other writers (You've managed to get my attention, so feel free to email me...) and get feedback on your work. If it's negative, don't be discouraged - most writers I know will only be negative in the most positive way, and I generally find that most criticism of my work (by editors, professional manuscript assessors etc...) is well founded. If I don't agree with them, I can always ignore them. The important thing is to actively seek other opinions, and then to open mindedly consider them.

Finally (at least in terms of this post) I'd recommend not letting yourself get discouraged, especially so soon. Writing is like any skill - the more you practice and develop it, the more maturity and skill you will bring to your story telling.

I hope some of this is of use to you. Please feel free to either contact me or to completely ignore everything I've written here. Like I say, that's the author's perogative. [Big Grin]

That's it from me. Back to lurking....

cheers
tony

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
How old are you?

EDIT: Nevermind. Apparantly I'm blind.

My advice to you is to keep reading and keep writing. Your writing will improve with practice. There is no "magic key" that you can find that will suddenly improve your writing.

Keep on writing!

[ September 26, 2004, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elfy of the Avari
Member # 6888

- posted      Profile for Elfy of the Avari   Email Elfy of the Avari         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments, guys... I find them really helpful, and I'll try to take your advice to heart. Heh... *slinks off to write about fantasy RPGers nightmares* [Evil Laugh] Once again, thanks guys (and girls)... Also... On the Writing area, is it alright to put fantasy stuff in there?

[ September 26, 2004, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Elfy of the Avari ]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

It's alright... Don't worry. You can post it, but people might be a bit harsher on it...

To clarify what I meant by that. ^_^

I sent in a short story to be published by "Boy's Life." They, furthering my low regard for scouting, said they didn't like it because, even though it was well written and had a moral value, it didn't have to do with anything outdoors. As such, they said no.

So basicly as I said, the problem wasn't my writing, they just didn't want it. No problems though, I laugh about it now. [ROFL]

[ September 26, 2004, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Vadon ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.