FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Primer - If you live in the following cities, I hereby order you to see this movie.

Author Topic: Primer - If you live in the following cities, I hereby order you to see this movie.
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from seeing "Primer" at the Vancouver International Film Festival. I lack sufficent eloquence to describe what I have seen. The movie is intense. Relatively short at 78 minutes long, the intensity makes it feel like hours have elapsed; you will experience time dilation. The film is about a group of engineers who do side projects out of their basement. They stumble upon something amazing, and quickly realise they are far out of their depth. However, not willing to give up, they forge ahead and attempt to reap the rewards of their discovery. What follows is both an enthralling, tense plot that forces you to pay strict attention, and one of the most thoughtful forays into speculative fiction that has ever been put to celluloid.

The film was a pet project of an amateur auteur. It was shot for $7000 on 16mm. Shot frequently without filters, the movie is awash in fluorescent green and tungsten orange. The graininess of the 16mm film, functionally sparse soundtrack and ,appropriately timed, cohesive narration further enriches the solidly indy style. The real hook is the dialouge. Temporally uncertain and abstract, it is at once dramatic, hectic, philosphical, unabashedly technical and darkly comedic. This work absolutely defies categorization and stands in a class of its own--superlative speculative fiction on film. It won the top prize at Sundance this year, and for good reason.

If you get the chance, see this movie.

[ September 27, 2004, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Chaeron ]

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

Here is Primer's entry on the VIFF website:
http://www.viff.org/tixSYS/filmguide/eventnote.php?EventNumber=0350

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I really hope I get a chance to see that. It sounds wonderful!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

A limited run has been announced in the US for Oct. The dates and cities were posted on the movies's website but that seems to be down right now.
Chaeron
Member # 744

*BUMP*

I have at least a partial list of screenings for Oct. and Nov.

quote:
October, 8th New York Angelika
October, 8th Dallas Grapevine 30
October, 8th Dallas Angelika

October, 15th Huntington, NY Cinema Arts Center
October, 15th Boston Kendall 9
October, 15th San Francisco Lumiere
October, 15th Berkeley Act I&II
October, 15th Philadelphia Ritz Theaters
October, 15th Voorhees, NJ Ritz 16
October, 15th Seattle Varsity 3
October, 15th Washington E-Street
October, 15th Minneapolis Uptown/Lagoon
October, 15th Austin Dobie 4
October, 15th Ft. Worth Hulen 10

October, 16th Olympia, WA Capitol Theater

October, 22nd Portland Fox Tower 10
October, 22nd Los Angeles Nuart
October, 22nd Santa Cruz Nickelodeon
October, 22nd St. Louis Tivoli 3
October, 22nd San Antonio Huebner Oaks 24
October, 22nd Lubbock, TX Movies 16
October, 22nd El Paso Tinseltown 20
October, 22nd Waco, TX Jewel 16

October, 29th Tucson Catalina 6
October, 29th Atlanta Midtown Art
October, 29th San Diego Ken Cinema
October, 29th Chicago Century Centre 7
October, 29th Raleigh Colony Twin
October, 29th Durham Carolina
October, 29th Pittsburgh Squirrel Hill
October, 29th Miami South Beach 18
October, 29th Tempe, AZ Valley Art Theater

November 5th Tulsa Southroads
November 5th Oklahoma City Quail Springs 24
November 5th Willamston, MA Images
November 5th Rochester, NY Little Theater

November 12th Tampa Channelside 9
November 12th Knoxville Downtown West 8
November 12th Nashville Green Hill 16

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
October, 15th Minneapolis Uptown/Lagoon
That's my theater! I'll see if I can make it...
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess they don't want me to see it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it will be at Sundance.
Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRR
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for RRR   Email RRR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm going to forget by then...
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

Uh, it won the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance. I'm pretty sure it was there. [Wink]
Chaeron
Member # 744

Ok, more dates available on the website. See them here: http://www.primermovie.com/theaters.html

And for the trailer: http://www.primermovie.com/trailer.html

If this movie gets enough exposure, it will certainly rank as one of the best and most truely cerebral science fiction movies ever made.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it tonight. I loved it - the intensity, the music, the script, the story. This was truly an Asimovian short story set to film.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
I'm going to forget by then...
I know myself well.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Any plans to make a DVD?

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that was pretty intense. It didn't come to Edmonton, so I downloaded it. I'm going to have to watch it again today, as I'm sure there are things that I missed.

www.primermovie.com has a pretty cool forum where Shane Carruth (the director and star) posts fairly often.

As for the DVD, I think it was supposed to come out today, but was apparently bumped back to Aprtil 19th. I can't wait to hear Carruth's commentary.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to rent it, since I was never anywhere near a theatre where it was playing...
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.